Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi 24/1/21

Lex

I can’t get up for this one at all. Under normal circumstances, I’d now be thinking about when to leave, what time I wanted to get there, best place to park, where’s my ‘lucky’ 2013 final scarf, etc. I’d be thinking about four clubs in the semis and not an ugly sister in sight. All I’m thinking about is my credit card number to add on Premier Sports for a month, and when best to take on the facemask Nazis at the door of my local Tesco to get a few cans and a packet of cheese & onion in place. If we win, then the realisation really kicks in that we’ll all miss a national cup final. Fcuk.

If we’re just talking about the football match itself, then Livingston are clearly the form team. On a great run, and obviously full of confidence and belief. However, if St Mirren ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, go into any match against a like-for-like Scottish opponent such as Livingston or Hamilton, Ross County or whoever, with the attitude that they’re about to face Barcelona or Brazil 1970... then we might as well chuck it. It’s St Mirren v Livingston, ten without defeat or not. Get fucking intae’ thum’.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Fully bought into the David Martindale Redemption Story now, so I will be supporting the Livingston Lions in the League Cup this weekend.

Guess this is going to come down to who's on the bigger character arc in this movie. Martindale, and his battles with drugs and the law, or Saints and our battles with the impact of the 'Rona. Our story feels more 'of the moment', but Livi's is certainly compelling. Even Celtic have been playing along.

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Guess this is going to come down to who's on the bigger character arc in this movie. Martindale, and his battles with drugs and the law, or Saints and our battles with the impact of the 'Rona. Our story feels more 'of the moment', but Livi's is certainly compelling. Even Celtic have been playing along.

Martindale's story is pure Hollywood to be fair. An ex-con who only got his break as a volunteer, before going on to basically run the club and leading an under-resourced team to legendary status by winning a national trophy? It's The Shawshank Redemption, Moneyball and A Shot At Glory all rolled into one.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Martindale's story is pure Hollywood to be fair. An ex-con who only got his break as a volunteer, before going on to basically run the club and leading an under-resourced team to legendary status by winning a national trophy? It's The Shawshank Redemption, Moneyball and A Shot At Glory all rolled into one.

We’ll draw a veil under their plucky underdog, under-resourced previous national trophy win, third place league finish, European fitba’, administrations, failing to pay their stadium rent, payoffs and previous appointments of well-dodgy management.

Mon’ the Saints.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

You could add “The Gentlemen” as a precursor to Shawshank or some other UK drug film. His story is remarkable. I hope some of the Scottish drug charities champion him around the prison community as to what can be achieved.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

We’ll draw a veil under their plucky underdog, under-resourced previous national trophy win, third place league finish, European fitba’, administrations, failing to pay their stadium rent, payoffs and previous appointments of well-dodgy management.

Mon’ the Saints.

See, these things add to the narrative, rather than detract from it.

Does anyone have Tarantino's number? I think he needs to take a look at this.

8 minutes ago, G51 said:

See, these things add to the narrative, rather than detract from it.

Does anyone have Tarantino's number? I think he needs to take a look at this.

I do. I’ve spoken to him about Martindale, but he says he is waiting to see whether this season is declared null and void as he feels there may be a bigger story about to happen. 😂 

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Saints ended Sevco’s 27game unbeaten record in the last round. Bring it on.

We have lost 3 games in our last 17 games. With some Saints fans you would think we are sitting at the bottom of the league with 1 win 😅 Thus far this has been our best season in many a year. 

47 minutes ago, G51 said:

tumblr_nwa624IwAA1r1d4hmo9_250.gif.7ab6cf12a888801984462df9d2a5fdd3.gif

Edited by Coventry Saint

5 hours ago, Yflab said:

Defensively Saints have a good record. You have to go as far back as 12th September to find a team that put 3 goals past us and that was when we had Zlamal in goals for us due to the COVID goalkeeping issue. 

We have a lot of experience in the defence of players who have got to major finals. That could prove key in this tie. Sure Livingston are rightly favourites but you should back your team. You might regret it on Sunday. 

COYS

To be fair, on the run that we're on we've scored 22 and conceded 5 in the unbeaten 10 games. Even going back it's been 31 scored and 8 conceded in 13. 

I can see this being a 1-0 to either side in a cagey nervous match

21 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair, on the run that we're on we've scored 22 and conceded 5 in the unbeaten 10 games. Even going back it's been 31 scored and 8 conceded in 13. 

I can see this being a 1-0 to either side in a cagey nervous match

It's a shame this run your on is during the pandemic as I'm sure more locals would be along to watch you. 

25 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

It's a shame this run your on is during the pandemic as I'm sure more locals would be along to watch you. 

Aye might have increased the home attendance by 10 fold.

4 hours ago, G51 said:

Who'd play him in the film, Robert Duvall is getting on a bit now.