Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

35 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Playing till June opens up the possibility of players being out of contract before the end of the season. If enough are OOC, then they could have a gun to the clubs heads re new  or extended contracts, and some could even move to a competitor with 3/4 games to go. Not a great solution.

Personally I see this as a non issue. Apart from most players will just be desperate to play to the end of the season, most who are coming to the end of their contract won't have deals tied up for next season until the close season. This is normal for the players to keep their options open but more so clubs can save on paying wages needlessly between seasons. Also, I don't expect many players at our level being fought over by multiple clubs and wouldn't expect many players to have multiple offers, so would fully expect any player out of contract in May to have a rolling weekly contract to the end of the season.

I'd have thought most players will be as desperate as us fans to complete the season.

Playing till June opens up the possibility of players being out of contract before the end of the season. If enough are OOC, then they could have a gun to the clubs heads re new  or extended contracts, and some could even move to a competitor with 3/4 games to go. Not a great solution.

In these uncertain times, does it really matter if the season finishes with a different squad ?

But, Isn’t it about time that clubs start giving contracts based on seasons as opposed to months.

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

In these uncertain times, does it really matter if the season finishes with a different squad ?

But, Isn’t it about time that clubs start giving contracts based on seasons as opposed to months.

Of course it matters if promotion/relegation is at stake. If we lost Goodwillie for example because he was off elsewhere, and wanted to avoid injury while playing with us he could just not sign an extension,  and that could be a key point in our survival or not ( cue someone saying no one else would have him).

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

Someone else will probably know better than me, but surely footballers are on, essentially, fixed term contracts, so I would have thought those need a specified end date. I wouldn’t have thought you can just put “the end of the 20/21 season” as that would lead to disputes about when exactly the season ended, surely? 

5 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Someone else will probably know better than me, but surely footballers are on, essentially, fixed term contracts, so I would have thought those need a specified end date. I wouldn’t have thought you can just put “the end of the 20/21 season” as that would lead to disputes about when exactly the season ended, surely? 

Football contracts need to be at least until the next transfer window. So anyone signed in the summer needs a contract that ends in January as a minimum, anyone signing in January needs a contract that takes him to the summer. The contract will of course have an end date, it's just that date isn't usually published for fans. 

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Football contracts need to be at least until the next transfer window. So anyone signed in the summer needs a contract that ends in January as a minimum, anyone signing in January needs a contract that takes him to the summer. The contract will of course have an end date, it's just that date isn't usually published for fans. 

From memory it is normally May 31st

6 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Yeah, think that used to be the case but I believe now contracts need to run until the transfer window opens. I think that is the 9th of June, normally. I've read some conflicting info on that though. 

Of course it matters if promotion/relegation is at stake. If we lost Goodwillie for example because he was off elsewhere, and wanted to avoid injury while playing with us he could just not sign an extension,  and that could be a key point in our survival or not ( cue someone saying no one else would have him).

It is really only relatively recently that transfer windows have been in place, so this scenario doesn’t really bother me. But as I said this season and last have been unusual and it is better to finish the season if at all possible without throwing in more obstacles,

The biggest issue with playing until June remains the play-offs. They would be at least six weeks after the Championship finishes.

I would say that as league 1 and 2 didn’t have any say in the pause, they surely shouldn’t be disadvantaged by having to meet the championship deadline. At least the Championship clubs have got time to do something about their finishing position. If they end up in the playoffs, isn’t it possible that they have to put up with it for 1 season.

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

57 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah, think that used to be the case but I believe now contracts need to run until the transfer window opens. I think that is the 9th of June, normally. I've read some conflicting info on that though. 

You're both right. Moonster is completely right. The minimum length of a contract is to the start of the NEXT transfer window. So a player signed in January MUST run to at least 9th June. However a player signed last September can, and probably does, have a contract ending in May as it was only compulsory at that point for them to run beyond January 1st.

If an existing player contract expires in May before the season ends, and under existing rules it is extended, then the minimum length will be to June 9th. If it's already June 9th then the next minimum length is January 1st 2022.

All of which means in practical terms you absolutely would have to have completed the season including all playoffs by June 9th or else players will move clubs and the season ends in farce.

4 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I would say that as league 1 and 2 didn’t have any say in the pause, they surely shouldn’t be disadvantaged by having to meet the championship deadline. At least the Championship clubs have got time to do something about their finishing position. If they end up in the playoffs, isn’t it possible that they have to put up with it for 1 season.

Championship clubs didn't have any say in it either. There's absolutely zero chance Championship clubs are going to agree to contract players for extensions while they wait for League 1 to finish several weeks later. Neither are players likely to be desperate to agree it either. I think realistically if you want a 2nd promotion slot they are going to have to be in a position to confirm who is playing in it by at least mid May.

Championship clubs didn't have any say in it either. There's absolutely zero chance Championship clubs are going to agree to contract players for extensions while they wait for League 1 to finish several weeks later. Neither are players likely to be desperate to agree it either. I think realistically if you want a 2nd promotion slot they are going to have to be in a position to confirm who is playing in it by at least mid May.

Given the contract issues getting it all done by 9th June should be acceptable to all.