Albums of 2021

GNU_Linux

• 2 weeks later...

New Black Midi album is out. Almost every review has mentioned Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson and whilst there are elements of both, along with a healthy smattering of kitchen sinks, I can't help but think they have been listening to the collected works of Scott Walker, which for a Walkerphile like myself is a very exciting development.  "Ascending Forth" and  "Diamond Stuff" are early frontrunners but on the first few listens this track is edging it for me. 

On 17/05/2021 at 10:50, George Parr said:

New Manchester Orchestra is a slow-burner with an emphasis on slow but has its moments.

The double-whammy of Keel Timing/Bed Head is superb, but the album as a whole hasn't grabbed me by the nuts like Black Mile To the Surface did.

1 hour ago, ArabGaz said:

Home is Where - I Became Birds.

Sounds a bit like an Emo/Punk version of Neutral Milk Hotel. Only 6 songs and 18 mins long but well worth a listen.

Honestly, you didn’t sell that very well, but I’ll check it out anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Honestly, you didn’t sell that very well, but I’ll check it out anyway. 

Yeah, I must admit that when my mate recommended it to me I wasn’t sold myself but I did enjoy the album when I got round to hearing it.

On 08/06/2021 at 10:24, ArabGaz said:

Home is Where - I Became Birds.

Sounds a bit like an Emo/Punk version of Neutral Milk Hotel. Only 6 songs and 18 mins long but well worth a listen.

Mmm, not a patch on NMH, but a nice Enfield poltergeist front cover.

Had a listen to the Wolf Alice record after a few recommendations. Would it be unfair to say that their major label (RCA) was probably losing patience with them. I'm getting very strong Coldplay vibes. 

How come? I’ve seen a few folk say this, in regards that some songs may be seen as “anthemic” a la Coldplay but I can’t hear it myself. I despise Coldplay as well so wouldn’t be drawn to the sound if it were similar. Wolf Alice tour pretty relentless and are still “young” in the grand scheme of things, still developing, I can’t see how RCA would be chomping at them to make a big sounding album.

Wolf Alice album is indeed fantastic, does sound a little more commercial than the last, not getting the coldplay thing although i did think there was a bit of Billie Eilish about some of  it?

The Hold steady - open door policy  for me is still album of the year

Arab strap pretty high up there too (apart from 2nd song on album cant take that at all) 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

On 10/06/2021 at 18:25, SweeperDee said:

How come? I’ve seen a few folk say this, in regards that some songs may be seen as “anthemic” a la Coldplay but I can’t hear it myself. I despise Coldplay as well so wouldn’t be drawn to the sound if it were similar. Wolf Alice tour pretty relentless and are still “young” in the grand scheme of things, still developing, I can’t see how RCA would be chomping at them to make a big sounding album.

I listened to bits of it again. Compared to what I have heard by them before, which is not a huge amount tbf, it is polished to within an inch of its life. I was just wondering out loud if this was a conscious decision by the band or if the big bad major leant on them a bit. Anyway, it's number one. I'm sure RCA will be delighted. 

On 14/06/2021 at 20:16, Jimi Shandrix said:

I listened to bits of it again. Compared to what I have heard by them before, which is not a huge amount tbf, it is polished to within an inch of its life. I was just wondering out loud if this was a conscious decision by the band or if the big bad major leant on them a bit. Anyway, it's number one. I'm sure RCA will be delighted. 

It was obvious from some years back - well before they broke through - that they and / or their record company had some commercial ambition, from the effort being put into promotion and some big name remixers as well as production values. The new album is a continuation of it rather than any change in style.

It's alright. I don't quite get the hyperbolic levels of love being shown for it by the critics but it's perfectly listenable. The Coldplay comparison feels well harsh.

Wolf Alice’s Blue Weekend will win album of the year for sure. Utterly incredible. Last Man On Earth for song of the year as well.

It’s an absolute cert to be used in numerous adverts (hiya, John Lewis!) and film soundtracks. An absolutely fantastic song. Buzzing to see them again in January.