Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi 24/1/21

Lex

33 minutes ago, the west curve said:

Brophy is some player.

To be fair to him, the first time he received a pass to his feet anywhere near the box was after Obika came on. 

I personally would have started Obika anyway. Brophy ended up straying further and further to get any of the ball. 

Jim has got some big questions to answer now. Can he find a line-up that actually threatens any sides (and I don't mean just passing it about nicely in the first two thirds)? Can he actually make two up front work? If not, why did we sign Brophy? If Foley and Flynn are as finished at St Mirren as it would appear, then we urgently need an experienced replacement in the middle of midfield because Erhahon need a rest and Cammy isn't quite the answer. 

Fear at the starting 11 well placed. Handed the initiative to Livvy right from the off with a negative line up and as soon as the scored we had Everest to climb.

Too many mistakes to mention them all but Mason is not a left winger. We had one of them sitting on the bench !

Cannot play with two defensive midfielders against a team like Livvi. We need to be taking the game to them, not handing them territory to take the initiative !

Brophy never has been and never will be a lone striker. Not sure what Jim said to him when signing but I'd be surprised if it was along the lines of I intend to play you up top yourself !

Mental subs again. Connolly was just coming into the game when hooked, can only assume he was injured. Needed Obika and Durmus on before McAllister !

Congratulations to Livvi but can't help think we shot ourselves in the foot there !

Another master class from Martindaleho, came out the traps fast and bossed the game till we got a goal, then shitfested our way to the final, deciding he'd game manage the final 80 mins plus 5 mins ET. 

We had strong attacking options from the bench but didn't see the need to try and get another goal when he could shore it up even more with Fitzwater and Longridge. Some heart in the mouth moments near the end, and not good for the ticker of us Livi fans watching it, but we're in the final and i'm absolutely buzzing. 

1 hour ago, Ric said:

Not good enough, is the honest assessment. Livi were the better team for about 20 minutes then weren't the worst team for the rest of the match.

Certainly puts quite a lot of pressure onto Goodwin. The board have backed him and he needs to get back to winning games.

Fitba fans, eh? You beat Aberdeen then Rangers in the Cup, then very narrowly lose against the second best form team in the league and there’s pressure on your manager? Really?

St. Mirren fans seem oblivious to why Goodwin stuck two left backs on the park - the majority of our recent success coming from attacks from Josh Mullin and Nicky Devlin. Mullin was nullified as a result and we looked a lot less threatening as a result. 

If we didn't score early, St. Mirren probably would have won that game.

1 minute ago, EdinburghLivi said:

St. Mirren fans seem oblivious to why Goodwin stuck two left backs on the park - the majority of our recent success coming from attacks from Josh Mullin and Nicky Devlin. Mullin was nullified as a result and we looked a lot less threatening as a result. 

If we didn't score early, St. Mirren probably would have won that game.

Mason is a waste of a jersey offers nothing and was the main reason the smallest player on the pitch scored the winning goal. Livingston are a good side but in the second half  they were there for the taking. Sadly for us we never turned up today and haven’t done so since we knocked out the Govan tribute act. 

Goodwin got the starting line up all wrong and he knows it. Erhahon and McPherson were up against far too many experienced players in the Livi midfield, Goodwin should have went with Flynn and Foley.

Gutted that he never set us up to win the game from kick off.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Fitba fans, eh? You beat Aberdeen then Rangers in the Cup, then very narrowly lose against the second best form team in the league and there’s pressure on your manager? Really?

All that comment does is underline how little attention you've been paying towards our squad selection, setup and tactics. Now... don't paint me as calling for Goodwin's head, that would hyperbolic nonsense, but it's clear he is not getting the best out of a squad that is, on paper, certainly should be doing better. My post is entirely correct.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

To be fair to him, the first time he received a pass to his feet anywhere near the box was after Obika came on. 

I personally would have started Obika anyway. Brophy ended up straying further and further to get any of the ball. 

Jim has got some big questions to answer now. Can he find a line-up that actually threatens any sides (and I don't mean just passing it about nicely in the first two thirds)? Can he actually make two up front work? If not, why did we sign Brophy? If Foley and Flynn are as finished at St Mirren as it would appear, then we urgently need an experienced replacement in the middle of midfield because Erhahon need a rest and Cammy isn't quite the answer. 

I honestly can’t see a player in Erhahon. Unpopular opinion but I just can’t see a player in him. 

2 minutes ago, Ric said:

All that comment does is underline how little attention you've been paying towards our squad selection, setup and tactics. Now... don't paint me as calling for Goodwin's head, that would hyperbolic nonsense, but it's clear he is not getting the best out of a squad that is, on paper, certainly should be doing better. My post is entirely correct.

“ Certainly puts quite a lot of pressure onto Goodwin” was your quote.

Didn't play this game as a cup tie for the 90+ minutes like we did in the previous two rounds.

After scoring Livi were pretty comfortable till we reached the "kitchen sink" stage of the match. Should've made the Durmus/Mason switch at H/T - might as well have lost 2/3-0 there was on GD to defend.

Edited by btb

25 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Bloody hell, that’s exactly what I said in my original post and you’re having a go at me saying that you said that your manager was under pressure.

Not really sure the point you are making here, or why you have singled out my post in particular. Others have been far harsher than I have.

I said we weren't good enough - which we weren't, that the board have backed him - which they have, and that our faltering form has left us in a position in the league where there will be pressure on Goodwin to start winning games again - which it has and there is.

Seems entirely straight forward and something I'd expect most, if not all, St Mirren fans would agree with.

Edited by Ric

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Mason is a waste of a jersey offers nothing and was the main reason the smallest player on the pitch scored the winning goal. Livingston are a good side but in the second half  they were there for the taking. Sadly for us we never turned up today and haven’t done so since we knocked out the Govan tribute act. 

Goodwin got the starting line up all wrong and he knows it. Erhahon and McPherson were up against far too many experienced players in the Livi midfield, Goodwin should have went with Flynn and Foley.

Gutted that he never set us up to win the game from kick off.

We'd just have thrown on Forrest and scored another if needed.