St Johnstone v Hibernian, LC Semi-Final. Saturday 23rd January 2021

PauloPerth

LC semi-final, Hampden Park. Saturday 23rd January 2021. 5:30pm kick off.

With Hibs losing 3 on the bounce, and Saints winless in 8 since knocking out Motherwell in the second round of this competition at the end of November, this is shaping up to become a classic.

Roll on a thread full of "we're playing shiter than you".

With Saints on a run of 4 games unbeaten, and Hibs unbeaten in two, this is shaping up to be a cracker between two form teams.

Match is live on Premier Sports 1 if anyone in the country has that channel...

Edited by PauloPerth

Does anyone have the online subscription to premier sports? I see it's £9.99 a month which seems awright considering I'm paying more than that to watch one-off games away from home at present. But was wondering if you need to sign up for 6/12 months or if you can just run it monthly and cancel anytime?

I seem to recall they always had free trials on the go but can't see anything like that available at present.

1 hour ago, Super_J said:

Does anyone have the online subscription to premier sports? I see it's £9.99 a month which seems awright considering I'm paying more than that to watch one-off games away from home at present. But was wondering if you need to sign up for 6/12 months or if you can just run it monthly and cancel anytime?

I seem to recall they always had free trials on the go but can't see anything like that available at present.

You sign up to a rolling contract, think it is cheaper per month if you sign up for 6 or 12 months, but when you go to cancel the rolling one 99% of the time they offer it for half price for 3 months.

15 hours ago, realmadrid said:

So Hibs now have a cover guarantee for the semi final following tonights game and their club statement. 

https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/club-statement-1

Do Saints? Did we agree to this? 

Did Hibs request this after playing St Mirren and Hamilton when they had their covid issues?

Genuinely seething at the prospect of this getting called off so Celtic can go on holiday. If it does, it may well be the last straw for me, as the SPFL have continually shown they don't give a flying f**k about anyone outwith the old firm. Saints are obviously never going to win the league, but what's the point in even entering, if the SPFL are just going to pander to 2 clubs?

4 hours ago, Super_J said:

I think it’s £12.99 if you take the rolling monthly contract and £9.99 a month if you sign up for 6 months

25 minutes ago, Bose said:

I think it’s £12.99 if you take the rolling monthly contract and £9.99 a month if you sign up for 6 months

Bar the Scottish coverage which is just a commercial decision the depth of coverage on the other leagues they have is good. I know one person who took it on a prom and ended up ditching BT Sport. I guess it all depends what games you are interested  in.

1 hour ago, realmadrid said:

Bar the Scottish coverage which is just a commercial decision the depth of coverage on the other leagues they have is good. I know one person who took it on a prom and ended up ditching BT Sport. I guess it all depends what games you are interested  in.

It’s good for Spanish and Italian football. I don’t think they have ever denied taking Scottish was only ever about two clubs 

Bit of confidence restored over the past week and a lot of selection questions probably cleared up. 

Now 4 undefeated and only 4 defeats in 20 games. 

I know some will prefer Liam Craig but Murray Davidson gets the nod for me. 

Clark

Kerr - Gordon - McCart

Rooney - Davidson - McCann - Tanser

Wotherspoon 

Kane - Melamed 

Subs: Parish, Brown, Booth, Craig, Bryson, Conway, O'Halloran, May, Hendry. 

18 minutes ago, Radford said:

Bit of confidence restored over the past week and a lot of selection questions probably cleared up. 

Now 4 undefeated and only 4 defeats in 20 games. 

I know some will prefer Liam Craig but Murray Davidson gets the nod for me. 

Clark

Kerr - Gordon - McCart

Rooney - Davidson - McCann - Tanser

Wotherspoon 

Kane - Melamed 

Subs: Parish, Brown, Booth, Craig, Bryson, Conway, O'Halloran, May, Hendry. 

If we start with anything other than that - or Craig in for Davidson - we’re doing it wrong.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Gutted it looks like I'll have to buy Premier Sports for this.

If you sign up for the £12.99 per month option and use the promo code NHL2021 you get your first month free and then just cancel it after.

Starving Premier Sports of £13

Hibs                       🤝               St Johnstone 

If you sign up for the £12.99 per month option and use the promo code NHL2021 you get your first month free and then just cancel it after.
Hibs                       [emoji1666]               St Johnstone 
Yoink. I've bumped this for our thread [emoji8]

On 17/01/2021 at 15:30, Les Cabbage said:

Hibs                       🤝               St Johnstone 

Ahh wish I'd seen this yesterday, says it's invalid or expired now 

So aye, Saturday, I’m honestly not sure how I feel about it at all, St Johnstone are a funny team and no matter how well we may be doing or how badly they may be doing they always seem to get points off us, especially at Easter Road.

Latterly we’ve picked up a couple of wins at McDiarmaid Park but prior to the game in February 2019 where Marc McNulty scored twice for us to come back and win we hadn’t won their since 2013, a game where Paul Heffernan and James Collins got on the scoresheet, good times.

In semi finals however things have been a bit rosier for us, in 2007 and 2016 we defeated them twice as you’ll all probably remember 2-1 in 2016, a John McGinn raker and a David Murphy free kick in 2007 being the highlights.

Another interesting stat, no Hibs player has scored in a game against St Johnstone on more than one occasion since Leigh Griffiths in 2013, this doesn’t include players that have scored twice in one game. Paul McGinn, Stevie Mallan, Christian Doidge, Scott Allan, Flo Kamberi, Adam Jackson, Marc McNulty, Oli Shaw, Efe Ambrose, Anthony Stokes, Paul Paton (og), John McGinn, Jason Cummings, James Collins and Paul Heffernan all finding the net for Hibs against St Johnstone since Leigh Griffiths scored a consolation goal in a 3-1 defeat at Easter Road where St Johnstone completely battered us to bag in the 2nd game he’s scored for us that he’s scored against the Saints.

On the other hand, Chris Kane has scored against us in 2 separate matches for St Johnstone, Michael O’Halloran in 3 separate matches, Joe Shaughnessy in 2 and Steven MacLean in 2 within that time period.

In terms of personnel for Hibs, it sounds like Newell will be fit to play which is a huge boost, we tend to look lost in midfield without him, I suspect he’ll come in for Hallberg but otherwise we’ll see the same team  as on Saturday unless Marciano is fit which means Doidge on the bench but that gives us a good option if St Johnstone “St Johnstone us” and we need to chase a goal.

Marciano

McGinn Hanlon Porteous Doig

Newell Gogic Irvine

Boyle         Nisbet         Murphy 

Difficult to make a prediction, I suspect it’ll go to extra time with both teams scoring.

Hibs have made what looks on paper to be some very good signings this window.  The hope for us is that this game has come too early, and Ross tries to play a line up which the players are not accustomed to and struggle for any rhythm.  The one above is certainly an impressive looking line up though.

I often fancy us to do okay against Hibs; they come out and attack which suits us more, and the weakest part of their team has generally been their defence for a few years now.  Don't get me wrong, they're capable of giving us a hiding if it clicks and we're not switched on.  Boyle is a handful and usually does well against us.

This should be a game of many chances.   I think one of the biggest deciding factors will be whether Saints can take our chances, which is what we've struggled massively with. We really need to be more clinical in this match than we've been throughout the season so far.

I think it should be a decent watch for any neutrals, with a few goals, and for some reason I fancy us here.  3-1 Saints.