Albums of 2021

GNU_Linux

Having already released one of this year's best albums in "Interim Report , March 1979", Warrington-Runcorn New Town Development Plan quickly release their follow up today. "People & Industry" hasn't quite grabbed me as much as the stellar debut but I've a feeling it's a slow burner. RIYL the Ghost Box label, Boards of Canada or the like.

Low release their 16th album "HEY WHAT" today and it is one of their best. Similar in feel to their previous LP "Double Negative", I would expect to see this near the top of a lot of album of the year lists. For me, their best album since 2001's "Things We Lost In The Fire".

Horsegirl are an American trio who released their debut single in April. It was a run of 750 7" and it sold out straight away. Thankfully for slow folk like me, it is getting reissued next week on lovely jobby brown 7" vinyl. Two really good tracks that suggests a full length album will be worth looking out for. I am a Yo La Tengo nut, and this really reminds me  of mid to late 90's era YLT.

Had the new Wildhearts on on the car the past few days. 

Initially I didn't think it was as immediate as Renaissance Men but right into it now. Sort of similar to the progression from Earth Vs to PHUQ. A lot more twists and turns in the tune. Some mad heavy sections then big singalong choruses.

Sleepaway a highlight at the moment.

1 hour ago, well fan for life said:

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is spectacular. An incredible talent.

yeah I saw most of her set at End of the Road last week. Not my usual kind of thing but she's great.

On 03/09/2021 at 16:54, Boostin' Kev said:

Another Sault related release today with the new Little Simz album.

On 14/09/2021 at 14:51, well fan for life said:

Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is spectacular. An incredible talent.

This. 

What an album. 

Also enjoying this week:

Eric Bibb - Dear America : bluesy americana

Loscil - Clara : ambient strings 

Katy Kirby - Cool Dry Place : Big Thief-ish folk

Water From Your Eyes - Structure : psych-electro 

David Grubbs and Ryley Walker - A Tap On The Shoulder : guitar duo,  Grubbs is ex-Squirrel Bait and Walker's stuff is always good value

Shannon & The Clams -Year Of The Spider : punk/psych 

Dorothea Paas - Anything Can't Happen : melancholic singer/songwriter 

Jane Inc - Number One : Canadian multi-instrumentalist 

Mega Bog - Life, And Another : jazz-tinged pop 

Angel Olsen - Aisles : 80's covers EP

Started listening to that Metallica "Blacklist" album, 4 hours of artists covering Black Album songs, 7 versions of Enter Sandman by people i didn't know later i sacked it off and just put the original album on 

Listened to Donda too, but also way too long at 1hr 50, though thought it was pretty decent to good in places considering i'm not usually a fan.