Scottish lower league football locked down for 3 weeks

Started to fear this season being over, as soon as this new variant appeared, look at how it's affected the English clubs?

The talk at the weekend of it not making sense to ask teams of untested players travel the length & breadth of the country had me thinking we were heading towards the season again being called/void whatever.

If this 3 week lockdown means we can avoid the above scenario, then fingers crossed it works.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:
1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:
You can already see the OF uproar if Rangers weren't to be awarded the title and thus, Celtic had a "second go" at 10 in a row emoji849.png

Actually that could be a perfect outcome for OF haters. Celtic were well ahead last season whilst Rangers are streets ahead this term. Were this season to be aborted fans of the bigot sisters would blow their brain cells for eternity agonising over the what-ifs, in the knowledge that the other mob will never accept their version of events. Make it happen.

They're going to have the '55th title' / same club debate anyway even if the league carries on to completion, so let the great hilarity commence, preferably whilst it's still mathematically possible for Celtic to win it.

1 hour ago, STUL said:

Make no mistake, this decision is purely because the SFA/SPFL had to do something. They obviously can’t do anything that hurts the greedy, so a pointless gesture was required. If you watch the Peter Cook and Dudley Moore sketch where Pete tells Duds to fly over to Germany and not come back because they needed a futile gesture at that time, will get the point.

"Goodbye Sir or is it au revoir?"

"No, Perkins"

37 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Players and staff shouldnt need to put their health, or the health of their families, at risk just for our entertainment. As much as we might all claim otherwise, football isnt essential.

The difference between the two leagues that are able to continue is the requirement for testing, something which most teams in League One and below cant afford to do. Premiership and Championship teams will therefore be able to isolate accordingly to limit the spread, the rest of the teams cant. Most players in those leagues are part time as well, so unless they are furloughed or able to work from home in their other jobs, part time players are at increased risk of spreading outside their football bubble.

It is utter shite its been stopped, of course it is. But there are things in life far more important than a game on a Saturday. If this decision helps even a little in controlling the spread of covid and prevents a player, staff member or any of their family members getting ill, then it is the right decision that should probably have been taken last week with the rest of the country.

Think your forgetting about Arbroath and Alloa every player involved with these clubs will have a day job, so there is a great chance they could be super spreaders outside their football bubble. Yes I take they will get tested but I think it’s 6 and two 3s in terms of public risk.

13 minutes ago, STUL said:

Presumably there won’t be any talk from the Jambos about league reconstruction this time?

In the interests of fairness, they should be forced to take legal action against the authorities, as they won't feel its right to be promoted when a season is cut short due to a pandemic.

5 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

Think your forgetting about Arbroath and Alloa every player involved with these clubs will have a day job, so there is a great chance they could be super spreaders outside their football bubble. Yes I take they will get tested but I think it’s 6 and two 3s in terms of public risk.

You think two part-time clubs continuing to play with testing constitutes the same risk as hundreds of part-time clubs continuing to play with no testing?

Edited by craigkillie

10 minutes ago, fifer67 said:

I'm not forgetting about Arbroath and Alloa, no. Those two clubs are exceptions to this due to the leagues they find themselves in. But you cant say two clubs carrying on is the same as a100 or so clubs (how every many are in the pyramid system now) doing so.

FWIW, if it were up to me I'd suspend football across the board, including Premiership and Championship. But there are differences between those two leagues and all the others.

36 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Implications for the Scottish Cup if the lower League clubs can't play.

They've suspended the Cup games until at least end of January, I'm sure I read earlier. 

The suspension kicks in midnight tonight, which means there is a cup game being played tonight. The games set for tomorrow are off, though. 

As for the progress of the competition itself? I suppose they will wait and see if they can get us back on after the initial three weeks or not. 

Edited by AndyDD

33 minutes ago, Roger Thornhill said:

Implications for the Scottish Cup if the lower League clubs can't play.

