Saintees vs Saints 16/1/21

St. Mirren travel to Perth on Saturday to face a St. Johnstone side who are now unbeaten in 3. 

Last game in Perth was probably the easiest 3 points that St. Johnstone will pick up all season, a 1-0 win that saw us muster barely a shot on target. Hopefully we turn in a better performance than that. It can't be much more inept. 

We need to start Brophy for certain. He added a lot of energy in the final third when he had his 25 minutes on Saturday. If Obika is fit again, there may be space for both. Quaner should also be involved at some point. 

St. Johnstone for their part have also found that they actually have a decent centre forward option in the shape of Melamed who has been hovering about all season without getting a chance.

Given the amount of draws both teams have turned in this past few weeks, the smart money here is on 0-0 or 1-1.

We need to win this, it's that simple really.

Kerr has to come in for Rooney, who for all his strengths is an accident waiting to happen as a CB.

Issue is I think we need McCann, Craig, and Davidson in the middle. We will play a back 5, but need to also play Wotherspoon, Kane and Melamed.

A quandary.

I wonder what gift we'll get this time. Against Killie, Rogers walked the ball into his own net. Against Motherwell, Madden deferred to his assistant who saw a ghost penalty. It's clear that the Footballing Gods are favouring us.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We need to win this, it's that simple really.

Kerr has to come in for Rooney, who for all his strengths is an accident waiting to happen as a CB.

Issue is I think we need McCann, Craig, and Davidson in the middle. We will play a back 5, but need to also play Wotherspoon, Kane and Melamed.

A quandary.

McCann beside Craig, with Spoony supporting Kane and Melamed.  Craig has the discipline to sit.  All dependent upon how well he recovers after tonight.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hope you're right, we really could be doing with the points, and with a big cup tie against Hibs the following week it would be good for confidence.

No, no.. he said Saints win, not Saintees win.

Watched the second half of the Saintees game against Dundee United, and thought they were very impressive. Some seriously slick attacking play.

Hope to see Saints getting Brophy in the team from the start and going for it. Win here for either team would be huge.

Saints performance in Perth last time was not just our worst performance this season, but for many a season - hopefully that'll spur us on to putting in a much better performance.

Going for 1-2 or 2-3.

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

"There is no mention of Saintees anywhere on the St Johnstone website or social media feeds."

31 minutes ago, Ric said:

No, no.. he said Saints win, not Saintees win.

36 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Hope you're right, we really could be doing with the points, and with a big cup tie against Hibs the following week it would be good for confidence.

I will clear this up, so there's no confusion! 

There isn't a saint called 'Johnstone'.

As we all know, Saint Mirren (also spelled Mirin) was a real saint - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Mirin 

Therefore St. Johnstone are known as the 'fake saints', or 'fakes'. :)

My prediction: Fakes 1 Saints 2 

6 minutes ago, Ralstonite said:

I will clear this up, so there's no confusion! 

There isn't a saint called 'Johnstone'.

As we all know, Saint Mirren (also spelled Mirin) was a real saint - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Mirin 

Therefore St. Johnstone are known as the 'fake saints', or 'fakes'. :)

Apparently it's something to do with "Saint John's Toun".

Anyway, we know the only legitimate usage of the word "Johnstone" is in describing the Renfrewshire town 4 miles from Paisley.

Edited by Arch Stanton

I wonder if Goodwin will shuffle the pack. It's a tough call to be honest. In terms of the back 5 (inc GK), they are pretty much safe. We don't really have replacements which is lucky as they've all been solid. It's midfield and up front that's the puzzler. For me, on the right Connolly keeps his place, if McAllister plays Connolly could find himself on either wing. No Mason (or Morias, for that matter) will mean Durmus playing. The three in the midfield; Erhahon, JDH and McGrath are all good players but haven't really played that well over the last couple of games. Do we swap one or more of them out and replace them with a MacPherson or even Foley? I think we'd all like to see Flynn getting game time but I just don't know where he is in terms of fitness and he's certainly not match sharp so, for me, it's be a gamble to throw him in to the starting line up. Do we go all ballsy and decide to play a 2 up front, meaning one of the midfield 3 drop out (Erhahon?) and if so which two. Obika and Brophy? If it's one up, you'd guess Brophy would get the nod.

As it is, it's one of those judgement calls for Goodwin. Either the team needs some freshening up, or the last couple of games has just seen a temporary dip in their form and sticking with them will pay off. It's a fine line as it's not that any of them have been bad in any way, just not great.

7 hours ago, Ric said:

I wonder what gift we'll get this time. Against Killie, Rogers walked the ball into his own net. Against Motherwell, Madden deferred to his assistant who saw a ghost penalty. It's clear that the Footballing Gods are favouring us.

Keep trying the 53 yard wonder shots against us.  They usually work.

A place we rarely do well at. For me anyway our worst performance of the season by the team and manager came in Perth. It was 1-0 going on 5-0.

We haven't started games well recently either. County and StJohnstone were on top before getting someone sent off, Rangers scored early against us in the cup, Killie took the lead against us, last week Motherwell pummeled us and went ahead. This league is too tight to be conceding the first goal, the team has character though with the amount of late goals we score but we can't be chasing games every week.

If Erwin starts up front it has to be with Brophy. I can't see Jim starting off with a 4-4-2 so hopefully Obika will be back fit or Brophy starts.

Massive game for both teams, the bottom half of the league is so tight, our first big match of the week is though.

Worryingly it seems StJohnstone have a decent striker on their hands. Guy was getting rave reviews on here last night. Will he start again? Is he fit enough?