Dundee v Ayr United

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

Disappointing call off, was looking forward to seeing Wright tonight and i fancied us to take something from the game.

In the current situation regarding the week to week uncertainty of covid, i think the SPFL/SFA and clubs need to come up with an agreement where in situations like today the venue is switched or if after 2 postponements the other team are awarded 3 points. Somerset pitch would have been fine for tonight i'd imagine so no reason to stop the venue being switched if enough advance timing was given. 

Just takes a bit of creative thinking which i know is asking a lot of Scottish Football however it's best way to keep teams having played a level amount of games so you don't end up with large indifferences. If season was to be stopped and based on current league positions it would stop issues like last year with QOS/Partick Thistle game in hand debate. 

Seems to be a questionable call off all round with weather not being too bad now in Dundee and the possibility that Dundee have done a sly one not putting down covers or USH so they can have a few more days rest for injuries to heal, only Dundee will know if every possible effort to get the game on was made, when a game is called of 8 and a half hours before kick off with only 4 hours needed for team travel and warm up i'd say not. Will attach pictures below of Tannadice today (allegedly, considering groundsmans wearing shorts) and also picture of McMullan signing today with pitch in background looking better than it did 10 days ago so you can think of them what you will.

Why would we want to switch venue with our injury list? 

The light rain these last 2 hours would’ve seen the game on no problem.....

46 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

@rb123! You've stepped off the deep end a bit there. I share your disappointment but you can't go awarding the 3 points after 2 postponements. Thats nuts.

I was meaning for just now with all the covid stuff to avoid as many backlogs with fixtures as possible, i mean look at Inverness they're already 4 games behind QOS who've played the most and for arguments sake if Inverness were to win those four games that would take them from 8th to 2nd and only 3 points behind Hearts which is quite a difference. I wasn't meaning for it to be a permanent thing going forward. 

Do stick to my proposal of venue switch just now with no supporters income to take into account, i'm sure some form of agreement could be reached to share the PPV income more equally or something. 

14 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Why would we want to switch venue with our injury list? 

The light rain these last 2 hours would’ve seen the game on no problem.....

I think just now clubs should be open to more flexibility and change at late notice. Even if yesterday, pitch condition and weather forecast had been looked at and there was a sense the game could be in danger the decision could have been made yesterday to switch venues, that way you'd at least get over 24hrs notice. Just think clubs can't slip too many games behind incase you can't catch up, a covid outbreak at a club would immediately put you back another 2 or 3 games at most. I know i'm wasting my time cause clubs would never agree to it or the governing body probably don't even have the brain capacity to have thought of that.

Just now, rb123! said:

I was meaning for just now with all the covid stuff to avoid as many backlogs with fixtures as possible, i mean look at Inverness they're already 4 games behind QOS who've played the most and for arguments sake if Inverness were to win those four games that would take them from 8th to 2nd and only 3 points behind Hearts which is quite a difference. I wasn't meaning for it to be a permanent thing going forward. 

Do stick to my proposal of venue switch just now with no supporters income to take into account, i'm sure some form of agreement could be reached to share the PPV income more equally or something. 

I think just now clubs should be open to more flexibility and change at late notice. Even if yesterday, pitch condition and weather forecast had been looked at and there was a sense the game could be in danger the decision could have been made yesterday to switch venues, that way you'd at least get over 24hrs notice. Just think clubs can't slip too many games behind incase you can't catch up, a covid outbreak at a club would immediately put you back another 2 or 3 games at most. I know i'm wasting my time cause clubs would never agree to it or the governing body probably don't even have the brain capacity to have thought of that.

Here’s an even better idea. Limit the amount of games in January and play more in April/May/June

2 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Here’s an even better idea. Limit the amount of games in January and play more in April/May/June

I do think it was pretty stupid idea rearranging this game for only 10 days after the original one when the weather is so shite just now, hope the new date they use a bit of sense and punt it down the road a few more weeks in the hope of improved weather. 

17 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I do think it was pretty stupid idea rearranging this game for only 10 days after the original one when the weather is so shite just now, hope the new date they use a bit of sense and punt it down the road a few more weeks in the hope of improved weather. 

There is no chance of that. They made it quite clear from the word go that games would have to be rearranged asap to leave as much room as possible in the calendar for potential Covid postponement catch ups. If you were sitting through a mild January not arranging games in case it's a bit cold and then landing with a hard February and a few Covid postponements you could have several teams running with 3 games a week to get things finished. We still could even as it has been. Us having gotten our games on in part due to the 3G pitch whatever anyone thinks of it, could end up being a real bonus.

The COVID situation is improving every day. The 7 day rolling average of new cases is back to where it was 50 days ago and 1/2 of where it was 2 weeks ago. We’ve immunised roughly 10% of the population (of those who are going to be immunised that is) - why are we wetting our panties now? Just because United and ICT are going bust there’s no need for hyperbole.

13 hours ago, rb123! said:

There are postponements and fixture backlogs every year, and there is plenty of wiggle room left in the calendar to sort them out. There's no need to do anything drastic, just keep going more or less as normal and the games will get played.

People are constantly going on about the tight fixture schedule and so on because the SPFL were talking about it for the Premiership clubs in August. In reality, the only clubs who had the serious potential for fixture issues were Celtic and Rangers, since they could go far in Europe and be unable to catch up in those midweeks. However, Celtic being pumped out early and Rangers getting knocked out of the League Cup before the semis meant that was much less of an issue.

13 minutes ago, The Master said:

I would find it simultaneously hilarious and embarrassing if the Inverness game on the 6th goes ahead, but f**ks up the pitch so much that this game is postponed again. 

Happy to just share the points the now 

I remember I used to think Dens was near impossible of having a game postponed. We had 1 against Hibs, mid-game whic h the ref abandoned as we were 2-0 up due to snow (which cleared about 10 minutes after the ref abandoned it) back in 2002. And I'm sure we had a few in the intertwining period, but the next I remember was when I was just outside Dens and the floodlights cut off against Ayr, funnily enough.  Since then it's been a shambles and against Ayr in particular there's been a number of call offs.

19 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I remember I used to think Dens was near impossible of having a game postponed. We had 1 against Hibs, mid-game whic h the ref abandoned as we were 2-0 up due to snow (which cleared about 10 minutes after the ref abandoned it) back in 2002. And I'm sure we had a few in the intertwining period, but the next I remember was when I was just outside Dens and the floodlights cut off against Ayr, funnily enough.  Since then it's been a shambles and against Ayr in particular there's been a number of call offs.

Absolutely agree 100% Ludo with the above.

After the installation of the under-soil heating system the only concern at one time, even in the worst of winter was the condition of the streets outside regarding public safety issues. I also recall drainage issues at the Bob Shankly Stand end following the actual construction of the stands, however this issue was supposedly dealt with years ago.

Appears a simple equation of lack of income equals vastly reduced budgets, understandable in the circs.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Surely the clubs would be able to switch the game to Somerset then the final fixture at Dens? 

To be -3/-4 at Ayr next week so would be irrelevant, agree though is becoming a shambles, have said at least 2 if not 3 times should be canned down the round until end of March in hope of better weather. 

Also Dundee fans wtf has happened to your pitch? Is there a fundamental drainage issue or something. You've not played a home game this year and doesn't look like you'll be playing on Tuesday night either with forecast showing -3/-4 and snow in Dundee area, that waterlogged surface will just turn into an ice rink