Bit strange coming from a supporter of  the only League 1 team no longer in the Cup ;).

Sorry, couldn't resist. Anything to raise a smile - as the whole situation has pissed me off, as I'm sure it has you too. And before you say it, I know I'm in no position to  try to take the piss out of supporters of a team who have scored against us for fun this season.

In fact, what percentage of your goals scored this season have been against Clyde :(.

1 hour ago, Jacky1990 said:

The difference between the two leagues that are able to continue is the requirement for testing, something which most teams in League One and below cant afford to do. Premiership and Championship teams will therefore be able to isolate accordingly to limit the spread, the rest of the teams cant. Most players in those leagues are part time as well, so unless they are furloughed or able to work from home in their other jobs, part time players are at increased risk of spreading outside their football bubble.

Championship clubs are only likely able to afford testing (circa £2K per week apparently) thanks to the £500K hand-out they've been given. If League 1 & 2 clubs were given the same they could test no problem. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I don't see how the season can be extended into the summer unless the play-offs are scrapped. The Premiership has to be done by the end of May to comply with UEFA regulations. That means the Premiership play-off likely has to be in May too, which means the Championship has to be done by May. Obviously this is fine as it stands because both leagues are still playing.

However, if League 1 carries on into the summer, then you can't expect the 9th placed Championship club to wait around for a month or more, possibly extending their players' contracts and so on.

Why not?  But it is okay for League  1, 2 and below to have to wait 3 weeks minimum just now before they play again and has been suggested to play 2 games a week for the rest of the season.  Your comment is pure arrogance.

1 minute ago, YoungersPaleAle said:

Why not?  But it is okay for League  1, 2 and below to have to wait 3 weeks minimum just now before they play again and has been suggested to play 2 games a week for the rest of the season.  Your comment is pure arrogance.

I'm not sure on what basis any of that can be described as "pure arrogance".

Amongst other things, the big differences would be that clubs can currently furlough their players while they're not playing, every club is in the same boat in terms of match sharpness, and it doesn't involve any form of contact extensions or anything like that.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

You think two part-time clubs continuing to play with testing constitutes the same risk as hundreds of part-time clubs continuing to play with no testing?

Just remember, these tests are only telling you that you have not got the virus at the time it was taken, just like an MOT on a car.  Out of interest, what do the FT players do with their time after their couple of hours training each day?

4 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

You can already see the OF uproar if Rangers weren't to be awarded the title and thus, Celtic had a "second go" at 10 in a row 🙄

Zero fucks given about the OF seethe. This is 100% the right call and should be extended to all football in Scotland at the moment.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not sure on what basis any of that can be described as "pure arrogance".

Amongst other things, the big differences would be that clubs can currently furlough their players while they're not playing, every club is in the same boat in terms of match sharpness, and it doesn't involve any form of contact extensions or anything like that.

Inconvenience for FT teams not acceptable, but is for PT teams.

I suspect the lower leagues and cups will be deemed null and void. Doubt very much we'll be seeing (hearing about) any further football this season at our level.

The SPL will be allowed to continue in order for Rangers to gather more points and wrap things up,  but may be called earlier. That way, in a similar situation to last season their noisy neighbours cant have too many complaints.

The Championship will be allowed to continue in line with SPL  to make it look fair and equal. Hearts of course, will go back up unless they f**k it up.

5 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

You can already see the OF uproar if Rangers weren't to be awarded the title and thus, Celtic had a "second go" at 10 in a row 🙄

This is Scottish football.  So long as Sevco don't "Hibs it" they will most definitely be awarded the title if the league is called early.

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Zero fucks given about the OF seethe. This is 100% the right call and should be extended to all football in Scotland at the moment.

Couldn't agree more. I have absolutely no place for either side of the OF. I actually dislike them both and cannot stand the constant cries of being hard done by" which is spouted from both on a regular basis.

Edited by squeezeboxson