St Johnstone v Hibernian, LC Semi-Final. Saturday 23rd January 2021

PauloPerth

What has Conway done to deserve a start over Melamed who has been our most productive player the last two games?

I think this is it for me. Bad man management to talk a good game about players having to earn their spot in the team and then putting Conway in there who’s done very little to earn the minutes he’s played this year.

For this to work Kane has to be getting right into the middle as often as possible and not running around down the lines or whatever. Conway has to repay the manager’s faith tonight - absolutely has to.

I guess the reasoning behind it is that there’s a world of difference between this Hibs team (whose front three is as good as you’re likely to see outside the old firm) and Dundee United and St Mirren in the last two games who were barely a threat for long, long periods. I can see an argument for needing people in the team that will more likely be at 100% graft and defensive work the whole time. Melamed has been excellent the last two games but equally he’s not been required to focus on anything bar attacking. That’s unlikely to be the case tonight.

But equally, on the other side of it, we’ve looked far more of a threat going forward the last two games and if we don’t score, we can’t win (without a penalty shoot out). Big, big call.

5 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Oh Callum what the f**k are you doing?

How can someone who has played the game and at a pretty high level at that, get the basics so wrong?

This is it in a nutshell.

At last we have found a team that gets the best out of our strikers, and looked a real threat in attack. 3 goals from the 2 of them in the 2 recent matches, and a first win in 11 matches.

So we change it.

Any manager who chooses not to do the obvious thing simply to show he is more clever that everyone else is a worry.

We have a lot of attacking threat on the bench, hopefully we’re not completely out of it by the time we turn to them.

Still, come on ye Saints

1 minute ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Utterly deflated when I heard the team yesterday. This goes wrong tonight and we go out with a whimper, will put Callum in a tricky situation with the fans.

This is what I said to someone. He’s going to find that he’s lost all sympathy and support of the fans by heading back to this disaster formation. The issue is, without fans in the ground he’ll continue totally detached and unaware of the disgruntled fan base, nor will be know how much pressure he’s actually under. Then again it works both ways, without the fans, the board won’t know the dissatisfaction from the support. It’s a really tricky one right now, I hope it works I really do, but I doubt it’s going to. Melamed of all people didn’t deserve to be dropped, let alone for Conway. 

Just now, Jamie_Beatson said:

I guess the reasoning behind it is that there’s a world of difference between this Hibs team (whose front three is as good as you’re likely to see outside the old firm) and Dundee United and St Mirren in the last two games who were barely a threat for long, long periods. I can see an argument for needing people in the team that will more likely be at 100% graft and defensive work the whole time. Melamed has been excellent the last two games but equally he’s not been required to focus on anything bar attacking. That’s unlikely to be the case tonight.

It would be a good argument if the 5-2-3 set up didn't leave us absolutely wide open in the centre of the park.

Ross County ripped this midfield to bits when we played this up there a few weeks ago.

What's the problem with St Johnstone's team then?
Melamed on the bench is the only thing that sticks out to me.
Still think you'll win. 524046817_JackCross.png.a99000bffba9800cf9239ec16f0e929c.png

It’s the same formation which has rendered us absolutely toothless for the entire season. We’d finally seen a positive change in the last couple of week after switching to a front two. Now Callum has decided to revert to the unsuccessful 5-2-3 again. Very bold.

5 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

Utterly deflated when I heard the team yesterday. This goes wrong tonight and we go out with a whimper, will put Callum in a tricky situation with the fans.

He's already defensive in his pre-match interview. 

I'd be happy enough with that team and formation if it was the 70th minute and we had a 2 goal lead. Not starting a cup semi final. 

Fingers crossed we've not shat the bed before a ball is kicked. 

6 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

What's the problem with St Johnstone's team then?

Melamed on the bench is the only thing that sticks out to me.

Still think you'll win. 524046817_JackCross.png.a99000bffba9800cf9239ec16f0e929c.png

Formation leaves us wide open defensively, bad because our keeper is shit.

It also simultaneously means we have nobody in the box, but can only build attacks down the wings. 

If Wotherspoon doesn't have the game of his life then we're unlikely to create a decent chance at all.

It's just crazy.

Fortune favours the brave at this stage. I think of the negative teams McInnes picked in 2010 and a year later. Even in 2016, I think TW started with O'Halloran up front and sacrificed a second natural striker. 

So want to be proved wrong.