The 2021 NFL Draft

lichtie23

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Chargers really shouldn't be looking at anything other than OL, CB, or Edge in the 1st, so no doubt we'll take yet another skill position player just like every other time the OL has been farcically poor.

They are the obvious options but I would be happy with Jaylen Waddle if he gets to 13, would be perfect for Herbert.

Bears really need to sort out the o line this season, maybe try and get a decent QB in free agency 
Other than Lawrence, who we have no chance of getting, what are the QBs like in this draft? Any we could get that might be good?

Need an OT and G really. Still hoping Daniels works out in the Centre and Whitehair is a good player.

I'd try to trade Mack for a 1st and 2nd Round pick. Not sure we would get 2 1sts for him.

Use a 1st round pick from next year to move up the order and get a QB. Use our original 1st rounder on an OT.

Then use our 2nd Rounders on a G and WR, as it looks like Robinson is off.

I think it's almost impossible to win in the NFL nowadays without a good QB and OLine.

My brother hates this idea btw.

4 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

what are the QBs like in this draft?

There could be as many as 4 taken overall in the 1st round this year. It then would seem the draft position will go down pretty quickly, Jones in the 2nd, Trask in the 3rd or 4th round and then anywhere you want for the rest.

Obviously we aren't gonna get the first QB, but is there anyone worth trading up from 20 to, say, anywhere between 5th and 10th in the draft for?

Given Nagy and Pace's draft history, I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade this year's and next year's number one pick for a shot at an elite QB in the top ten, but not sure if there are candidates who would fit the bill?

Question for people who know about college football. 🙂

18 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Obviously we aren't gonna get the first QB, but is there anyone worth trading up from 20 to, say, anywhere between 5th and 10th in the draft for?

Given Nagy and Pace's draft history, I wouldn't be surprised to see us trade this year's and next year's number one pick for a shot at an elite QB in the top ten, but not sure if there are candidates who would fit the bill?

Question for people who know about college football. 🙂

There is a good chance that 3 qb's are taken with the first 4 picks. Just to give you an idea of where you'd have to trade upto. 

17 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

If we gave up huge draft capital and missed again though emoji22.png

f**k it, we have to do something to try to fix the QB situation. If we don't do that we aren't winning a Super Bowl in the next decade anyway. Gamble everything on it, nothing to lose as we are mediocre anyway.

On 16/01/2021 at 17:15, Super_A said:

They are the obvious options but I would be happy with Jaylen Waddle if he gets to 13, would be perfect for Herbert.

I really can't see the value in taking a WR in the 1st when so many of them flame-out completely. Perhaps next year if Williams continues his lacklustre performances and he isn't resigned, but I'd shy away from 1st round WR's in general, and especially 5'10" WR's.

I think Herbert is going to be another one of those QB's who does just fine throwing to absolute trash, so I'd prefer to try to fix the OL and benefit his protection and boost the running game, or add some talent to the two areas of the D that are wearing really thin. Talk is that Staley is going to install a 3/4 system, and if that's true, then we really need to figure out who is going to be playing OLB because right now I don't see a single player under contract who I'm convinced could do that successfully. Perhaps Nwosu, but even if he worked out we're still missing a complimentary player on the other side, I'm not convinced Linval is a 3/4 NT, and Bosa said ages ago that despite performing perfectly well in the role in his rookie season, he personally hates playing 3/4 DT and is far more comfortable playing 4/3 End. I think that would be the nail in the coffin so far as any hope of Jerry Tillery becoming an every down player goes, although I do think a Perryman/Tranquil combo at ILB is interesting. Would let both play to their strengths. I'm still not sold on Murray as a starter, but it's early days with him yet.

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I really can't see the value in taking a WR in the 1st when so many of them flame-out completely. Perhaps next year if Williams continues his lacklustre performances and he isn't resigned, but I'd shy away from 1st round WR's in general, and especially 5'10" WR's.

I think Herbert is going to be another one of those QB's who does just fine throwing to absolute trash, so I'd prefer to try to fix the OL and benefit his protection and boost the running game, or add some talent to the two areas of the D that are wearing really thin. Talk is that Staley is going to install a 3/4 system, and if that's true, then we really need to figure out who is going to be playing OLB because right now I don't see a single player under contract who I'm convinced could do that successfully. Perhaps Nwosu, but even if he worked out we're still missing a complimentary player on the other side, I'm not convinced Linval is a 3/4 NT, and Bosa said ages ago that despite performing perfectly well in the role in his rookie season, he personally hates playing 3/4 DT and is far more comfortable playing 4/3 End. I think that would be the nail in the coffin so far as any hope of Jerry Tillery becoming an every down player goes, although I do think a Perryman/Tranquil combo at ILB is interesting. Would let both play to their strengths. I'm still not sold on Murray as a starter, but it's early days with him yet.

I disagree with the point about WRs in the 1st round. I'd be shocked if Chase, Smith and Waddle weren't at the very least good NFL WRs. Chase and Smith will be gone by 13 and Waddle would be a 4th in preference behind the 3 positions you mentioned initially but I'd be happy he he was the pick. O line is the obvious pick by far though. Probably should be taking 2 O Line guys in the first 3 rounds.

