I feel sorry for those youngings who were born in the 1980s.

JayCrawford

On 08/01/2021 at 03:10, The_Kincardine said:

My 18 yo is a bit of a music buff with a fondness for Billie Eilish and syncs her phone to the car 'wireless' so that I can listen to this crap and tells me I am an old fogey.

My response? "Look, I grew up in 'the absolute golden age of music' and when I get home I'll find Chicory Tip and The Wurzels on Spotify to prove it"

There was some truly memorable stuff around in the 70s :

I usually watch the repeats of Top of the Pops on BBC4. They're up to 1990 at the moment.

While I remember a lot of good stuff, like the Madchester scene, there was also a lot of absolute shite from a number of different genres. The episodes are slightly more "disjointed" if that's the correct word.

An episode from, say, 1984 would consist entirely of typical '80s pop tunes. An episode from 1990 usually has one cool British indie band, a Belgian/Dutch/Italian house or techno act, some SAW pish and a tedious American rock act like Michael Bolton. 

The individual episodes don't really flow.

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I usually watch the repeats of Top of the Pops on BBC4. They're up to 1990 at the moment.

While I remember a lot of good stuff, like the Madchester scene, there was also a lot of absolute shite from a number of different genres. The episodes are slightly more "disjointed" if that's the correct word.

An episode from, say, 1984 would consist entirely of typical '80s pop tunes. An episode from 1990 usually has one cool British indie band, a Belgian/Dutch/Italian house or techno act, some SAW pish and a tedious American rock act like Michael Bolton. 

Essential viewing for me. Watched the latest 2 episodes last night.  Featured this stunning performance by Guru Josh. 

3 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I can assure you that the majority of popular music in the 60s and 70s was cack. People who genuinely like music, rather than have it on in the background, always tend to look a bit deeper to find the real quality.

Every passing phase has brilliant, exceptional performers but they all get imitated by bandwagoners and record company lookalikes.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I can assure you that the majority of popular music in the 60s and 70s was cack. People who genuinely like music, rather than have it on in the background, always tend to look a bit deeper to find the real quality.

Every passing phase has brilliant, exceptional performers but they all get imitated by bandwagoners and record company lookalikes.

True. I mentioned this on another thread but people of my parent's generation have always told me that '60s music was the best. They only ever listened to compilations of chart hits. I had to discover the good stuff myself later.

8 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

True. I mentioned this on another thread but people of my parent's generation have always told me that '60s music was the best. They only ever listened to compilations of chart hits. I had to discover the good stuff myself later.

If they were like mine they'd have been listening to Gerry and the Pacemakers rather than The Stooges and Velvet Underground.

The logic of the opening post is all wrong

Teenagers can listen to Marvin Gaye even though he’s dead just as I “discovered”Jimi Hendrix in the ‘80s.

Since the dawn of recorded music each generation has had access to more music than the previous one and the millennials carry everything from Billie Holiday to Billie Eilish in their pocket

If we’re going to feel sorry for them it should be because of how bewilderingly varied their choices are

34 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The logic of the opening post is all wrong

Teenagers can listen to Marvin Gaye even though he’s dead just as I “discovered”Jimi Hendrix in the ‘80s.

Since the dawn of recorded music each generation has had access to more music than the previous one and the millennials carry everything from Billie Holiday to Billie Eilish in their pocket

If we’re going to feel sorry for them it should be because of how bewilderingly varied their choices are

I never "discovered" Buddy Holly until I came across a film of his life story in the late 70s. 

That kind of changed my life.