Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

14 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I’d be vehemently against means testing of grants.

Government are unduly influencing the competition.

£500k for the Championship seems excessive against £150k and £100k for the two divisions below.
Surely £400k, £200k and £150k would have been a fairer split?

That’s means testing isn’t it? Clubs which choose to have bigger wage bill get more money from government. I think a fair split would be  £250k, £250k, £250k (div 2 clubs could go to Dubai for winter training - 4 star hotels, not 5 star)

elsewhere in your post you suggest it’s important to ensure clubs in same division get same money to be fair. What about the Scottish cup?

The government are actively supporting club from higher division playing lower one in the cup

Edited by true fan

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

To be fair, it is a bit tiresome when fans of any club bemoan the self-interest of others. I'm not aware of a single club who has made a decision or voted for something that makes their club worse off, hence you get stand offs on issues. Every club has one vote and they'll use it as best they can. I do agree that some fans of certain full time clubs had a sense of entitlement during the talks last year, but I don't think that view is in line with the majority.

It's not like part time clubs don't have fair representation either, of the 7 club chairmen on the SPFL board, 3 of them are from part time clubs. Given there are 24 full time clubs and 18 part time clubs in the national divisions, I'd say that's pretty fair representation. 

Given the post was aimed mainly at fans perceptions I feel that context was lost  a bit through VT's usual and expected sarcasm. 

You have made some good points about the clubs themselves  but I still feel that  a bulk of the proposals brought to the table seem to circle round how  they affect TV deals , sponsorship and the implications for the top league.   The voting structure is also not as straightforward as you make out as last season's shambles highlighted perfectly. 

45 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

You have made some good points about the clubs themselves  but I still feel that  a bulk of the proposals brought to the table seem to circle round how  they affect TV deals , sponsorship and the implications for the top league.   The voting structure is also not as straightforward as you make out as last season's shambles highlighted perfectly. 

The TV deal and sponsorship affects all leagues though. Without the TV deal the prize money for League 1 and 2 drops, same goes for sponsors. Keeping the top league going and thus protecting the TV deal matters for every club in the league, not just the top division. If Brechin were to bring a proposal to the table that benefitted every club in the country (as TV deals do) then I'm sure people would vote for it.

All clubs had their chance to sort out the voting structure if they so pleased when the SPL and SFL were being merged. They agreed on what we've currently got. If they want to change the voting structure, they can table a proposal and vote it through. That's how member associations work. What shambles are you referring to? The one that was investigated by an independent review panel who found nothing wrong with it?

2 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

It wasn't part time clubs it was full time and part time clubs - don't recall any real effort by the full time clubs trying to bring about a pyramid or end the closed shop over those decades. 

Full time clubs weren't opposing relegation at the bottom of the system because it was irrelevant to their self-interest either way. It was part time clubs who put the kibosh on it because the likes of East Stirling, Berwick etc. recognised that in a merit-based system they'd be flushed down the pan for rank incompetence. And so it has proved!

Indeed they preferred to cast smaller clubs out and restrict access - hence proposals over the years to reduce the size of the SFL and then the breakaway SPL with its self protecting rules. 

As shown by Scottish football's erm, unstinting expansion to 42 national level clubs. 

Over and above that the Leagues not in the SFL were regional and worst of all the juniors on their own volition wished to more or less sit outside it all thus inhibiting the credibility and standing of the senior game outwith the SFL. 

The Juniors are irrelevant to the fact that there have been completely viable leagues for clubs to drop down to from the national pyramid for years, yet for some strange reason League Two is the only national league that still doesn't have an automatic relegation spot. Part-time clubs are the grandmasters of self-preservation within Scottish football.

19 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I’d be vehemently against means testing of grants. ....... the Government are unduly influencing the competition.

Surely £400k, £200k and £150k would have been a fairer split?

4 hours ago, true fan said:

That’s means testing isn’t it? 

Lol True Fan has a point ,if you are vehemently against mean testing then every club in Scotland should get the same amount surely?

In some cases you'd be supporting the status quo of some clubs overspending or being heavily in debt receiving more than another clubs that's sensibly living within its means.

not that I'm arguing for any of this - just dont see the point in making the case for one way being fairer than the other.

Lol True Fan has a point ,if you are vehemently against mean testing then every club in Scotland should get the same amount surely?
In some cases you'd be supporting the status quo of some clubs overspending or being heavily in debt receiving more than another clubs that's sensibly living within its means.
not that I'm arguing for any of this - just dont see the point in making the case for one way being fairer than the other.

There is a huge difference between the Scottish Government as an independent body, handing out money to clubs competing in the same division equally, and the already shady methods employed by our ‘democratic’ SPFL....

11 hours ago, microdave said:

Seeing on twitter that all twenty L1 and L2 clubs have written to the league asking for resumption and that they'll all test for Covid.

On 20/01/2021 at 00:03, roman_bairn said:

There will probably be clubs in Leagues 1 and 2 who will want to null and void the season if testing is made mandatory.
Irrespective if it’s the right thing to do....

Feeling better about things, roman? 

23 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The TV deal and sponsorship affects all leagues though. Without the TV deal the prize money for League 1 and 2 drops, same goes for sponsors. Keeping the top league going and thus protecting the TV deal matters for every club in the league, not just the top division. If Brechin were to bring a proposal to the table that benefitted every club in the country (as TV deals do) then I'm sure people would vote for it.

All clubs had their chance to sort out the voting structure if they so pleased when the SPL and SFL were being merged. They agreed on what we've currently got. If they want to change the voting structure, they can table a proposal and vote it through. That's how member associations work. What shambles are you referring to? The one that was investigated by an independent review panel who found nothing wrong with it?

The point that it had to go to an independent review panel does suggest that the system has faults ? 

1 hour ago, roman_bairn said:

Can you remind me who the independent review panel were and how they were paid?…

Some clubs could see the mess that Doncaster and his crew keep making but others unfortunately decided to bury their heads in the sand instead and here we are nearly.a year later with another shambles.  Funny how league one and two clubs are all now getting together to make Doncaster get his finger out. If they'd done that 10 months or so ago we may have now had someone slightly competent running the show.

11 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Really? What do you do?

Watch box sets of The Saint, Randall & Hopkirk (Diseased), The Persuaders, The Champions and The Avengers. No hoofball in sight.

Still hope for Hopkirk in that one. He was dead in the one I watched.