The 2021 NFL Draft

lichtie23

It's not just the Dolphins. High pick WR's flame out or underwhelm at a phenomenal rate, hence why I'm always banging on about them being a silly draft pick. 

I totally accept that if you have a Calvin Johnson level talent sitting there, then yes, of course you take the chance, but ordinarily, unless you are looking for a QB you are far better spending that pick on a pass rusher, OL, Corner etc.

I'm still fucking furious with Tom Telesco for taking Mike Williams at #7. Nothing he did in college justified that pick, and he's done nothing in the NFL to justify it either.

The only WR worth a high pick in this draft is Chase, and you’d imagine he won’t get past No.5.

Kyle Pitts is also worth a high pick despite being a TE. Guy tested like a freak and produced well in college. 

23 minutes ago, G51 said:

The only WR worth a high pick in this draft is Chase, and you’d imagine he won’t get past No.5.

Kyle Pitts is also worth a high pick despite being a TE. Guy tested like a freak and produced well in college. 

Pitt’s could definitely play WR as well

9 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

You can probably just line him up wherever you want to tbh. He’s a matchup problem. Could play him as an X receiver like the Dolphins did with Gesicki.

4 minutes ago, G51 said:

You can probably just line him up wherever you want to tbh. He’s a matchup problem. Could play him as an X receiver like the Dolphins did with Gesicki.

And he looks twice the player Gesicki is 

What are people's thoughts on this year's QB class, for those of us that don't follow the college game?

Which are likely to be megastars, which could be solid starters, which might make a good career for themselves and which are overrated and likely to be practice squad fodder or unemployed in a few seasons?

What are people's thoughts on this year's QB class, for those of us that don't follow the college game?
Which are likely to be megastars, which could be solid starters, which might make a good career for themselves and which are overrated and likely to be practice squad fodder or unemployed in a few seasons?
Trevor Lawrence is a concensus generational talent and has been forecast as being the number 1 overall pick in this draft since his freshman season. He is the best prospect since Andrew Luck or arguably even Peyton Manning. He is the safest pick and also has a very high upside.

Then you have a gap to the next four QBs. You have a high floor but low upside pick in Mac Jones and three players who gave huge potential in Wilson, Fields and Lance.

It is one of the better QB classes in the last decade plus. I suspect all five of them will been gone by pick 9.

I feel like Lawrence will fail because of his hair.

Jones will be average because Alabama QB’s always suck and he’s had 2/3 of the best in college.

Wilson will be good but the Jets are cursed so he’ll be in the Rivers/Stafford category of being good but winning f**k all.

No clue about Fields.

Lance will be class but only if he goes to the Pats.

I don’t watch any college so these opinions are completely pointless but maybe I’ll be seen as the best scout or stupidest c**t in NFL history in 10 years.

4 hours ago, BishyTON said:

Trevor Lawrence is a concensus generational talent and has been forecast as being the number 1 overall pick in this draft since his freshman season. He is the best prospect since Andrew Luck or arguably even Peyton Manning. He is the safest pick and also has a very high upside.

He’s physically tough, mentally tough, the kind of kid that you can trust.

The only thing I have a concern about with Lawrence is his physique. 

Yep, he has great size for a QB, and having seen him shirtless it's clear he's ripped, however, he doesn't appear to have any mass or bulk to that musculature at all. People will say 'oh a year or two in an NFL program', but that's really not how things work with QB's. Their mechanics are so important that they can't just beef up to protect themselves in the way that players at other positions can. I'd be worried that after a couple of years behind an iffy OL, if he starts taking a regular beating that he just won't hold up.

This is total nit-picking, because I think on talent he really has it all, including the mobility to run away from the rush in most situations, but generally there aren't a lot of long-lived successful but stringy QB's around, even the ones that are tall and stringy like TL.

I still think that in all likelihood he'll go on to have a great NFL career and just be a bit of an anomaly, but when I see him I can't help but think that he's a bit frail looking for a guy that is being talked up as the sort of prospect that comes around every 20-30 years. I like a bit of podge on my QB's. It has it's uses in the NFL.

On 12/04/2021 at 12:47, The Golden God said:

I feel like Lawrence will fail because of his hair.

Jones will be average because Alabama QB’s always suck and he’s had 2/3 of the best in college.

Wilson will be good but the Jets are cursed so he’ll be in the Rivers/Stafford category of being good but winning f**k all.

No clue about Fields.

Lance will be class but only if he goes to the Pats.

I don’t watch any college so these opinions are completely pointless but maybe I’ll be seen as the best scout or stupidest c**t in NFL history in 10 years.

Most NFL scouts' opinions are completely pointless as well.

Edited by AmericanFan

On 12/04/2021 at 06:46, Bully Wee Villa said:

Like the rest of the draft, it's a complete crapshoot.

Lawrence is obviously the best talent coming out of college. Will he be a star? Who knows. Every other guy has major question marks. I think Jones is the next best, but he played with all-star talent and there's really no way to know how any of these guys will pan out. Wilson was apparently bad against the blitz and played a very weak schedule, Lance has too small a sample size and played against bad competition, and Fields wasn't particularly good against some mediocre competition like Indiana and Northwestern.

Lawrence will likely start from week 1. The others aren't ready to start and need to sit, but a few will likely start anyway because it's the NFL. Wilson and Lance  have never thrown against decent secondaries.

On 12/04/2021 at 06:28, lichtie23 said:

On 12/04/2021 at 06:38, G51 said:

K-State tight end Briley Moore a "close" second to Pitts as the best TE in this draft.

Spoiler

And by "close" I mean will be lucky to be drafted in the seventh round and is most likely signed as an undrafted free agent.

Edited by AmericanFan
more

Maybe it’s just me, but it really feels like the draft has snuck up on me this year. Less than two weeks away!

On 15/04/2021 at 05:44, AmericanFan said:

K-State tight end Briley Moore a "close" second to Pitts as the best TE in this draft.

Hide contents

And by "close" I mean will be lucky to be drafted in the seventh round and is most likely signed as an undrafted free agent.

We’re all homers from time to time aren’t we