Albums of 2021

GNU_Linux

On 18/09/2021 at 03:22, Christophe said:

Listened to Donda too, but also way too long at 1hr 50, though thought it was pretty decent to good in places considering i'm not usually a fan.

Definitely needed trimmed and another once over on the productions a lot of the tracks sound like demos of better songs.

On 02/09/2021 at 16:34, Jimi Shandrix said:

This album get better with every listen

For reasons I can't quite pin down, I want to dislike BCNR but I really enjoyed their album. And I hate myself for it.

On 10/09/2021 at 17:29, The Skelpit Lug said:

It's been mentioned earlier but Faye Webster's new one "I Know I'm Funny ha ha" is an excellent album. With great lyrics, fine tunes, and some tremendous pedal-steel work, this is well worth a listen. 

I'm a fan. I've recommended it to a few folk over the past week.

14 hours ago, yoda said:

For reasons I can't quite pin down, I want to dislike BCNR but I really enjoyed their album. And I hate myself for it.

I can understand not wanting to like them. It's all a bit middle class and arty, and that thing with the snorkel at the Brits wouldn't have endeared them to me if I didn't already know of them.

The music rises above any such considerations though. I'd have given them album of the year already, if there weren't still a Parquet Courts album to come.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Technically we are into 2022 with this one as it's not out til February but here is the first track available from the second BCNR album. I adore their debut but I'm just not feeling this.

Most of the songs on the new album tracklist have been part of their live sets for a while already and have versions available on youtube. (Check out Basketball Shoes in particular, if you don't know it already.)

I suspect that one has been picked as the first single mostly because it's short enough to get more airplay.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

New single by Sunflower Bean is absolutely terrific.  

Their last album didn't live up to the promise of its singles, iirc, but I shall look out for next one nonetheless.

Another album that's not due until 2022, but I've had the new Bodega single in my head all today.

I’m getting to old to be this much in love with an unknown band like I did all those years ago [emoji23]

When this album is released in a couple of weeks I hope they get the success they deserve.

I don’t think anyone can touch them.

21 hours ago, paranoid android said:

Another shout for Cavalcade by Black Midi.

I hardly ever get remotely excited about modern bands, but I absolutely love the Black Midi lads, and I cannae wait to hear what they do next. 

I’ve recently watched a few of their live performances on You Tube for the first time and they look nothing like I imagined they would. The singer looks like he’s about 14! 

The drummer is an absolute tour de force as well.

Edited by ArabGaz

18 minutes ago, ArabGaz said:

I’ve recently watched a few of their live performances on You Tube for the first time and they look nothing like I imagined they would. The singer looks like he’s about 14! 😅.

The drummer is an absolute tour de force as well.

Aye, I think they must be quite young - they can play like f**k, and wee Geordie has a massive voice - the drummer is phenomenal, as you say - he's been playing since the age of 2, apparently. 

Norman Records are delivering the album tomorrow morning. I couldn't wait that long. Fired up Spotify and plugged in the cans at 1 minute past 12 for my first listen of "Sympathy Of Life" by Parquet Courts. I can't think of many bands who get me so excited at the release of a new album, (maybe Yo La Tengo or Comet Gain) but the early signs for this, their 9th in 10 years left me a bit disappointed. I thought the first two tracks released "Walking At A Downtown Pace" and "Black Widow Spider" were a bit PC by numbers. Thankfully, they are comfortably the two worst tracks on the album.  It's not their best by any stretch of the imagination but "Marathon Of Anger", "Plant Life", "Trullo" and "Pulcinella" are early favourites and up there with their best. I just wish they had included the full 10 minute version of "Plant Life" instead of the shorter version included here. On first listen, a solid 8 out of 10.