Albums of 2021

GNU_Linux

13 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Black Midi are back! The new album "Cavalcade" is released on May 28th. If you didn't like them before, you sure as f**k aren't going to like them now. After my first go on this video, my first thought was wtf just happened to my eyes and ears. After the fourth go, I was left wondering what the second best single of 2021 would sound like.

It's certainly ... interesting. In principle I totally respect and applaud Black Midi for doing their thing, and I encourage them to carry on. I have even liked some of it. Whether that one is something I will actually want to listen to, in the future, it's too early to say.

• 2 weeks later...

.....And speaking of hyped guitar bands "New Long Leg" is the debut album by Dry Cleaning after a couple of scratchy but promising EP's. The main difference is in the production. The album sounds like it was made in a studio, rather than a shed. I was a bit unsure at first but it is an album that rewards repeated listening. Like Life Without Buildings riffing with The Fall with a side order of mid period Sonic Youth.

On 23/03/2021 at 23:57, Jimi Shandrix said:

Black Midi are back! The new album "Cavalcade" is released on May 28th. If you didn't like them before, you sure as f**k aren't going to like them now. After my first go on this video, my first thought was wtf just happened to my eyes and ears. After the fourth go, I was left wondering what the second best single of 2021 would sound like. 

Put me firmly in the "what the f**k is this shit?" category.  That's a very captivating video, but the music does absolutely nothing for me.  They're absolutely humourless on stage as well.

31 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Put me firmly in the "what the f**k is this shit?" category.  That's a very captivating video, but the music does absolutely nothing for me.  They're absolutely humourless on stage as well.

I think you will be far from lonely in the "what the f**k is this shit" camp but in a world of The National, Elbow and Noel Gallagher's meat and two veg, it's good that there are still bands like Black Midi doing something a little bit different. More power to them, I say.

8 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I think you will be far from lonely in the "what the f**k is this shit" camp but in a world of The National, Elbow and Noel Gallagher's meat and two veg, it's good that there are still bands like Black Midi doing something a little bit different. More power to them, I say.

Yes. I’d far sooner be challenged by music I just don’t get than listen to former Oasis members recording increasingly poorer versions of the same song.  

That being said, the new record by The Blips is as unoriginal as it comes but really is splendid fun. If you like Alabama rock (and I do) and if you can get past Taylor Hollingsworth’s vocals (somewhat harder) it is a great record with nods to, as you might expect, Drive By Truckers, the Glory Fires and so forth.  

On 07/04/2021 at 16:34, Jimi Shandrix said:

.....And speaking of hyped guitar bands "New Long Leg" is the debut album by Dry Cleaning after a couple of scratchy but promising EP's. The main difference is in the production. The album sounds like it was made in a studio, rather than a shed. I was a bit unsure at first but it is an album that rewards repeated listening. Like Life Without Buildings riffing with The Fall with a side order of mid period Sonic Youth.

I liked it on first listen but thought it got a bit repetitive towards the end. I’m expecting this to be the Rough Trade Club Album of The Month do will give it another listen when the vinyl arrives.

Indie tweeness at it’s finest with the new record by the tediously named Reds, Pinks and Purples.  Belle and Sebastian long since disappeared up their own backsides and into three hour lectures on Facebook about Christianity, but if they hadn’t, this is what I’d hope they’d be doing.

• 4 weeks later...

Top 10 so far:

1 Pearl Charles - Magic Mirror 

2 Dry Cleaning - New long Leg

3 the Gracious Losers - Six Road Ends

4 Hadda Be - Another Life

5 Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over ...

6 Godspeed YBE - G_d’s Pee ...

7 HAIM - Women in Music Part III

8 Maxwell Sterling- Turn of Phrase

9 Du Blonde - Homecoming

10 Veik - Surrounding Structures

Pearl Charles is looking like album of the year even at this early stage. 

Last Night From Glasgow goes from strength to strength with 2 crackers from Gracious Losers and Hadda Be.

Dry Cleaning has really grown on me after feeling a bit repetitive at first.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor is amazing and should go higher in the list after a few more listens.

Received the Squid album yesterday but not had a chance to play it yet.

Rudimentary Peni new one also arrived yesterday. On first listen it doesn’t reach the heights of their earlier stuff but still great. Might get into the top 10 after a few more listens.

A bit disappointed with the new Teenage Fanclub especially the vocals but will persevere.

Arab Strap just missing out on top 10 for now.

On 07/05/2021 at 02:17, Andre Drazen said:

Getting the sense Twenty One Pilots are going for a bit of a blend between Vessel and Bandito. I'm all for it. Shy Away is fantastic. 

Good God! Please tell me these c***s haven't been given the means to inflict another album upon us.

On 06/05/2021 at 16:34, mighty meadow said:

Top 10 so far:

1 Pearl Charles - Magic Mirror 

2 Dry Cleaning - New long Leg

3 the Gracious Losers - Six Road Ends

4 Hadda Be - Another Life

5 Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over ...

6 Godspeed YBE - G_d’s Pee ...

7 HAIM - Women in Music Part III

8 Maxwell Sterling- Turn of Phrase

9 Du Blonde - Homecoming

10 Veik - Surrounding Structures

Pearl Charles is looking like album of the year even at this early stage. 

Last Night From Glasgow goes from strength to strength with 2 crackers from Gracious Losers and Hadda Be.

Dry Cleaning has really grown on me after feeling a bit repetitive at first.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor is amazing and should go higher in the list after a few more listens.

Received the Squid album yesterday but not had a chance to play it yet.

Rudimentary Peni new one also arrived yesterday. On first listen it doesn’t reach the heights of their earlier stuff but still great. Might get into the top 10 after a few more listens.

A bit disappointed with the new Teenage Fanclub especially the vocals but will persevere.

Arab Strap just missing out on top 10 for now.

Really like the Squid album, was a big fan of Houseplants single they released a few years ago. I also like Dry Cleaning album :)  

Godspeed You! Black Emperor playing at Barrowlands next year. Don't think I've seen them play live since 2000 which i think over that year I watched them 3 times! 

Edited by betting competition

The new Weezer record is an absolute blast.  It makes me so happy.  Even their pop album is tolerable.  

Lana Del Rey’s last record was terrific, so her new one excites me.  One verse into the first song and it’s all Mark Kozelek and it’s all sorts of inexplicable.

Update on LDR:  Chemtrails over the Country Club is, like the last record, patchy, but the highs are absolutely great.  The title track is just brilliant.

Edited by Savage Henry

The new Weezer record is an absolute blast.  It makes me so happy.  Even their pop album is tolerable.  
Lana Del Rey’s last record was terrific, so her new one excites me.  One verse into the first song and it’s all Mark Kozelek and it’s all sorts of inexplicable.
Agree on the new Weezer album, it's great!! [emoji108]

55 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

The Coral - Welcome to Coral Island.

I didnt even know The Coral were still on the go. I mind seeing them live around 2004 when the first album must of been out. I will check that album out. Cheers

Edited by BigDoddyKane