Virgin as a TV aerial?

Gaz FFC

My mother in-law doesn't have a TV aerial in the house.

She has Virgin coming in but wants to get rid of the TIVO box.

See the wall mounted box Virgin have coming in, can that be used as a Freeview Aerial or will she need a TV aerial up on the roof?

I seem to remember running a small aerial from my virgin box into my TV 15 years ago and it worked. Am I remembering wrong?

23 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

My mother in-law doesn't have a TV aerial in the house.

She has Virgin coming in but wants to get rid of the TIVO box.

See the wall mounted box Virgin have coming in, can that be used as a Freeview Aerial or will she need a TV aerial up on the roof?

I seem to remember running a small aerial from my virgin box into my TV 15 years ago and it worked. Am I remembering wrong?

If you don't have an aerial then you won't get Freeview. Depending on how close you are to a transmitter you might get away with an indoor aerial, worth trying.

I know on satellite you can basically stop paying Sky and downgrade to the free to air channels (basically Freesat), not sure if that's an option with Virgin.

4 hours ago, Ginaro said:

If you don't have an aerial then you won't get Freeview. Depending on how close you are to a transmitter you might get away with an indoor aerial, worth trying.

I know on satellite you can basically stop paying Sky and downgrade to the free to air channels (basically Freesat), not sure if that's an option with Virgin.

You can, unless you have Sky Q and you didnt specifically ask for a certain type of LNB when it was installed apparently. The standard LNBs they use for Sky Q dont work with most freeview devices