Help please : Refreshment Stands

Football by Film

Hello everyone, 

i have been asked to write an article for an upcoming magazine piece and I’m looking at focussing on Scottish Football’s iconic pie huts/refreshment stands around the grounds! 

I’ve already got the iconic pie hut from Arbroath but where else do you think should feature and can anyone help with access to take some photos at them? 

Thanks

On 16/01/2021 at 11:07, Football by Film said:

Hello everyone, 

i have been asked to write an article for an upcoming magazine piece and I’m looking at focussing on Scottish Football’s iconic pie huts/refreshment stands around the grounds! 

I’ve already got the iconic pie hut from Arbroath but where else do you think should feature and can anyone help with access to take some photos at them? 

Thanks

Fair play if you're going to try to use that to blag a press pass!

On 16/01/2021 at 11:07, Football by Film said:

Hello everyone, 

Thanks

Nothing special to look at, but any such article should include Alloa Athletic's. So good, it runs as a business even on non matchdays (or at least did, pre covid).

Alloa are nicknamed the wasps and play in black and gold. Last time I was there I had a 'Black & Gold Pie' - take a high-rim-edged pie, then put a spoonful of baked beans on top (held in place by the rim), then topped off with a slice of black pudding exactly the same circular size as the pie. Masterchef presentation of fitba food !

And Edinburgh University (Peffermill East) has superb home baking, albeit the refreshments room is just the ground floor of the general purpose building.

Edited by LeedsPhil

From the outside, the building containing the refreshments at Vale Of Leven (Alexandria - geographically near Loch Lomond, but culturally a million miles away) looks like a soviet bunker, but inside has amazing historic newspaper articles on the walls. If only half-time had been longer!

Stand-alone pie hut at Rothie Rovers, which was the only one I ever came across in the Aberdeenshire Amateurs (apart from those who shared at higher teams' grounds). No surprise that they stepped up to the Juniors.

Individual wooden pie hut at Cove Rangers, but new of course.

Others I can think of that aren't just hatches in main buildings walls - Tweedmouth Rangers, East Kilbride. Neither are photogenic.  

Go-ahead club Darvel had a smart new refreshments building when I was there.

'Double-glazing showroom' refreshments room at Port Glasgow's new-build.

And Kello Rovers' standalone bar made me smile - it's labelled The Rovers Return.

Edited by LeedsPhil

• 3 months later...

Club 59 is the name of the Rothes Supporters Club, or was before everyone lost interest. I dunno if it's still a thing. They had a supporters bar in the ground called Club 59 - the kind of place where tins of lager were free with a £3 raffle ticket and so on - but it was recently razed to the ground ahead of Rothes spending some of their newly found wealth on some significant ground improvements. 

The Rothes pie shop was bolted onto the back of that building IIRC, so they may be sans refreshments for the start of the season. Not that you'll fancy eating anything once you get there because of the smell. 

15 hours ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

Club 59 is the name of the Rothes Supporters Club, or was before everyone lost interest. I dunno if it's still a thing. They had a supporters bar in the ground called Club 59 - the kind of place where tins of lager were free with a £3 raffle ticket and so on - but it was recently razed to the ground ahead of Rothes spending some of their newly found wealth on some significant ground improvements. 

Aww, disappointing.  I've been in it once before and was most impressed with the poster that replaced 300 / Gerard Butler with 59 / Gonzo.

• 1 month later...