Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Aye, I thought the same after I posted that, just trying to think of ways we can cut games out but still have a relatively "normal" outcome. I reckon we'll need to cut the Scottish Cup at least, possibly consider playing less league games too if we don't get started until March/later.

Cutting the season to 18 games is surely a fairer way of reducing the fixture list than binning the playoffs. I get that you're still making a change after the season starts, but at least it doesn't change what each position means and hurt the clubs who finish 3rd, 4th & 9th in each division.

It's also pretty apparent that a significant factor in choosing the delayed start and 27 game season was the hope that it would minimise the games played behind closed doors, and taking the chance of getting as many games as possible with fans back in was worth the imbalanced fixture list. Now we know that every game will continue to be BCD and any restart of the lower leagues is going to have a far tighter schedule than first thought, it would seem sensible.and also fair to everyone to reduce to 18 games with everyone playing each other home and away once.

The discussions may have started but maybe the Celtic scenario tipped the balance?

Yeah it may well have done but I think “I serve the clubs” Doncaster could have issued some kind of communication to advise the clubs that talks were underway. I was just responding to the point there was no way it could have been communicated earlier when in defence of it not being a sudden decision based on Celtic he said talks had begun the week before.

It wasn't "equally impractical", was it? These games were able to be played without fuss in October and December of this year without disrupting the 2020/21 season in any way. Why do you think they couldn't hold the 2019/20 play-offs during the 2020/21 season?
Football in the UK (England) for season 2019/20 restarted in the middle of June.

Premier League in Scotland started August.

If there was a real desire the playoffs could have been played in June/July. Perhaps single legs and completed in 10 days.

I don't think it would've been the right decision but it was possible to have the playoffs well before the start of season 20/21.

However, I also don't think the Scottish Cup should have continued into the following season and be able to retain the infamous "Sporting integrity"

13 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Football in the UK (England) for season 2019/20 restarted in the middle of June.

Premier League in Scotland started August.

If there was a real desire the playoffs could have been played in June/July. Perhaps single legs and completed in 10 days.

I don't think it would've been the right decision but it was possible to have the playoffs well before the start of season 20/21.

However, I also don't think the Scottish Cup should have continued into the following season and be able to retain the infamous "Sporting integrity"

England was finishing last season. Scotland was starting a new one after the early closure of the season.

Had the play offs been played by the teams in what were the appropriate positions, they would've had to sign players before doing so. They would therefore have to anticipate which division they might be in and set budgets at short notice that would be entirely inappropriate to the division they would play in.

England was finishing last season. Scotland was starting a new one after the early closure of the season.
Had the play offs been played by the teams in what were the appropriate positions, they would've had to sign players before doing so. They would therefore have to anticipate which division they might be in and set budgets at short notice that would be entirely inappropriate to the division they would play in.
Or extend contracts until after the playoffs.

I repeat, I'm not saying this should have happened but I'm sure it would've been possible if the desire was there from the SPFL board and clubs.

It's done now anyway.

If this season is cut short, I'll await similar decisions based on club self interest and bad governance by the SPFL board.

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I repeat, I'm not saying this should have happened but I'm sure it would've been possible if the desire was there from the SPFL board and clubs.

It's done now anyway.

If this season is cut short, I'll await similar decisions based on club self interest and bad governance by the SPFL board.

http://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18843940.amp/

The SPFL board specifically requested executive power to handle disruption to this season and were told to bolt by the clubs. Scottish football clubs get the governance that they choose, on every single occasion.

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

It's done now anyway.

If the contracts were essentially only for the play offs, the teams involved would be scrambling to find appropriate players for the division they'd be in at very short notice.

I didn't say it wasn't possible but it's very impractical.

That's the nature of self interest, it is changeable according to the prevailing circumstances, that won't change.
I'm not defending SPFL Board action, I'm pointing out the futility of shouting out words like enquiry, arbitration, independent with no context or reference to the rules or structure of the organisation.
I'm having increasing difficulty not posting the "down with this sort of thing" gif from Father Ted.

I’m not calling for Arbitration. I’m calling for decisions on league structure to be taken out of the hands of the clubs....

Who should decide, if not the members? How is that conceivable?

It wasn’t always in the hand of the clubs to decide.
Nowadays it feels like the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
I’d go for the SFA but as that stands for Sorts f**k All that’s not the right answer....

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

Pretty sure it used to be in the hands of the SFL before it became something that was run by the clubs. I’d like to see an independent governing body take decisions that’s best for Scottish Football independent of the clubs..

How was the SFL run?

7 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Well one problem is that clubs shouldn't ne making decisions based on grudges - take for example your own grudge a pretty baseless, hyped up viewpoint.  As I understand the chair in question was representing L1 and 2 clubs on the Board not his own club (and was re-elected by those clubs to that position past the event you reference).  He had one vote out of 9 so how can he oversee or drive the decisioning?  Why did clubs not go for an independent review - well it was mainly being promoted by club's who had their own axe to grind and whose views were driven by their own club situation and most of the other clubs (the large majority) knew there were matters of much greater import to be tackled and focused on rather than examining our own navel.  

You think they don't talk to each other. Vote in limbo? That's pretty naive.

My position is not baseless as documented on previous posts. I'll not repeat them you'll be glad to hear. You have your opinion, I have mine. I won't change mine and I doubt anything I post further in relation to this won't change yours.

Edited by banditjag

3 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

The "desired way" was the board's recommendation - there is nothing wrong with the board or management trying to persuade clubs to support it. However, "pressure" is a different matter. Do you have any evidence of that?

Dave McCormack was on sportsound at the time, said to Richard Gordon and Tom English he received a call from an spfl board member telling him they didn't need aberdeens vote. As I remember, he was quite angry about being,  as he saw it, deceived.

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

It’s not relevant. I’m only interested in what we do now.....

It's relevant because you said the current arrangement should be changed in favour of the earlier set up.

The truth is the clubs as members have always decided the constitution of the divisions. The LMC recently tried to implement executive decision making and were refused by the clubs. If they don't trust their own management, do you seriously expect them to appoint an outside body to make decisions for them?

In what circumstance would any organisation say, "we're shite at this, why don't we appoint and pay someone else to run the show"?

Guest The Phoenix
44 minutes ago, banditjag said:

My position is not baseless as documented on previous posts. I'll not repeat them you'll be glad to hear. You have your opinion, I have mine. I won't change mine and I doubt anything I post further in relation to this won't change yours.

The wisest of people in this world are those that admit when they are wrong. 

47 minutes ago, banditjag said:

I never thought they didn't talk to each other or vote in limbo.  That seems to be something you are conjuring up in your imagination - try not wearing a MJGA hat and you might take a less biased view.