The 2021 NFL Draft

lichtie23

Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith for a year. If they believe Trey Lance, for example, can be an elite QB with a year on the sidelines then I think they can keep Garopollo as the starter for a season.

The Pats will go with Newton I'm sure.

1 hour ago, The Golden God said:

I think they’re saying they won’t trade Garoppolo to try and get a higher price for him. There’s no way you give up that much and then don’t start whoever you pick. If I’m the Patriots I would give up a 2nd for him at most and it makes sense with no other QB looking available at this point.

Exactly this. No point in saying they are looking to shift him because they will loose any power in negotiations. I think they Niners would take a 2nd round pick for him TBH though maybe, optimistically, they are hopefully of a 1st. I'd be surprised if they got that though.

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

Exactly this. No point in saying they are looking to shift him because they will loose any power in negotiations. I think they Niners would take a 2nd round pick for him TBH though maybe, optimistically, they are hopefully of a 1st. I'd be surprised if they got that though.

I wouldn't be shocked if they try trading him and end up having to cut him.

4 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I wouldn't be shocked if they try trading him and end up having to cut him.

I'd be surprised if he isn't moved on sooner rather than later in whatever capacity. I think if he is cut before June 1st they only eat around $2 million or $3 million in dead cap space against a saving of around $24 million. Even if they did get to the SB with him the fact is he hasn't been fit for something like 2/3rds of his SF career. Can't be paying a guy the money he gets to sit on the sidelines.

I'm seriously excited for what the Niners do in the draft. I hope they go for Lance but I bet they end up picking up another DE :lol: 

Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith for a year. If they believe Trey Lance, for example, can be an elite QB with a year on the sidelines then I think they can keep Garopollo as the starter for a season.
The Pats will go with Newton I'm sure.
The Chiefs weren't looking at saving 23 million in cap space if they had cut Smith though.

Niners allegedly attending / attended Mac Jones's pro day over Justin Fields which has suggested that's who they are looking at. If they've given up all those draft picks for Jones then that's comical as he could easily have fallen into their lap at 12. Surely it's going to be Fields or Lance?

Everyone knows that Lawrence is going at 1 and given that half of the Niners coaches from last season at with the Jets now they will have a good idea who they are taking at 2.

Edited by RiG

I never pay too much attention to the pre draft talk and mock drafts , so many variables once you get outside the top 3 or 4 picks. 

However I do scan the mocks for the latest incredible names and as well as Tommy Tremble, I'm all in for the Bills taking this guy 

Screenshot_20210330-094118.png

I don't get the love affair with Lance? He's had one year -- yes it was awesome -- at the I-AA (no, I'm not calling it FCS) level playing with what is a very good if not great roster (for that level) and will only be 21.

If the 49ers are dumb enough to draft a guy straight from I-AA after one season of lighting up teams like Illinois State and Nicholls and start him, good luck with that.

19 hours ago, RiG said:

Niners allegedly attending / attended Mac Jones's pro day over Justin Fields which has suggested that's who they are looking at. If they've given up all those draft picks for Jones then that's comical as he could easily have fallen into their lap at 12. Surely it's going to be Fields or Lance?

Everyone knows that Lawrence is going at 1 and given that half of the Niners coaches from last season at with the Jets now they will have a good idea who they are taking at 2.

I'd take Jones No. 2 after Lawrence in this batch of QBs.

12 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

I'd take Jones No. 2 after Lawrence in this batch of QBs.

Dunno about that one chief. I haven't paid much attention to the QB's this year cos the Browns don't need one, but didn't Jones pretty much spend the whole season hitting wide open receivers through huge throwing lanes?

I think there are a huge amount of questions over Fields, Lance and Jones since they've all played so little football. When I think of the best QB prospects coming out in recent years, they played a ton in college.

7 minutes ago, G51 said:

Dunno about that one chief. I haven't paid much attention to the QB's this year cos the Browns don't need one, but didn't Jones pretty much spend the whole season hitting wide open receivers through huge throwing lanes?

I think there are a huge amount of questions over Fields, Lance and Jones since they've all played so little football. When I think of the best QB prospects coming out in recent years, they played a ton in college.

dunno Burrow got number 1 pick last year after 1 season of hitting wide open recievers.... then got Killed playing throwing on every down for the bengals.

i know he played 2 seasons for LSU but wasn't spectacular in the first.

4 minutes ago, steelmen said:

dunno Burrow got number 1 pick last year after 1 season of hitting wide open recievers.... then got Killed playing throwing on every down for the bengals.

i know he played 2 seasons for LSU but wasn't spectacular in the first.

Yeah, but he put together probably the greatest season in college football history in his second year at LSU, so it's a little different.

9 hours ago, G51 said:

Completely agree with the bold part.

I saw Jones play several times and I like the ball he throws. That doesn't mean anything and he may end up sucking like the majority of Bama QBs who play with all-world rosters, but I'd take him over Fields and Lance all day. Jones played 13 games against high-level competition with defenses who will have some NFL, XFL and CFL-caliber defenders.

Fields has played two seasons, but imo there's a lot of crap in the Big 10/14. How many pro-caliber secondary players did he face in the regular season? I'll definitely give him credit for lighting up Clemson, but I'm not really sold on him. Don't get me started on Lance again...

4 hours ago, The Golden God said:

No chance. Jones was on the best team with 2 of the top WR’s in the country. Everyone thought he was a 2nd rounder till all this Niners chat started highly doubt they’ve traded all that for a guy they could’ve easily got later.

I'm simply stating who I would take of the quarterbacks presented in this draft. It wasn't a prediction of who would be taken and I don't really care what the 49ers do or don't do (they've shown they aren't very smart with the trade they just made and how they operated last year) or what the "experts" say who goes in what round. I'm going off my own eyes of what I saw this past season.

10 hours ago, G51 said:

Yeah, but he put together probably the greatest season in college football history in his second year at LSU, so it's a little different.

Not completely. He played with arguably the best offensive talent in NCAA history under an offensive coordinator in Joe Brady who most think is brilliant and had four games against worthless competition (5 if you count Arkansas). Jones had -- Steve Sarkisian? -- as his OC and ended up with a better passer rating while not being able to pad his stats against Vanderbilt, Georgia Southern, Northwestern State and Utah State.

Edited by AmericanFan
more

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of places now suggesting Jerrah is obsessed with Kyle Pitts and is even willing to trade up to #4 to get him. Others saying that he won't last beyond Detroit at #7

Aside from my opinions on taking any TE/WR that high, it's definitely good news as a Chargers fan if teams definitely see him as a top 10 pick. The more non OL go 1-12 the better the chances of a blue-chipper falling, but all the same, it looks like we'd likely have our pick of CB's if Sewell and Slater are off the board and they're not sold on 2nd rate prospects like Darrisaw. I like Jaycee Horn on tape, but he comes across as thick as two short planks in interviews <_<

Edited by Boo Khaki

This was an interesting article explaining why the Dolphins might not want to get a wide receiver at 6. Basically history shows that the wide receivers taken early by the Dolphins haven’t been as good as the ones taken in later rounds - showing there’s always a deep amount of talent at the position. Pretty much every mock draft I’ve seen has us taking Smith/Chase/Waddell/Pitts (know he’s a TE but the articles talk about his versatility), but I’m now starting to wonder if they go with someone else and get a WR at 18.

Edited by Slacker