Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi 24/1/21

Lex

9 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I understand completely, as most folk I know follow one of the Old Firm, too. I enjoy not being one of the sheep, indeed I revel in it and wear my colours with pride. Like you I enjoy supporting the underdog club, which we are in the SPFL, given our budget. With fan ownership on the horizon, I'm really optimistic about our future.  I'm also proud of our support, and the likes of the recent win against Rangers gives me immense pleasure, when I expect none. How I wish we could have been in the stadium for that one. 

I have the utmost respect for any Scottish football fan that does not follow either of the old firm. To follow a team where to win a championship, a cup, a trophy will rarely happen is the mark of a true fan, to follow the old firm (not so much Rangers over the last 8 years or so) where success (cup league championship etc) is pretty much expected if not almost guaranteed every few years smacks of glory hunters, I don't necessarily blame kids as when at school its easy to fall into that trap of looking at and supporting the successful teams. For Livi, St Mirren, Hibs and St Johnstone fans this is what we really look forward to Semi finals and the chance to get to the final and possibly win a cup. 

I would wish you guys the best of luck, but hope Lady luck deserts you on Sunday and I have that feeling of Livi getting to the final. 

19 minutes ago, Lothiangamer said:

I have the utmost respect for any Scottish football fan that does not follow either of the old firm. To follow a team where to win a championship, a cup, a trophy will rarely happen is the mark of a true fan, to follow the old firm (not so much Rangers over the last 8 years or so) where success (cup league championship etc) is pretty much expected if not almost guaranteed every few years smacks of glory hunters, I don't necessarily blame kids as when at school its easy to fall into that trap of looking at and supporting the successful teams. For Livi, St Mirren, Hibs and St Johnstone fans this is what we really look forward to Semi finals and the chance to get to the final and possibly win a cup. 

I agree with all that. I believe people should support their local club. I know folk who've lived in Paisley all their lives and have no attachment to their town's club, and I find it astonishing.

I would wish you guys the best of luck, but hope Lady luck deserts you on Sunday and I have that feeling of Livi getting to the final. 

I have that feeling, too. :( 

15 minutes ago, Lothiangamer said:

To follow a team where to win a championship, a cup, a trophy will rarely happen is the mark of a true fan, to follow the old firm (not so much Rangers over the last 8 years or so) where success (cup league championship etc) is pretty much expected if not almost guaranteed every few years smacks of glory hunters, I don't necessarily blame kids as when at school its easy to fall into that trap of looking at and supporting the successful teams. For Livi, St Mirren, Hibs and St Johnstone fans this is what we really look forward to Semi finals and the chance to get to the final and possibly win a cup.

That’s the point I was, badly, trying to make. For the OF, what would constitute a similar success when compared to Livingston winning a League Cup?

A Europa League win?...I would say most definitely. However with the standard of the teams in the Europa League nowadays that is highly unlikely.  

Getting to the last 16 of the UCL? Debatable. Hardly going to see open top bus parades, or fans out celebrating for days after something like that. 

I genuinely don’t know what else could be compared to it. Celtic just won the treble 4 seasons in a row, and the celebrations in Paisley after their League Cup win or the scenes after Hibs Scottish Cup win, make the Celtic fans celebrations look like they were politely clapping a Rory McIlroy par putt at the Open championship. 

2 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Was a Celtic supporter until my mid teens then just got fed up of the nonsense that surrounds the club/Old Firm. I got to an age where going to Celtic games and mixing with other Celtic supporters became a quite depressing experience, associating myself with people that I didn’t want to be associated with, and who’s life and mood revolves around the performance of the team. The mentality of some Celtic fans that the success of the team on the pitch somehow reflected back on them as a person has always been something I’ve struggled to understand, and when I got old enough to realise that was a very prevalent view amongst the support I stopped attending. I genuinely believe that if I was still going to Parkhead and supporting Celtic, I would have acquired some very toxic personality traits.

I live in Renfrewshire now and have attended the odd St Mirren game as far back as the days of Tom Hendrie, mainly due to the free tickets handed out to schools and also to the Boys club I played for as a kid. When I stopped going to Parkhead around 2010, a St Mirren supporting friend asked if I wanted to go to a game with him. Gus MacPherson was the manager at the time but it was close to the end of his tenure if I remember rightly. I tagged along that day and have been going regularly ever since. I think I just enjoy supporting the ‘underdog’ more, I know St Mirren aren’t the underdog in every game they play, and certainly not when they were in the Championship, but I much prefer the mentality of the fan who can go to a game every week, supporting a team not in expectation of a win, but only with the hope of a win, and taking everything that comes their way and still being there the week after.

Edited to say this account was made in 2008, if I was able to change the username I would. 

