Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

6 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Couldn't agree more. I have absolutely no place for either side of the OF. I actually dislike them both and cannot stand the constant cries of being chard done by" which is spouted from both on a regular basis.

You clearly lean to the "green side".

Stenny chairman nails it -

“It feels like the Scottish FA has come under pressure from the Scottish Government to take action following the much maligned trip by Celtic to Dubai, and their response has been to offer up lower league clubs as martyrs instead. I find that approach particularly disappointing.

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/lower-league-clubs-offered-martyrs-wake-celtics-dubai-trip-says-stenny-chairman-3092202

1 hour ago, YoungersPaleAle said:

Just remember, these tests are only telling you that you have not got the virus at the time it was taken, just like an MOT on a car.  Out of interest, what do the FT players do with their time after their couple of hours training each day?

Sit in the fucking house like the rest of us!

Shit news but it’s probably the correct call with the rise in cases. Premiership and Championship should be suspended too not just the P/T leagues, all or none. I’d suggest the SFA and SPFL are only keeping those leagues running to avoid the backlash of Rangers and Hearts which is wrong. Long time to go before we need to worry about Null and Void vs other options so hopefully it doesn’t come to that again.

19 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Shit news but it’s probably the correct call with the rise in cases. Premiership and Championship should be suspended too not just the P/T leagues, all or none. I’d suggest the SFA and SPFL are only keeping those leagues running to avoid the backlash of Rangers and Hearts which is wrong. Long time to go before we need to worry about Null and Void vs other options so hopefully it doesn’t come to that again.

Probably keeping them running because of the financial consequences  with the Sky Sports deal if they stopped

Its disturbing the amount of people who don't understand this to be the correct decision. The only thing that should be getting called out is that they've possibly not went far enough and the championship should (and quite possibly, will) be called off.

To stop League 1 and 2 but allow the top 2 leagues to continue makes absolutely no sense. The whole question boils to the fundamental question of what is 'essential' business, as that is what every other industry is having to work by.

As much as I love football, if the government are saying that we are in a lockdown and that only essential services should be running there is no argument that can be made that football is an essential business in terms of the running of the country at this point. People making comments about testing capacity in the higher leagues are completely missing the point. I'm sure thousands of people who have had their businesses shut down can afford to test themselves every day and stay in their own bubble, but they aren't allowed to and have had their livelihoods ripped away from them. Why should football be able to but they can't?

I'm fed up of the First Minister standing up there saying she is giving footballers 'privileges'. Like she is rewarding us all for being well behaved. I love football but I want to be able to see my family and friends and for people to get their lives back in order, and if we are told a lockdown is necessary to do that then we do it properly, no pointless exceptions and no privileges. They either make the case (whatever that may be) that football is necessary for the country at this point, or it should all be stopped.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

9 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Its disturbing the amount of people who don't understand this to be the correct decision. The only thing that should be getting called out is that they've possibly not went far enough and the championship should (and quite possibly, will) be called off.

I'd still say the majority are of this opinion to be honest. Most seem to be confused as to why the Championship and also Premiership are being allowed to continue. Let's be honest, things are going that way so let's just get it all sorted as quickly as possible. 

I'd still say the majority are of this opinion to be honest. Most seem to be confused as to why the Championship and also Premiership are being allowed to continue. Let's be honest, things are going that way so let's just get it all sorted as quickly as possible. 

No one is genuinely confused.
Rangers/Celtic
Hearts
f**k everyone else....

The argument for the Premiership continuing is, in theory, due to the testing and bubble system in place they can continue to run safely.

Outwith the premiership, not all teams in the other leagues are in a position to run such a bubble system due to the part time nature of some of the teams. Indeed, I do chuckle when football below the premiership has been afforded "elite sport" status.

I've spoken to a couple of players who I know through work who play at lowland league level and they haven't understood for the last week why they've been allowed to continue playing.

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

For me it seems to be a relatively simple case of the government's "only leave if it's essential for work" policy, hence why the full-time leagues are seen as tenable. 

Players in the seaside leagues on the other hand largely treat this as a hobby and get little other than a nice-to-have, but crucially non-essential top-up wage.  There may indeed be some who rely on that top-up wage on top of their normal wage for whatever reason, but I would imagine that these folk will be in the great minority.  On the other hand, the vast majority of players in the Championship will see this as essential for their main line of work.

Obviously Falkirk and perhaps QP are the anomalies, but you can't seriously expect the officials to keep both Leagues 1 & 2 going simply to appease two diddy clubs who chose to be full-time teams in part-time leagues.   What they've done is the simplest solution to the problem.

I think especially at league 1 level the amount of players where PT wages make up a significant proportion of income will be surprising high.    Especially in the youngest and older lot of players.  How many experienced guys are dropping down from FT level with nothing behind them but a bit of savings?  Guys relaying on a decent PT wage to see them through whilst they figure out where their going to earn for the next 30 years.  How many young players released from FT clubs think they’re still a big talent who just needs to ride out the next year or two and get themselves back to where they should be.   I know it’s anecdotal but the few I know of a viewed it as easy money,  guys that left school at 16 for *full time deals* (modern apprenticeship that didn’t actually result in significant wages). They get released at 19/20 and suddenly get offered more money for half the work.  More than enough to pay digs, lease a semi-decent car and chat up naive girls in nightclubs that ‘am a footballer, played for hibs’.    It can take a fair while for it to click for some that they need to actually live off their own efforts.

For those a bit more screwed together, take denholm as an example he would have been 25/26 before his footballing wage wouldn’t have been significant to him. 

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

The argument for the Premiership continuing is, in theory, due to the testing and bubble system in place they can continue to run safely.

Outwith the premiership, not all teams in the other leagues are in a position to run such a bubble system due to the part time nature of some of the teams. Indeed, I do chuckle when football below the premiership has been afforded "elite sport" status.

I've spoken to a couple of players who I know through work who play at lowland league level and they haven't understood for the last week why they've been allowed to continue playing.

Championship is starting testing now as a condition to keep playing. And whilst there is a few PT players who probably have more interactions than normal I don’t think there is an example in the uk where a proper bubble is operated.   The NBA who locked all players inside a theme park seems the only success.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If they end up back in March or sooner I think they can finish the season as normal. If it's any later then they'll have to do something.

The first step would be to try for 2x playing.  I don’t think it’s unreasonable to finish leagues at that and have promotion and relegation with play offs. Anything short should be null and void.

Edited by parsforlife