Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:
1 hour ago, Specky Ginger said:
Absolutely. 
The only reason the championship is continuing is to appease Hearts. 
If they weren't in it, the league would be suspended. 

Deary me

The one thing that Hearts did by going to court over their deserved relegation is ensure that the SPFL did not want a similar drawn out legal challenge.

So it’s entirely fair to recognise that the only reason that the Scottish Championship will continue is because they are in it. In any season when one of Scotland’s top six clubs are not in it, it would have been suspended on the same terms as Leagues One and Two....

Edited by roman_bairn

The one thing that Hearts did by going to court over their deserved relegation is ensure that the SPFL did not want a similar drawn out legal challenge.
So it’s entirely fair to recognise that the only reason that the Scottish Championship will continue is because they are in it. In any season when one of Scotland’s top six clubs are not in it, it would have been suspended on the same terms as Leagues One and Two....
If the championship was lumped in with leagues 1 & 2 and was suspended for 3 weeks, Hearts wouldn't have a leg to stand on legally. It's just silly to think otherwise.

7 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

The SPFL wiped the floor with Hearts in court. If anything last year ensured that no club will be stupid enough to take matters to court again. Some of the conspiracies you boys are throwing up would feel at home on Info Wars.

18 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

What’s the thinking in allowing Brora Rangers to travel to Denny to play their match vs Camelon tonight ?

Seems crazy on the back of today’s announcement.

If I didn’t know any better I’d think the SFA and Sports Minister are fucking idiots.

Tbf at the time of the announcement they could have already been on their way there.

11 hours ago, David W said:

Would there not be issues for the rest of the league if the top division stopped, due to potential loss of TV revenues? I don't know if the BBC Championship deal would be similar.

BBC are due to show 20 games this season, they've only shown 7. Combined with the 7 they missed out on last season, that's a whole seasons worth (£700k) that the SPFL owes the BBC. Although I doubt the BBC would be *that* intent on a rebate immediately.

Sky have only shown 28 of their 48 live games, as well as 0/6 Playoff games. - which the Championship needs to play out its season to make possible.

Then there's also international broadcasters like ESPN to deal with who are paying a fair bit for rights to Prem and Champ matches, and Premier who are showing the League Cup.

For what its worth to keep the 2nd tier going (PCR Testing), it's much easier than possible financial alternatives of not doing so.

Clearly not everyone is on the same page in football. Peter Grant of Alloa.

“What Celtic did is nothing to do with anybody. It is nobody’s business. People are making an issue of health concerns. If they had been told before they went that they couldn’t go they would have said fine, we can’t go and that would have been it. That wasn’t the case. Listen, the criticism they are getting is not because they have flown to Dubai, it is because they lost to Rangers. If they had beaten Rangers and then flown away then no-one would have been bothering their backsides.

9 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

“What Celtic did is nothing to do with anybody. It is nobody’s business. People are making an issue of health concerns. If they had been told before they went that they couldn’t go they would have said fine, we can’t go and that would have been it. That wasn’t the case. Listen, the criticism they are getting is not because they have flown to Dubai, it is because they lost to Rangers. If they had beaten Rangers and then flown away then no-one would have been bothering their backsides.

Yet more evidence that anyone with any previous history with the arse cheeks is a fud.

Ex Celtic player and coach in blinkered view shocker. w**k.

4 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
22 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

Ex Celtic player and coach in blinkered view shocker. w**k.

Barry Ferguson will be along soon to explain why Celtic going to Dubai denied Kelty promotion.

@Diamonds are Forever actually makes a pretty inarguable point; Football is not an essential business/service, at any level. 

Presumably the fact that this is an SFA decision, not a Governmental one, is the only reason the top two divisions remain open for now. the top flight is not an essential service or business but it is at less risk of exposure than the lower leagues. Ditto the first division. 

I've said already that I think the distinction between almost completely part time and almost completely full time is a reasonable one and on that basis this suspension, in the hopes that the figures drop over the rest of this month, is probably a kick we need to take.  However, I think it's entirely fair to criticise the way in which the announcement was made and the decision making was handled. The teams in the lower leagues were informed mere moments before it was announced, which is pretty appalling. They should have been brought up to speed well in advance of the announcement to the press and public. Statements from the SPFL and SFA should have been released that sympathised with the lower league clubs, staff, players and supporters, that accepted this would be a blow to them and assuring them that everything will be done to ensure those leagues can restart and complete if at all possible. 

There was none, or precious little, of that. 

Not for the first time, it is hard not to feel treated with  contempt by the SPFL and SFA. As an afterthought at best. It would be such an easy thing to do, as well, to put on a record a fulsome support and sympathy for the teams and supports affected. Instead, Ian Maxwell mentioned that we could at least still watch football on Sky. Thanks, Ian, but I've no real interest in forking out money to watch Hamilton V rangers or Dundee united V rangers or Ross County V rangers or St Mirren V celtic. I want to watch Airdrie (yes, I know, clearly a disorder of some kind, but still). 

In the round, this is the right call for now. The handling, as seemingly ever, has been far from competent. Moonhowling idiots will always cry conspiracy and agenda,  but there's no reason to give them such breathing room. 

Edited by AndyDD

22 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

How many lower league players have tested positive?

How many lower league players have had to self-isolate?

Top flight - a load of positive cases and self-isolating players and yet it continues unaffected. Either suspend all football or none. It's ok for Killie to travel to Aberdeen - 2 teams who have had Covid issues this season - but not for Dumbarton to travel to Montrose?

22 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Anybody experiencing symptoms would have booked a test via the NHS. They would have had to report the test results to their clubs and to any non-football employer for test and trace purposes. The idea that lower league players who rely on income from outside of football would fail to book a test if they started displaying symptoms is nonsense. And as close contacts, any positive tests would be reported to clubs for test and trace purposes by the players themselves or via the government test and trace process.

If there are no speed cameras then nobody will ever be caught speeding. Of course anybody exhibiting 'symptoms' of a written off car where they've lost control and hit something might be found out anyway but statistically it won't look like there's much going on. 🙄

31 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Instead, Ian Maxwell mentioned that we could at least still watch football on Sky. Thanks, Ian, but I've no real interest in forking out money to watch Hamilton V rangers or Dundee united V rangers or Ross County V rangers or St Mirren V celtic. I would to watch Airdrie (yes, I know, clearly a disorder of some kind, but still). 

That's a fairly laughable misunderstanding of how football fans work. Encouraging stuff from the Chief Executive of the SFA.

Only logical thing to do at this point is call the season and award raith rovers the title imo 😂

In all serious though I wonder if our league would’ve been treated with as much contempt if it had been the season rangers were in our league. We’ve been disallowed finishing last season then allowed to build squads and set up live streaming equipment to compete in a farce of a season this year. I doubt they’ll have even asked if our clubs would like to continue or not at this point.

I don’t hold out much hope for the return of football at this level in 3/4 weeks. Sadly.

Edited by Diamond10