I was the exact same I stopped watching Celtic when they were one of the best teams in Europe .I stood in the away end at love street watching Celtic beat saints 6-0 and something just clicked and I have been watching saints ever since as do three of my five boys with the other two having no interest in football.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Great post; nice to know how that came about.

I feel your pain on the username front. I've not lived in Coventry for 14 years. Time flies.

I do cringe at the username now, but in 2008 when I signed up to this site I was at every Celtic home game that season. I was born in Enniskillen but lived just over the border in the Republic of Ireland for the first few years of my life, which accounts for the Irish part of the name. 

Also, I’ve just realised I’ve been on this forum for over 12 years. That’s scary. 

30 minutes ago, elvis said:

I was the exact same I stopped watching Celtic when they were one of the best teams in Europe .I stood in the away end at love street watching Celtic beat saints 6-0 and something just clicked and I have been watching saints ever since as do three of my five boys with the other two having no interest in football.

Guarantee your boys will have a better time following St Mirren over Celtic. Some of the lows might be lower, but the highs will definitely be higher. 

In the short time I’ve followed St Mirren I’ve seen them adrift at the bottom of the Championship, but I’ve also seen them beat Celtic in a semi-final at Hampden and then win the Final. 

Edited to say - Just went and checked, and the last ever game I attended at Parkhead was a 4-0 victory over Motherwell, at the end of a season where Rangers had already won the league, and there was about 20,000 fans in the stadium. I think it was during that game where I said to myself I wouldn’t be back, and I haven’t. 

Supporting Celtic is a bit like watching Lewis Hamilton racing a Formula 1 car against a bunch of 750cc go karts, but the stands are rammed full of Lewis Hamilton fans, who cheer every win like Lewis Hamilton is also in a go kart. They ignore the fact he’s in a Formula 1 car, because they are so desperate for that success. If one of those go karts would ever manage to beat Lewis Hamilton, the fans would just point to all the previous times where he won easily. That’s what it’s like to support one of the OF.

Edited by IrishBhoy

3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Was a Celtic supporter until my mid teens then just got fed up of the nonsense that surrounds the club/Old Firm...

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

I feel your pain on the username front. I've not lived in Coventry for 14 years. Time flies.

If we're making confessions, I'm not actually a lion.

4 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Guarantee your boys will have a better time following St Mirren over Celtic. Some of the lows might be lower, but the highs will definitely be higher. 

In the short time I’ve followed St Mirren I’ve seen them adrift at the bottom of the Championship, but I’ve also seen them beat Celtic in a semi-final at Hampden and then win the Final. 

Have you ever read Elvis's posts on BAWA? 🤣

34 minutes ago, elvis said:

As I said, I know of a few Old Firm fans who've seen the light, though most seem to switch to Thistle. Your experience sounds like an epiphany. 

8 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

Have you ever read Elvis's posts on BAWA? 🤣

Well I have read a few of his posts on this forum and I believe he has predicted us to lose every game we have ever played :lol: 

I think most St Mirren supporters are naturally pessimistic tbf. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

Well I have read a few of his posts on this forum and I believe he has predicted us to lose every game we have ever played :lol: 

I think most St Mirren supporters are naturally pessimistic tbf. 

Not so much on here. But aye, that's what I was referring to.  :lol: 

15 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

The black and white flags on lamp posts around the town is a nice touch. Certainly gave me a wee boost when I was driving into work .

The digital advertising board near the rail bridge at the Linwood Toll has been showing big Obika and advertising the semi final since last weekend. Always enjoy seeing it as I drive home from work, although would prefer to see more of it. Think they do the same up on Renfrew Road at Reid Kerr college. 

The black and white flags on lamp posts around the town is a nice touch. Certainly gave me a wee boost when I was driving into work .

The digital advertising board near the rail bridge at the Linwood Toll has been showing big Obika and advertising the semi final since last weekend. Always enjoy seeing it as I drive home from work, although would prefer to see more of it. Think they do the same up on Renfrew Road at Reid Kerr college. 

17 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Are the Hampden pitch dimensions not exactly the same as the SMP dimensions? It only looks a bigger pitch due to the distance from the pitch to the stands, and possibly the camera angles. 

They mentioned this on misery hunters, it’s deceiving because of the stands

12 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

the bad days make the good days brilliant.

i remember coming out of a previous league cup final just before the opposition were about to be presented with the trophy and was amazed there were thousands of opposition fans outside the stadium.they couldn’t be bothered waiting to see their team get the cup.

17 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Are the Hampden pitch dimensions not exactly the same as the SMP dimensions? It only looks a bigger pitch due to the distance from the pitch to the stands, and possibly the camera angles. 

Correct, 105m x 68m.

If wikipedia is to be believed (I know), Livingston's pitch is actually wider at 69m. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almondvale_Stadium