Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

If the season does continue and reduced to 18 games I would want promotions and relegations still to happen, otherwise what's the point in continuing at all. If that does happen and we're the shitest team after 18 games then we can have no complaints. My post was based on us (and other clubs) having to play 2, maybe 3 times a week to fulfil their fixtures if the 27 game season remained and the league was suspended further than 14th Feb.

The season could be extended beyond May 1st but then that opens other cans of worms. Will next seasons start end up delayed the same as this one was as a result? If not then players wouldn't get much of a break before returning for pre season then the Betfred Cup groups starting in mid July. 

Edited by C. Muir

23 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Are we meant to feel sorry for the championship side that finish 9th having to wait a couple of weeks for us to finish when we haven’t kicked a ball in the league for 5 weeks as it stands ? 

I’d have thought this was obvious, but all your opponents in the current situation are in the same position as Airdrie, so none of the teams are disadvantaged against their opponents. That would not be the case were you about to play a championship side in the playoff, and they’d been forced to wait 5 weeks. 

There is never going to be an answer that appeases everyone. I would suggest we just make the playoffs 2nd vs 9th this year for a place in the championship but then that’ll be unfair on 3rd and 4th and the fact I don’t think we can just change rules half way through the season which opens up will we even be allowed to move the season to 18 games?

Edited by Rbon

There is never going to be an answer that appeases everyone. I would suggest we just make the playoffs 2nd vs 9th this year for a place in the championship but then that’ll be unfair on 3rd and 4th and the fact I don’t think we can just change rules half way through the season which opens up will we even be allowed to move the season to 18 games?

We changed the rules last season by calling the league early and using PPG to decide placing...

41 minutes ago, Diamond10 said:

Are we meant to feel sorry for the championship side that finish 9th having to wait a couple of weeks for us to finish when we haven’t kicked a ball in the league for 5 weeks as it stands ? 

No, but extending the season by 2 weeks creates big problems for all play offs, not to mention the need for our Premiership to end on time due to the Euros. The fact we haven't kicked a ball through January isn't relative to that at all.

6 hours ago, SLClyde said:

If it goes to an 18 game season, which I don’t think it should, there shouldn’t be any promotion or relegation.

Are we just going to extend suspensions every few weeks until it’s too late. Do us all a favour and chuck it now. 

I realise this would also mean no promotion or relegation (and Hearts for one might not like that) but why not run this season into next?  Keep the points for the games played - most likely 18 - and start from there next season. There's no guarantee it won't be interrupted too after all.

I'd say there are five possible solutions from here:

1) Return with an 18 game season and hold play-offs as normal in early May.

2) Return with a 27 game season and hold play-offs in late May or June with the Championship club waiting several weeks.

3) Return with a 27 game season and carry on playing into May (or even June). Automatic promotion from League 1 as normal, but the Championship play-offs are scrapped. League 1 and League 2 play-offs can continue as normal.

4) Scrap the season completely. Restart next year with everyone in the same divisions.

5) Combine this season and next season. Either restart in March sort of time and make it a 54 game season, or restart in August with a 36 or 45 game season.

I feel like 2) is unlikely to go down well with the Championship, 4) isn't really what any club wants and 5) wouldn't get enough support from the likes of Falkirk or Queen's Park.

That leaves 1) or 3) as the most plausible. It feels like 1) would be more popular given that there would be an extra promotion spot up for grabs and teams wouldn't have to cram games in. Season ticket holders might feel shortchanged but I feel like only a small number would kick off a real fuss.

7 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

So you don’t think playing each other twice is adequate to decide who should go up or who (Clyde) should go down, despite the fact that’s the way the league was structured prior to the formation of the SPL, and is the method that’s currently used across most European leagues? And that’s with the fallback of probable playoff games to protect you if you finish second bottom too?...

Most leagues, if not all, that play each other home and away once don’t have 10 team leagues.

if the league does get called after 18 games and we go down then so be it. It would still mean we’ve had the same amount of games to amass enough points to survive or go down/up the same as the 9 other teams. The way we’ve been playing If we got to play the full card there’s more chance of us finishing 10th than 8th, tbh.

These are extraordinary times so extraordinary measures and contingencies are to be expected. Just because it wouldn’t suit us doesn’t mean they aren’t (probably) for the better.

It honestly would not bother me at all if this season was canned. From a supporter perspective it’s been completely crap. Now delayed till mid February at the earliest. I’d be surprised if the games started then to be honest.  
We’re now in the situation where player match fitness will be an issue. Loan signings are already going back to their clubs (we’ve lost 2 in the last week).  
It’s an unprecedented situation and I think we do need to try to continue from the revised mid February date. However, I do feel that it should be canned if we can’t restart then. 

