Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

Meanwhile, back in the realm of reality, the Scottish second tier is an established professional division and the third tier is semi-professional, every single year.

I’d say it’s a bit difficult to argue that tinpot Morten are a professional club when the ex manager steps in to pay for the players lunches......

26 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I'm sure a deadly pandemic comes into "force majeure" territory.

Ah. No pandemic in the Championship then?  It's a bit like saying Nandos can open but KFC can't. Both serve badly cooked chicken. 

38 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Is that an official definition ?

Tbf in England they class League Two as the "lowest professional division", with the National League (Conference) classed as a Semi-Pro division as the majority of clubs in it are almost always part time.

We don't know which of the wee Diddy teams have had outbreaks, there's been no testing. 
A line had to be drawn somewhere, having hundreds of untested players travelling the length & breadth of the country, for often not much more than a hobby (I'm including amateur teams in this) during a national lockdown doesn't sit right. It was chosen to draw the line below the top 2 leagues, nothing to do with professional/semi professional arguments. 
No matter where it was drawn, the people affected just under this line would feel hard done-by. 

I guess he would have meant how many players from league 1 and league 2 have tested positive either because they weren’t feeling well or are part of the ONS surveillance study.

Do you genuinely believe that your club would have performed better had it known up front that it would be 18 games rather than 27? If you do then it’s surely the clubs fault that they underperformed?
Incidentally, cancelling the season opens up the clubs to having to repay season tickets at least in part to many supporters. I doubt many clubs will want that scenario.......

The clubs faced that situation last year as well. In Thistle’s case most fans didn’t ask for a refund. However, I appreciate that there may be more that would want a refund this time round.

I'm sure a deadly pandemic comes into "force majeure" territory.

Was that not the argument that insurance companies were putting forward for not paying out on holiday refunds and business interruption cases. It’s maybe not restricted trade, but pretty sure that clubs could claim on their insurance if they have one.

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

From the Sun so big pinch of salt, but would this be possible? Not sure how Champ clubs could vote against relegation just because our league has decided they need to shorten the season to finish in time. 

BA74CA45-FB1F-4125-B0F5-A2258C522EC8.png

So if they oppose promotion from then the Hearts will indeed be marooned in the Championship. We will hear the uproar from here if they get shafted again. 

57 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

So if they oppose promotion from then the Hearts will indeed be marooned in the Championship. We will hear the uproar from here if they get shafted again. 

Don't think you're reading that right?

33 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Promotion from Champ to Prem would still go ahead they're saying. No one would be relegated to League 1, nor would the champions of this division go up.

I'm not sure what the justification would be, I imagine some "sporting integrity" about teams playing the same number of games will be pushed by Mike Mulraney as he tries to snake his Alloa team into next seasons Championship. 

I wonder if the clubs affected may try and propose some kind of reconstruction if this ‘no promotion or relegation from L1 down’ scenario does end up happening.

Expand to 12-12-10-10 with no relegations and two up from L1, L2 and the HL/LL winners.

Edited by Nightmare

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I wonder if the clubs affected may try and propose some kind of reconstruction if this ‘no promotion or relegation from L1 down’ scenario does end up happening.

Expand to 12-12-10-10 with no relegations and two up from L1, L2 and the HL/LL winners.

Doubt championship clubs would agree to that - if they somehow are able to stage a vote on whether relegation is “allowed” (you have to laugh), and then vote for no relegation, there would surely be a 0% chance they’d then vote for reconstruction. 

17 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

Do you genuinely believe that your club would have performed better had it known up front that it would be 18 games rather than 27? If you do then it’s surely the clubs fault that they underperformed?
Incidentally, cancelling the season opens up the clubs to having to repay season tickets at least in part to many supporters. I doubt many clubs will want that scenario.......

How would anyone know how they would have performed, how can clubs be at fault for this, that was not my point. The whole season has been a total farce, players going down with Covid, stop start of games, training sessions cancelled is hardly ideal preparation to still be playing. Who knows if we even do start back we won’t be repeating all this all over again. My ideal solution would be to suspend this season and restart Jul/Aug and continue from where we left off, all matches played so far all count and continue all remaining matches to be played to make it a regular 36 game season. No complaints or lawsuits squabbling over final positions. That is just me, I’m sure there is many holes in that plan but ideally I think it be a better option than cutting the season in half.

10 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Would have thought 12-12-18 might have a better chance of working.