Do you have a spare 5 minutes? If so, click the link below to read TotT's article discussing: 

• The Contemporary issues with the Scottish game
  • The curse of the English Premier League
  •  How our game can appeal to the masses

Do you agree? Leave a comment sharing your thoughts, we would love to hear them. Cheers.

https://touroftheterraces.wordpress.com/2021/01/12/is-scottish-football-dying/

I strongly believe that the main attraction of the English Premier League is not rooted in the quality of the players, nor the substance of the matches but it comes from the overall aesthetic that Sky, BT, and other media outlets have created for the Premier League

Huge if true 

this is why scottish football will never die
levels above anything from the english top flight

I would also like to add this to the mix of "Scottish fitba soundbites."

I can't find it, but "Ah've booked Belgrade!" from the Kilmarnock v Connahs Quay game is right up there for me. The sheer anguish.

As a Welshman with an English upbringing living in Scotland I've always thought Scottish football has a lot more personality and quirkiness. That my mate from Latvia feels the same tends to speak volumes that there is an audience for Scottish football but it's a bit like non-league fans down south. I actually loathe the aesthetic of the Premier League, but I'm an increasingly old c**t who was more fascinated with non-league football even as a kid, not someone who buys the year on year roster update for the FIFA franchise.

I think when you look at the demographic of non-league crowds they tend to be older - my Dad grew up a Villa fan, and while he still follows them he's more likely these days (well, when you could anyway) go to a non-league club local to him. There's definitely a greater sense of community in Scottish football in the same way as  lower league down south and I don't really see that dying. 

I guess one of the main issues I was always taught growing up in England was the kind of omnipresence of the Old Firm, and I was told everyone in Scotland supports one or the other, but to be honest since I've lived here I've found that to be pish.

I think football in general now suffers from saturation, I mean Premier sport or Eurosport were showing the Norwegian league at one point (maybe it was the only league playing at the time), I mean is anyone watching that who doesn't happen to be a Norwegian in the UK?  I've worked with a fair number of Norwegians and most of them supported a Premier League club.

Well, ramble over.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I strongly believe that the main attraction of the English Premier League is not rooted in the quality of the players, nor the substance of the matches but it comes from the overall aesthetic that Sky, BT, and other media outlets have created for the Premier League

Huge if true 

unfortunately its not.....as we all know footballs about opinions AND these types of arguments are flawed from the start as they assume "Football Fans" are the same and watch football for the same reasons. They aren't and they don't, people are much more fickle than that.

You could be here forever arguing this one so maybe i'll use an example from last nights games.

the most watched and repeated segment this morning on SSN was Shanklands screamer. A wonder goal from the scottish league. If its news worthy Sky wont care if its English or Scottish if it engages the viewers.

Whatever game is on their channel they try to SELL they over hype all games importance to drum up viewers. In general though the quality of the players means most will watch the EP that and parochialism.

I watched James Rodriguez stroll around molinuex last night and ping perfect 60 yard passes everytime with 3 men hassling him at all opportunities. He plays for a mid table English team not even in Europe and was a joy to watch. He's far better than any player thats played in the SPL in the last 20 years.

Thats the football I liked to watch - but others will prefer the blood and thunder stuff thats full of hefty challenges, plenty of mistakes and end to end stuff.

Others would rather count the passes, assists and XGs and barely actually just watch the game...

: ) ended up a rambling miss this post but basically my point was.

1. You cant boil down why people watch football to one reason

2. Scottish football will go nowhere if it continues to compare itself to England.

3 hours ago, Dylangt7 said:

I watched James Rodriguez stroll around molinuex last night and ping perfect 60 yard passes everytime with 3 men hassling him at all opportunities. He plays for a mid table English team not even in Europe and was a joy to watch. He's far better than any player thats played in the SPL in the last 20 years...

3 hours ago, Dylangt7 said:

...Scottish football will go nowhere if it continues to compare itself to England.

Wise words mate.

2 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Did anyone in the English Premier League score a goal from 53 yards last night?

No. They did not.

Exactly.  Keepers in the English Premier League are much better.

English football is absolutely shite.

SUPER SUNDAY: Aston Villa v Crystal Palace.... f**k right off . I'd rather watch a league 2 game up here

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Good luck with that.

English Premier football is boring, and yeah I'd rather go and watch lower league games too - less quality but you can connect with the players,like the old days. Get it rid of the money,get the game back.

17 minutes ago, Romeo said:

English football is absolutely shite.

SUPER SUNDAY: Aston Villa v Crystal Palace.... f**k right off . I'd rather watch a league 2 game up here

I used to watch a lot of the English game but I'd say for about 10 years or so now it's become fairly dire. Scottish football is so much more entertaining. Not a better standard, but way better to watch. I may be biased.

15 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

English Premier football is boring, and yeah I'd rather go and watch lower league games too - less quality but you can connect with the players,like the old days. Get it rid of the money,get the game back.

WHOOOOSH!

More clips of people losing the place after conceding to the Wasps, please.