19 minutes ago, sydney said:

It honestly would not bother me at all if this season was canned. From a supporter perspective it’s been completely crap. Now delayed till mid February at the earliest. I’d be surprised if the games started then to be honest.  
We’re now in the situation where player match fitness will be an issue. Loan signings are already going back to their clubs (we’ve lost 2 in the last week).  
It’s an unprecedented situation and I think we do need to try to continue from the revised mid February date. However, I do feel that it should be canned if we can’t restart then. 

We have had 3 loan signings return and 1 new loan signing - i think Airdrie have also lost as least one and I think others will be in the same boat too

10 minutes ago, third lanark said:

We have had 3 loan signings return and 1 new loan signing - i think Airdrie have also lost as least one and I think others will be in the same boat too

Yeh, everyone is in the same boat which is why I think we need to try to carry on (even though we’ve been crap). If we’re further delayed beyond mid February though I think it’s time to stop.
In terms of my own team, Clyde will have played 8 league games in 4 months and will need to then play 19 games by May, not including any cup games (I’m assuming the Scottish Cup will be cancelled?).  

Part of the reason given for not playing Scottish cup final at Inverness was obligations for sponsors. Not that I think they would ever have played at Inverness but that was one reason given. SC won't be canned. Might be held over til next year but won't be cancelled.

I would imagine 18 games and keep promotion playoffs would garner most votes

No, but extending the season by 2 weeks creates big problems for all play offs, not to mention the need for our Premiership to end on time due to the Euros. The fact we haven't kicked a ball through January isn't relative to that at all.

With the premiership and championship continuing to play, the premiership playoffs should be able to go ahead as planned.

If the gap between the championship finishing and the lower leagues finishing is only 2 or even 3 weeks, that may be an advantage for the championship team. It allows their players to recover from any injuries or knocks and they will be refreshed after what is likely to have been a tense end to the season.

Slightly off-topic, but with so many if not all lower division clubs in some sort of financial distress, the proponents of Old Firm colt clubs competing in the league will see next season as a great opportunity to push thro their plans.

Already the media has been running puff pieces to prepare the ground with the phrase 'no-brainer' featuring regularly. IMO, they can f**k right off, but I have genuine concerns that the clubs may be bought off for peanuts.

I'm going to suggest an 18 game, leagues 1 & 2 season, one up one down, so as it stands Falkirk would replace Arbroath & Queens Park would replace Forfar, scrap play offs for this season, keep Scottish cup.

If we aren't back by middle of March, be as well voiding the season. 

Edited by Life on Marrs?

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Slightly off-topic, but with so many if not all lower division clubs in some sort of financial distress, the proponents of Old Firm colt clubs competing in the league will see next season as a great opportunity to push thro their plans.

Already the media has been running puff pieces to prepare the ground with the phrase 'no-brainer' featuring regularly. IMO, they can f**k right off, but I have genuine concerns that the clubs may be bought off for peanuts.

Agree. The three C's - covid, corruption and colts. The biggest threats to all our teams at 'diddy' level.    

I'm going to suggest an 18 game leagues 1 & 2 seasons, one up one down, so as it stands Falkirk would replace arbroath & queens park would replace forfar, scrap play offs fir this season, keep scottish cup.
If we aren't back by middle of march, be as well voiding the season. 
This seems to be by far the most sensible solution.

I’d imagine if it came to a vote between null and void or promote the club finishing top, Thistle, Airdrie and Cove would support promotion. Surely better for them that a full time club got promoted and probably a part time club came down for a better promotion push next season...

58 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

I’d imagine if it came to a vote between null and void or promote the club finishing top, Thistle, Airdrie and Cove would support promotion. Surely better for them that a full time club got promoted and probably a part time club came down for a better promotion push next season...

You would think so, but maybe the case of the devil you know,  next season whenever it starts and must still be doubtful if any fans will be in stadia at that time.    League 1 clubs will still be struggling financially,  if they voted for the playoffs and Alloa and Arbroath make the drop and cove and Montrose get promoted......  The relegated clubs have a 500k hand out from Scot Gov in their tail and championship prize money and even although part time they must be favourites to go back up with that financial backup...  All hypothetical,   after all that is taken into account, I think the league 1 and 2 clubs will ride the furlough scheme like a seaside donkey for as long as they can and then call null and void....

You can be sure “B” teams are coming and soon.