Saintees vs Saints 16/1/21

5 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I think the biggest problem today was a lack of anyone in the middle of the park to put their foot on the ball. Our midfield aside from JDH is poor, can’t pick a pass and can’t hold up the ball so our strikers got isolated. Unless we can improve dramatically in midfield, we need to stick with 1 up front and stifle the middle of the park.

Think you’re being very unfair on McGrath; thought he was our best player today - though that wasn’t saying much.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've said it before, I can probably count on one hand, in 25 years of going, the number of times we've had a straightforward win against St. Johnstone.

It's fucking ingrained at St. Mirren that we always perform poorly against your lot. Even in seasons when we are doing well.

Would agree with that, we're always brutal in Perth. Worrying thing is, the previous 2 games we've been piss poor as well. In the bottom half only us and killie never picked up points today, so again after 3 games you would have thought we could have picked up a few wins, were back to looking at the bottom of the table.

There’s obviously issues with Ryan Flynn’s fitness. He hasn’t really played any football since last February and with no reserve or bounce games happening he can’t build up any match sharpness.
I guess we will go with Foley next week.

Just now, monthelie' said:

Would agree with that, we're always brutal in Perth. Worrying thing is, the previous 2 games we've been piss poor as well. In the bottom half only us and killie never picked up points today, so again after 3 games you would have thought we could have picked up a few wins, were back to looking at the bottom of the table.

Erhahon's goal against St Johnstone was the last time we scored a goal against a team playing with eleven men that wasn't also a total gift.

Maybe harsh on May, but maybe MOH was the better option to get in behind.
If not that substitute, then definitely one of them. Massive spaces which we really didn't take advantage of the last 20 minutes. Don't think the attacking substitutes did themselves many favours either

Comfortable win, that probably should have been more comfortable. Get that Wotherspoon needs a rest and there's a semi-final coming up but struggled to link back to front once he went off. Thought McCann showed his real worth to this side last half hour breaking things up. Back 5 all played well and Tanser gives so much more going forward. Kerr strolled it. Rooney has a bit of a cult hero feel about him.

No more Bryson please. Much rather Craig started and we got more out of McCann. Delighted for Kane getting another's goal too. A month ago I wrote with a few others that May was miles ahead of the other strikers. Suddenly though, we have a partnership that looks promising. Kane was excellent today, some great touches - especially the one in the build up to the Melamed chance - and generally looked dangerous throughout. Melamed's got a bit of quality about him and looks like he'll get better with game time. Great to get a goal created and finished by the two front men - not something that's happened too often this season.

Thought the sending off was slightly harsh. First booking was stupidly aggressive and the second is possibly a booking but it's against a back drop of no other fouls by McPherson in a fairly beign game. Thought it was really fussy refereeing performance in general.

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

There’s obviously issues with Ryan Flynn’s fitness. He hasn’t really played any football since last February and with no reserve or bounce games happening he can’t build up any match sharpness.
I guess we will go with Foley next week.

Thing is, with five subs, there's room to get him on the park, at least a bit. Unless he's so dramatically off the pace there's no point.

Agree with Nel's post above. Bryson doesn't have it any more. He used to be a very capable midfielder but he's not get the legs to get up and down the pitch and seems to have lost the ability to cleanly strike a ball. Might be worth recalling Banantyne and using him as there's no point in persisting with a player who weakens us as much as he does.

8 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

A weird thing about St Mirren - Obika is clearly your best striker, and normally does well against us. Dropping him for Brophy (angrily struts around but doesn’t do a great deal beyond some wayward long range shots) and Erwin (pish, clearly) is strange

Jim Goodwin things.

Suspect St Mirren fans will turn him again once their past this glorious stage of being a mere 5pts off the top 6 tbh.

They had every chance of beating us today if he actually sets them up in a simple manner with their best players playing.

Instead hes got Erwin as a left winger, and Brophy on his own up front, despite him being hopeless at that role.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jim Goodwin things.

Suspect St Mirren fans will turn him again once their past this glorious stage of being a mere 5pts off the top 6 tbh.

They had every chance of beating us today if he actually sets them up in a simple manner with their best players playing.

Instead hes got Erwin as a left winger, and Brophy on his own up front, despite him being hopeless at that role.

It's fucking mental, tbf.

20 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I've said it before, I can probably count on one hand, in 25 years of going, the number of times we've had a straightforward win against St. Johnstone.

It's fucking ingrained at St. Mirren that we always perform poorly against your lot. Even in seasons when we are doing well.

And so it continues, lovely stuff. Anyway three points at last, about given up on May these days,just prances about or gets caught off side (not just this game. Kane coming on nicely last few games and happy to see  Kerr back as I thought defensively we were pretty solid today.

A weird thing about St Mirren - Obika is clearly your best striker, and normally does well against us. Dropping him for Brophy (angrily struts around but doesn’t do a great deal beyond some wayward long range shots) and Erwin (pish, clearly) is strange

Obika was out injured last week and still isn’t fully fit.

On 19/12/2020 at 18:44, Lex said:

This is the best Saints team I’ve seen in thirty years.
It doesn’t get much better than this for us buddies. Just got to enjoy it while we can. Just can’t believe this is all happening when we can’t get in the ground to see it up close emoji28.png

Hard one to take today for St Mirren’s ‘best team in thirty years’ 😔

Hard one to take today for St Mirren’s ‘best team in thirty years’ [emoji17]

Low bar tbf. We haven’t finished above 8th in the last 30 years. We are currently... 8th with games in hand on the teams above us.

Happy enough with the first hour but it was a slog after the red card. That should have been an opportunity to move in for the kill but we seemed to retreat into a shell. 

After so many games where we've played well and taken less than deserved, I'll suck up the final third if it results in full points.