The defensive system will probably depend on who comes in as DC I'd imagine. I know the Rams ran a 3-4 but I don't know if that is Staleys preference or if they kept it from Phillips. Nwosu played OLB in college I'm sure, so he could move there comfortably I imagine. Murray played better towards the end of the season, he will be fine I think. Perryman should be re-signed, on a cheap deal though given he gets injured all the time. If they stay as a 4-3 I could see Tillery moving to the edge he played there a bit when Bosa and Ingram were out and actually got a bit of pressure on the QB, something he never done when he was playing inside

The problem with playing Tillery at End is he gets totally wiped any time he tries to set the edge against the run. To be honest, if he doesn't improve his entire game across the board, the only place I can see him having a future in the NFL is as a pure pass-rushing DT in Nickel/Dime sets. He plays the run in base sets like he's on rollerskates, and although he's occasionally flashed some skills as a pass rusher, I don't think he's actually skilled enough at it to play full-time End.

One of Telesco's frequent head-scratcher high round draft picks. He gets far too much credit for drafting no-brainers like Bosa and James, and nowhere near enough scrutiny for the number of 1's, 2's, and 3's that he completely whiffs on.

I can only hope that if we do take OL then the new coaching regime is far better at evaluating OL talent than Telesco and Co have been so far. I think the last Probowl OL we drafted was Marcus McNeil, and that's 15 years ago. The Smith/Telesco approach of Wallmarting the OL by taking shots with 3rd and 4th rounders has never worked. In fact, I think that you could make a case for the best OL Telesco has drafted being Sam Tevi, and even then, his ceiling as an NFL talent is probably a dependable swing Tackle, not a full-time starter. Lamp and Feeney are both flat-out awful and need replaced as much as either of our Tackles, Pouncey needs to retire, Bulaga should retire and stop stealing his salary, and Turner is a candidate to be cut outright. It's a complete shambles.

Edited by Boo Khaki

2 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

f**k it, we have to do something to try to fix the QB situation. If we don't do that we aren't winning a Super Bowl in the next decade anyway. Gamble everything on it, nothing to lose as we are mediocre anyway.

Take out the risk and gamble of the draft and give the Texans what they want for Watson. 

The thing with Telesco is a lot the picks he's made have been good picks on paper but they haven't worked out, whether that's because of bad coaching or they just weren't that good in the first place I don't know, Lamp, Feeney and it looks like Adderley all fall under that, Lamp tearing his ACL in rookie camp didn't help. Tevi was a 6th round pick so him being a back up guy is fine for his draft position Pouncey will retire I think and Feeney probably re-signed to play center. Turner can be cut quite cheaply i'm sure and saves a good bit of cap space so I can see that happening.

I didn't have any problems with the Lamp and Adderly picks, but so far Tillery is doing exactly what I thought he'd do in the NFL by watching his college tape, i.e. f**k all, and Mike Williams is playing exactly like I thought he would once you factored in that NFL DB's are far harder to just physically bully than most of the stuff you run into in college.

It's these picks that I don't really understand, and don't really believe he gets enough criticism for. Tillery just never at any point looked like a 1st round NFL DT to me. Nowhere near stout enough, and Williams couldn't get separation in college and relied on his physical tools. Why, just why, are you spending the 7th overall pick on a WR who has never shown any ability to get open purely by running routes? It's batshit.

Least said about laughers like Fluker and Te'o the better. To be honest, the 2013 draft would have justified SD firing him after one season alone. It's pure luck Allen was injured and fell to us, but replacing one leaden-footed blob of a Tackle with another, spending your 1st round pick to do so, and then blowing your 2nd on a guy who was clearly lacking the physical tools to ever be an effective full-time LB in the NFL, AND came with a heap of baggage to boot...

There wasn't a single player from his 2014 draft who made a 2nd contract, and Perryman is the only player still around from the 2015 class. These are the drafts that should have netted us our current, marquee, blue-chippers. Instead, we have absolutely nothing besides Keenan Allen, and yet Telesco is still lauded as one of the better GM's  for some reason. Fair enough, he did well in 2016 with Bosa and Henry back to back, but so far 2017 is looking like yet another wipe besides a few depth pieces and backups, and sadly, Derwin James is one injury away from being another Jason Verrett

The 2013 draft was awful in general, there was about 10 good players in the whole draft.

I agree with most of what you said tbh, I would like to see lists of all the other GMs draft records  to compare. I like Williams but he wasn't worth being picked that highly. Melvin Gordon is probably the 1st round pick of his I dislike the most tbh, traded up 2 spots to take an average RB in the 1st round, just needless. 

Edited by Super_A

1 hour ago, Super_A said:

The 2013 draft was awful in general, there was about 10 good players in the whole draft.

I agree with most of what you said tbh, I would like to see lists of all the other GMs draft records  to compare. I like Williams but he wasn't worth being picked that highly. Melvin Gordon is probably the 1st round pick of his I dislike the most tbh, traded up 2 spots to take an average RB in the 1st round, just needless. 

I was livid when they took Ryan Mathews when our OL had been falling apart the previous season. They then doubled down on that idiocy by trading up to take Gordon when the OL was still an absolute shambles and directly responsible for the deterioration in our QB's play.

If you look at 2008-2010, statistically Rivers was arguably the top QB in the entire NFL. What brought that to an end was, in my opinion, the total lack of investment into our OL. He got hit a ridiculous amount in 2011 and 2012, and he was never quite the same after it. It's interesting that he went from being a QB that was noted for his care with the ball, to being one of the worst for chuck and duck INT's in the league. I think he had something like 60-70 starts before he ever had a 3 INT game, then it all went to shit after 2010.

Edited by Boo Khaki