Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

Not a surprising decision. Only ray of light was the confirmation that the next communication would be on or before 10 Feb.

Still think an 18 game season with promotion and relegation would be more fair than just null and voiding (definitely not ideal), but agreed that any more delays and think they should just pack the whole thing in and go again in July/aug for next season (please, please don’t wait til the middle of October again)

Perhaps between Leagues One and Two, but why should Championship clubs agree to sit on their hands for a couple of weeks, to the clear detriment of their side's match fitness, before playing one off ties if they finish 9th?
The onus is on the seaside leagues to finish at the same time as the Championship or else the playoff between the two leagues should be considered null and void.
I did say that I thought it more likely that they'll just go to 18 games.

If we're not returning until March at the earliest then its going to be very difficult to get the season completed. Do you go with 2 games a week from March until May? Nigh on impossible for a largely part time league. Do you try and cut the number of games to the bare minimum? Is there any value in an 18 game season? 

What happens if we get to the end of Feb and the suspension is extended for another few weeks? Extend the season into June? Could you even finish a shortened campaign between April and May?

Heading towards a difficult decision. At some point there needs to be a serious question asked as to whether or not it's viable to do anything other than abandoning the season and starting again in August?

I'm doubtful an 18 game season would get enough votes to pass, though if the alternative is packing it in until August then clubs might go for it. 

Also 18 games where everyone has played home and away once seems a far more equitable method than calling it on PPG where some teams might have been the only team in the league to have played the runaway leaders 4 times and had a game in hand vs a team they'd beaten two times out of two that season 🙄

Just now, BallochSonsFan said:

If we're not returning until March at the earliest then its going to be very difficult to get the season completed. Do you go with 2 games a week from March until May? Nigh on impossible for a largely part time league. Do you try and cut the number of games to the bare minimum? Is there any value in an 18 game season? 

What happens if we get to the end of Feb and the suspension is extended for another few weeks? Extend the season into June? Could you even finish a shortened campaign between April and May?

Heading towards a difficult decision. At some point there needs to be a serious question asked as to whether or not it's viable to do anything other than abandoning the season and starting again in August?

If it even starts on the 14th February then that's 20 games for us between then and May 1st. More if we get through in the cup. If the suspension is extended further beyond Feb 14th there's no way we (and probably a few other clubs) would be able to fulfil our fixtures without extending the season as a result. 

I would just bin it this year and re-start when fans are allowed back. It's pish watching on these pixellot streams anyway. So easy to lose concentration or interest during games and I've even turned a couple off before the end. 

6 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I'm doubtful an 18 game season would get enough votes to pass, though if the alternative is packing it in until August then clubs might go for it. 

Also 18 games where everyone has played home and away once seems a far more equitable method than calling it on PPG where some teams might have been the only team in the league to have played the runaway leaders 4 times and had a game in hand vs a team they'd beaten two times out of two that season 🙄

Your game in hand was accounted for as part of the PPG calculation, dry your fucking eyes.

oG0KX.gif.a8fdc124142d2f27645fb6f1aad0742a.gif

If it goes to an 18 game season, which I don’t think it should, there shouldn’t be any promotion or relegation.
Are we just going to extend suspensions every few weeks until it’s too late. Do us all a favour and chuck it now. 

Yes there should, otherwise what’s the point?…

2 hours ago, C. Muir said:

If it even starts on the 14th February then that's 20 games for us between then and May 1st. More if we get through in the cup. If the suspension is extended further beyond Feb 14th there's no way we (and probably a few other clubs) would be able to fulfil our fixtures without extending the season as a result. 

I would just bin it this year and re-start when fans are allowed back. It's pish watching on these pixellot streams anyway. So easy to lose concentration or interest during games and I've even turned a couple off before the end. 

Don’t blame you having seen Clyde twice this year

31 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Yes there should, otherwise what’s the point?…

I don’t think 18 games is enough to base promotions and relegations on. Even if we do get started are we expecting no more covid outbreaks, especially if we will be testing, unlikely. 

6 hours ago, virginton said:

Perhaps between Leagues One and Two, but why should Championship clubs agree to sit on their hands for a couple of weeks, to the clear detriment of their side's match fitness, before playing one off ties if they finish 9th?

The onus is on the seaside leagues to finish at the same time as the Championship or else the playoff between the two leagues should be considered null and void.

Why should league 1 teams in the playoff positions care if the championship team has to wait a couple of weeks for our league to finish? Airdrie for example sit 4th and haven’t played a league game for 5 weeks and counting do you not think that’s detrimental to our season as it stands now? 

1 minute ago, Diamond10 said:

Why should league 1 teams in the playoff positions care if the championship team has to wait a couple of weeks for our league to finish? Airdrie for example sit 4th and haven’t played a league game for 5 weeks and counting do you not think that’s detrimental to our season as it stands now? 

I'm not sure you've thought that through. 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure you've thought that through. 

Are we meant to feel sorry for the championship side that finish 9th having to wait a couple of weeks for us to finish when we haven’t kicked a ball in the league for 5 weeks as it stands ? 

I don’t think 18 games is enough to base promotions and relegations on. Even if we do get started are we expecting no more covid outbreaks, especially if we will be testing, unlikely. 

So you don’t think playing each other twice is adequate to decide who should go up or who (Clyde) should go down, despite the fact that’s the way the league was structured prior to the formation of the SPL, and is the method that’s currently used across most European leagues? And that’s with the fallback of probable playoff games to protect you if you finish second bottom too?...

4 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

The leagues all need to end at the same time for the sake of the playoffs, and you can't delay the Premiership and Championship to coincide with an extended L1 & L2 season because the European Championships mean the Premiership has to end as scheduled.

Reducing to 18 games is the only solution if it's a 2 March restart. Play every Saturday and midweek from then to the scheduled end of the season and you've got 18 dates.

Taking Clyde as an example, they have 19 league games to play if it stays at 27.  Okay, you could shoehorn an extra game in over a two week period by having them play, for example, Friday - Monday - Thursday - Sunday-Wednesday - Saturday rather than the usual Sat - Tues - Sat - Tues - Sat , but even that's more trouble than it's worth before considering that a) they're still in the Scottish Cup and b) there's a risk of further postponements due to weather and the obvious possibility of any team having a positive test with players isolating, and losing two or three dates as a result.

Great solution but I'd doubt this will be adopted. I am becoming increasingly cynical and despondent that there is no appetite from sfa nor the spfl for L1 and 2 to restart. This is just stringing everyone along to soften the blow when this shower null and void us. What I don't get is why wait until mid February to start training and March to restart the leagues. If the clubs have finances in place for testing then what is the difference between L1 and 2 and premier and championship. 

If the clubs have in place processes to keep the players and staff safe, which they did before the shutdown, and are going to include testing, where is the stumbling block or are the authorities determined to mothballed the two lower leagues. Top priority is staying safe and if that means avoiding the season I wish they would just get on with it. That said why void us and not the top 2 leagues🤔 oh aye, I forgot it's all about the arse cheeks.