Livingston v St Mirren League Cup Semi 24/1/21

Lex

3 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Before the 2013 semi final Ross County beat us 4-1. Celtic were strolling along in the league but we beat them 3-2. 1987 we lost our league game before the semi. In 1959 Celtic gave us a tanking in the league before the semi final. We then beat Celtic 4-0 in the semi final. As I wrote cup games take care of themselves.  

While I take your point - that surprises can happen and form can go out the window - I'm personally not one of those who thinks you can use stuff from history as omens.

2 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Anyone seen any markets for this? Can't see it anywhere on bet365. Perhaps they're waiting till after Livi's game with Celtic.

I'd saw St Mirren 6/1 for the cup which is tidy odds given it's two one off games

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

While I take your point - that surprises can happen and form can go out the window - I'm personally not one of those who thinks you can use stuff from history as omens.

Not using history as a omen just pointing out form goes out the window in a cup semi/ final. Did Thistle not beat Celtic in the league cup final then get  relegation the same year. As much as I want Saints to win the cup I'm happy for any of the four teams to win it. No old firm this season is magic. 

8 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

In 1959 Celtic gave us a tanking in the league before the semi final. We then beat Celtic 4-0 in the semi final.

In 1959 Stirling Albion beat us 3-0 the week before the 4--0 win over Celtic.

You're thinking of 1962 where Celtic won 5-0 at Love St on the Monday before the semi which Saints won 3-1.

Before the 2013 semi final Ross County beat us 4-1. Celtic were strolling along in the league but we beat them 3-2. 1987 we lost our league game before the semi. In 1959 Celtic gave us a tanking in the league before the semi final. We then beat Celtic 4-0 in the semi final. As I wrote cup games take care of themselves.  

Remember that Ross County game clearly, it was in Paisley aswell! We were absolutely honking. If you think the performance last Saturday was bad have a look back at that game, we were next levels of shite.

It would be a bit of an upset if we get through here. We’re out of form and missing key players. Livi are absolutely flying. All signs points to them winning comfortably.

However, us knocking out Aberdeen was an upset, as was us knocking out Rangers. We have more of a chance here than we did in either of those games. Hoping that Celtic can beat them tonight and at least end that ridiculous run they’re on before this game, but I fancy Livi in that one too.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Remember that Ross County game clearly, it was in Paisley aswell!

Ivan Sproule made his debut and scored two. I remember feeling like that's the sort of thing that never happens to us - only for Isma to do something similar the following weekend

2 hours ago, Lex said:

Remember that Ross County game clearly, it was in Paisley aswell! We were absolutely honking. If you think the performance last Saturday was bad have a look back at that game, we were next levels of shite.

It would be a bit of an upset if we get through here. We’re out of form and missing key players. Livi are absolutely flying. All signs points to them winning comfortably.

However, us knocking out Aberdeen was an upset, as was us knocking out Rangers. We have more of a chance here than we did in either of those games. Hoping that Celtic can beat them tonight and at least end that ridiculous run they’re on before this game, but I fancy Livi in that one too.

Will Celtic still be without most of their first team squad for this?

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

Cool, seems a bit mean, but I'm hoping they can give you a hard game 🙂 

We're resting a few players by the sounds of things anyway, more worried about St Mirren than Celtic; not something I thought I'd be saying a few years ago :lol:

We’ve managed to do the hard bit by knocking out Rangers, it will be a real sickener to lose out on a place in the final after coming this far.

Its a one off game and anything can happen. I just hope we turn up on the day and don’t take our recent league form into this cup semi-final.

On 19/01/2021 at 19:35, Coventry Saint said:

Anyone seen any markets for this? Can't see it anywhere on bet365. Perhaps they're waiting till after Livi's game with Celtic.

Prices up now on 365,

Livi odds on - 19/20, Draw 12/5, Saints 12/5

11 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I bet St Mirren didn't think they'd be going up against 10 (unbeaten) in a row champions in this semi final

Probably not but teams can unexpectedly put runs together, when we beat the Saintees just before Xmas that was our 11th game in a row unbeaten.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Ladbrokes not available yet. I have money in my account with them, so will be using that. I'm not one to bet against my own team, but I really can't see anything other than a Livingston win - 3-1, maybe 4-1. I will see what I get for a correct score, as I will be even more raging if they win by that and I don't at least cash in on it. :(

8 hours ago, Ralstonite said:

Ladbrokes not available yet. I have money in my account with them, so will be using that. I'm not one to bet against my own team, but I really can't see anything other than a Livingston win - 3-1, maybe 4-1. I will see what I get for a correct score, as I will be even more raging if they win by that and I don't at least cash in on it. :(

Defensively Saints have a good record. You have to go as far back as 12th September to find a team that put 3 goals past us and that was when we had Zlamal in goals for us due to the COVID goalkeeping issue. 

We have a lot of experience in the defence of players who have got to major finals. That could prove key in this tie. Sure Livingston are rightly favourites but you should back your team. You might regret it on Sunday. 

COYS