Majestic South v Leith's Pretenders

Otis Blue

So, will Palmerston's crap plastic pitch be a leveller?  How many players will QOS lose during the transfer window - and will we be able to sign anyone decent?  Can our leaky defence cope with Nisbet?  Or will the Hibees lose Nisbet during the window?  Loads of questions - fill yer boots!

5 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

So, will Palmerston's crap plastic pitch be a leveller?  How many players will QOS lose during the transfer window - and will we be able to sign anyone decent?  Can our leaky defence cope with Nisbet?  Or will the Hibees lose Nisbet during the window?  Loads of questions - fill yer boots!

1. The "crap"  plastic pitch at Palmerston seems to hinder our own players more than the opposition. 

2. Probably none unless loanees move elsewhere. Pybus being linked to Ross County though I believe. 

3. On our budget probably no-one top of the range,   but maybe we can get some good loan deals ( I'm not sure of the quota allowed tbh) 

4. I'm not sure Nisbet has that great a scoring  record against Queens but he's playing at a higher level with better service. There will also be more than him in the Hibs team who can take advantage of our defence,  which to be fair has tightened up of late. 

5. Even in the unlikely event of Nisbet moving on Hibs will have a few alternatives who can  cause us problems. 

It goes without saying that it will be a very big ask for us to progress through this round but,  as is the case with most giant killings,  we need Hibs to underperform and Queens to play out of their skins. A "homer" team of match officials would not go amiss either. 

21 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

1. The "crap"  plastic pitch at Palmerston seems to hinder our own players more than the opposition. Very true, but you'd think at least our lot are used to it whereas those silky "galacticos" of the Hibbies won't be.

2. Probably none unless loanees move elsewhere. Pybus being linked to Ross County though I believe. Aye, heard that rumour about Pybus.  Was thinking more about Shields though -  keeping him for the rest of the season is going to be a real challenge.  Typical isn't it - any faint hope for the season that we get by the turn of the year collapses in a heap thanks to the January windows, or at least it has for the past couple of seasons.

3. On our budget probably no-one top of the range,   but maybe we can get some good loan deals ( I'm not sure of the quota allowed tbh) . Fully agree with you, it will be loans for sure.

4. I'm not sure Nisbet has that great a scoring  record against Queens but he's playing at a higher level with better service. There will also be more than him in the Hibs team who can take advantage of our defence,  which to be fair has tightened up of late. Yep, can't disagree with you there.  Nisbet didn't cause us much bother in the play-offs with Raith but that was a different defence we had then and as you say he will get more and better assists now.

5. Even in the unlikely event of Nisbet moving on Hibs will have a few alternatives who can  cause us problems. Always the way when playing the bigger sides - bit of a bummer that isn't it?

It goes without saying that it will be a very big ask for us to progress through this round but,  as is the case with most giant killings,  we need Hibs to underperform and Queens to play out of their skins. A "homer" team of match officials would not go amiss either. Good call re the officials - we can but hope, or at least if they don't have D&G addresses perhaps a Gorgie address would do nicely too?

My thoughts in blue (what else) above ^^^^^^^

• 2 months later...

Absolutely delighted that I’ll be saving £12.50 on buying the game, perks of being one of the most box office clubs in the country I suppose.

I was actually shitting myself about this one after Queen of The South went on a run bodying everyone but I know they’ve lost their last two, still won’t be an easy game though, would settle for a 1-0 snoozefest right now.

6 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Absolutely delighted that I’ll be saving £12.50 on buying the game, perks of being one of the most box office clubs in the country I suppose.

I was actually shitting myself about this one after Queen of The South went on a run bodying everyone but I know they’ve lost their last two, still won’t be an easy game though, would settle for a 1-0 snoozefest right now.

You'd only be saving £10.

Second consecutive round we've been shown live on the BBC. We know who's really #boxoffice here.

Really difficult tie for Queens  Hibs are a level above anything we have played this season .

