Help Please : Refreshment Stands

Hello everyone, 

i have been asked to write an article for an upcoming magazine piece and I’m looking at focussing on Scottish Football’s iconic pie huts/refreshment stands around the grounds! 

I’ve already got the iconic pie hut from Arbroath but where else do you think should feature and can anyone help with access to take some photos at them? 

Thanks

I attach the picture in my avatar which shows the Turnberry End at Boghead - I think it dates from the late 1980's.  The two-window block at the left-hand end was a refreshment stall  with serving hatches on both sides, ie on the outside and via a small stair on the covered terracing.

The Turnberry name came from the club buying the roof, lattice girderwork and pedestals of the Ayrshire railway station in the 1950's.; I think the pie stall was their own design !

Turnberry End Boghead.jpg

I attach the picture in my avatar which shows the Turnberry End at Boghead - I think it dates from the late 1980's.  The two-window block at the left-hand end was a refreshment stall  with serving hatches on both sides, ie on the outside and via a small stair on the covered terracing.
The Turnberry name came from the club buying the roof, lattice girderwork and pedestals of the Ayrshire railway station in the 1950's.; I think the pie stall was their own design !
587580197_TurnberryEndBoghead.jpg.cb5109aa71e2baa365ecdc169edaea8c.jpg

My wife used to complain how high the counter was.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

That's a great picture. Funnily enough don't think I ever saw it bathed in sunshine, only ever remember standing there in the pishing rain.  😅

A particular milestone for many Bairns fans is Boghead was the venue of origin of the legend that was, and is, "too near the keeker"...  Happy days. 

1 hour ago, Jumbo Muir said:

My wife used to complain how high the counter was.

I was only a kid at the time of Boghead but I always remember having to get someone to hand me my pie down from that counter. I always thought it was just because I was a kid but it's good to hear adults struggled with it too.

4 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Had a very happy day there late 70s cup quarters I think when we won 1-0. Big fight outside too, don't remember getting a pie that day though.

587580197_TurnberryEndBoghead.jpg.cb5109aa71e2baa365ecdc169edaea8c.jpg

Did both hatches open at the same time? My memory is of the inside one being the original opening and that then closed and the outside one being used. Could be wrong tho, it was a long time ago

15 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

Did both hatches open at the same time? My memory is of the inside one being the original opening and that then closed and the outside one being used. Could be wrong tho, it was a long time ago

Yeah, I only have a memory of the outside one being open. This would be in the 90s when the stadium was crumbling.

On 16/01/2021 at 14:22, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Did we not also have some sort of large plastic Bovril jar that they used to serve pies from? I was a young whippersnapper so my memory is hazy. I’ve tried to find a picture on google but had nae luck. 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

Did we not also have some sort of large plastic Bovril jar that they used to serve pies from? I was a young whippersnapper so my memory is hazy. I’ve tried to find a picture on google but had nae luck. 
I think you are thinking of the rather bizarre 'Kenco coffee jar' at the Silverton End in the last years of Boghead - I'm sure someone posted a picture of it fairly recently.

26 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think you are thinking of the rather bizarre 'Kenco coffee jar' at the Silverton End in the last years of Boghead - I'm sure someone posted a picture of it fairly recently.

Me!

521337888_Screenshot_20201014-143532_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.107db410eef2a16910f6a65b35dae366.jpg

Also, I do remember both sides of the Turnberry Pie shop being open at the same time, but only when we had a massive crowd. So, only very rarely.

I’d read that Clyde were planning on introducing a Tuna & Scampi pie for this season but obviously no supporters have had access. Intrigued to taste it. 

I remember thistle doing a cheesy bean pie not idea if it still exists?

On to more relevant things... pie huts. Forfar is decent for in this league. From the league two days always quite liked Stenhousemuir & the chips down in Berwick.