Hibs will be huge favs to win the tie  could we do the Edinburgh double  think that is asking a lot Hibs on a different level to Hearts just now 

5 hours ago, Northfield 53 said:

Really difficult tie for Queens  Hibs are a level above anything we have played this season .

Hibs will be huge favs to win the tie  could we do the Edinburgh double  think that is asking a lot Hibs on a different level to Hearts just now 

You know what isn't asking a lot? Some punctuation.

Hibs and QoS have played eachother 16 times  competitively since the turn of the millennium plus two friendlies, 10 Hibs wins, 3 draws and 5 Queen of the South wins.

An interesting stat is that both teams have only scored 3 times out of the 18 so a win to nil is a statistically strong bet.

In terms of the draws, all 3 we’ve had against eachother have been 0-0 albeit one was a friendly.

The last time we played in the Scottish Cup was a 2-1 Hibs win, a game that IIRC was pretty ropey, John O’Neill (not that one) gave QoS the lead before David Murphy scored a free kick and Thomas Sowumni gave us a winner, his only goal he scored for us, my main memory of him was him going one vs one in an edinburgh derby we lost in late on and missing.

We have however twice met in the league cup in recent times and lost both games; 3-1 in 2016 (a Lyndon Dykes & Stephen Dobbie masterclass) and 2-0 in 2012 - Nicky Clark and Gavin Reilly scoring, albeit up against what was pretty much our reserves Pa Kujabi and Shefki Kuqi both played from the start and they are definitely two of the worst players ever to play for us.

5 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Hibs and QoS have played eachother 16 times  competitively since the turn of the millennium plus two friendlies, 10 Hibs wins, 3 draws and 5 Queen of the South wins.

An interesting stat is that both teams have only scored 3 times out of the 18 so a win to nil is a statistically strong bet.

In terms of the draws, all 3 we’ve had against eachother have been 0-0 albeit one was a friendly.

The last time we played in the Scottish Cup was a 2-1 Hibs win, a game that IIRC was pretty ropey, John O’Neill (not that one) gave QoS the lead before David Murphy scored a free kick and Thomas Sowumni gave us a winner, his only goal he scored for us, my main memory of him was him going one vs one in an edinburgh derby we lost in late on and missing.

We have however twice met in the league cup in recent times and lost both games; 3-1 in 2016 (a Lyndon Dykes & Stephen Dobbie masterclass) and 2-0 in 2012 - Nicky Clark and Gavin Reilly scoring, albeit up against what was pretty much our reserves Pa Kujabi and Shefki Kuqi both played from the start and they are definitely two of the worst players ever to play for us.

I think Murphy's long range effort was in open play, rather than from a free kick.  It also put Hibs in front.  O'Neill's goal was an equaliser.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I think Murphy's long range effort was in open play, rather than from a free kick.  It also put Hibs in front.  O'Neill's goal was an equaliser.

That’s my mistake if that’s the case, possibly got it confused with the St Johnstone semi final in 2007 and assumed both were free kicks. I should really double check this shit tbh.

9 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

That’s my mistake if that’s the case, possibly got it confused with the St Johnstone semi final in 2007 and assumed both were free kicks. I should really double check this shit tbh.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure myself about the nature of the goal.  Others will correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm pretty certain that it was the first goal of the match though.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure myself about the nature of the goal.  Others will correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm pretty certain that it was the first goal of the match though.

I have a big spreadsheet of Hibs matches (yes I know what a nerd, needed something to do during lockdown though) going back years and the scorers listed but not goaltimes or notes or anything so the commentary around it was just memory which clearly isn’t as accurate as I thought it was.

We actually have an incredible record against Hibs in the past 20 years or so - 5 wins and 3 draws out of 18 is probably better than our record against Alloa or at least it seems like it?

Trying to remember why I wrote Leith's Pretenders in the OP title, pretty sure I had Leith's Proclaimers in mind at the time. Must have had something of a wee Chrissie Hynde moment at the end there. Sorry Craig, sorry Charlie. Never mind, hey ho.