Jump to content
JayCrawford

What has happened to Music for the last 30 years?

Recommended Posts

A lot of nostalgic pish OP.

People laud the 60s because of The Beatles. A lot of what they recorded was pretty garbage. Polythene Pam? Lovely Rita? Garbage. There has been a load of brilliant music released over the past 30 years.  Anybody claiming Barbara fucking Streisand as one of the musical highlights of the previous decades frankly doesn't get to have a say on whether or not music has been poor since 1990. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JayCrawford said:

Throughout the golden ages of music the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. There was so many amazing music being made every week, there were so many great records and the legends we had then and EVERY genre peaked rock, funk, soul, reggae, country. We had Michael Jackson, Prince, Donna Summer, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Barbara Streisand, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Queen, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, James Brown, Joni Mitchell and so much more musical legends that changed the face of music.

The 90s was when everything went downhill. Teen pop explosion, Europop, eurodance, gangster rap, the decade when R&B music were just sampling older songs and covering older songs, birth of autotune's, rise of the internet, the invasion of pop boy bands and girl bands who were either 1 hit wonders or didn't have talent. No standout golden age for a specific genre happened then which is objectively a fact. 

The 00s, don't get me started on that era. 

 

The 1990s and 2000s were two terrible decades for music. 

all that new 20th century stuff is shite

8 hours ago, JayCrawford said:

I can find plenty of great songs that were on TOTPs throughout the 70s and 80s. 

 

Ah, was that the good old days for you too ?

 

 

Edited by Gus Setsniffer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

A lot of nostalgic pish OP.

People laud the 60s because of The Beatles. A lot of what they recorded was pretty garbage. Polythene Pam? Lovely Rita? Garbage. There has been a load of brilliant music released over the past 30 years.  Anybody claiming Barbara fucking Streisand as one of the musical highlights of the previous decades frankly doesn't get to have a say on whether or not music has been poor since 1990. 

Adele will be looked upon in the same light sometime in the future, i'd have Streisand over that squealing bint every time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Gus Setsniffer said:

Adele will be looked upon in the same light sometime in the future, i'd have Streisand over that squealing bint every time

This isnt an either/or option.

Neither of them are high points of popular music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BallochSonsFan said:

This isnt an either/or option.

Neither of them are high points of popular music.

Barbara Streisand isn't? According to who? 80s babies who missed out on good music? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BallochSonsFan said:

This isnt an either/or option.

Neither of them are high points of popular music.

Oh wait... Just found out, you were born in 1979... You missed out on the 60s, 70s and you missed the first half of the 80s from 80-85. 

 

Your opinion is already invalid to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JayCrawford said:

Barbara Streisand isn't? According to who? 80s babies who missed out on good music? 

You keep telling yourself that she's a diamond.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JayCrawford said:

Oh wait... Just found out, you were born in 1979... You missed out on the 60s, 70s and you missed the first half of the 80s from 80-85. 

 

Your opinion is already invalid to me

Aye. Because it's absolutely impossible for me to have a stack of records by Big Bill Broonzy, Ledbelly, Skip James, Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe, Kitty Wells...

 

But hey. You keep telling yourself that the cultural highpoint of popular music included Everybody's Going To The Moon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You say Justin Bieber- I say Avenged Sevenfold You say Miley Cyrus- I say Pantera You say T-Pain- I say Led Zeppelin 92% of teenagers have turned to Pop.If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this message to another 5 videos. DONT LET ROCK DIE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Aye. Because it's absolutely impossible for me to have a stack of records by Big Bill Broonzy, Ledbelly, Skip James, Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe, Kitty Wells...

 

But hey. You keep telling yourself that the cultural highpoint of popular music included Everybody's Going To The Moon.

Not same as living through it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lockdown, WFH since March has helped me fall in love with new music again.

Discovered so much during the year, I kick myself for not making more of an effort in recent years.

Most of these bands sound like 80s tribute bands though (both electronic and guitar). Not sure what that says....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Before Dua Lipa there was no music.

I said something similar on a football thread about being too young to have seen iconic games.

I'd  rather be 20 now than be old enough to have seen Joy Division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I said something similar on a football thread about being too young to have seen iconic games.

I'd  rather be 20 now than be old enough to have seen Joy Division.

This is going to sound very "yer da" but I was 20 in 1995 and it was a pretty good time to be young. Britpop was at its height, music festivals were becoming increasingly popular, Scotland were qualifying for tournaments, there was no social media and very few people had mobile phones. 

I wouldn't want to be 20 now, but I'd love to be 20 in 1995 again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

This is going to sound very "yer da" but I was 20 in 1995 and it was a pretty good time to be young. Britpop was at its height, music festivals were becoming increasingly popular, Scotland were qualifying for tournaments, there was no social media and very few people had mobile phones. 

I wouldn't want to be 20 now, but I'd love to be 20 in 1995 again...

We're getting too philosophical in response to a thread created by a complete loon. (Who is he by the way, a genuinely new looney or one of the old ones thinly disguised?)

Everybody has their own truth or belief about when was best, regardless of that, I'd rather be young than old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

We're getting too philosophical in response to a thread created by a complete loon. (Who is he by the way, a genuinely new looney or one of the old ones thinly disguised?)

I think it’s quite a good bot, but it's given the game away with Streisand 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The early 90s was a fantastic time for music.
Rave scene, madchester, fantastic uk and American hip hop. All peak times for those respective genres.
I think that streaming killed off the underground exposure and the majority of people now listen to pre selected playlists and like a smaller range of genres and bands.
Severe lack of independent record or cd shops now and tbh there doesn't seem to have been a new youth movement since the rave scene. Possibly because of lack of adversity and having everything instantly and at the touch of a button.
Theres still amazing music out there and on the flip side the Internet can make someone big very quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

The early 90s was a fantastic time for music.
Rave scene, madchester, fantastic uk and American hip hop. All peak times for those respective genres.
I think that streaming killed off the underground exposure and the majority of people now listen to pre selected playlists and like a smaller range of genres and bands.
Severe lack of independent record or cd shops now and tbh there doesn't seem to have been a new youth movement since the rave scene. Possibly because of lack of adversity and having everything instantly and at the touch of a button.
Theres still amazing music out there and on the flip side the Internet can make someone big very quickly.

The rave scene may be the last "new" youth movement, in that it was different to anything that went before... but I'd say that Britpop and the landfill indie era were fairly significant youth cultures, even if the music was fairly derivative. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 2000s in regards to youth culture gave us  emo/scene or w/e you wish to call it. Also Vaporwave in the 2010s.

Edited by GNU_Linux

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

The early 90s was a fantastic time for music.
Rave scene, madchester, fantastic uk and American hip hop. All peak times for those respective genres.
I think that streaming killed off the underground exposure and the majority of people now listen to pre selected playlists and like a smaller range of genres and bands.
Severe lack of independent record or cd shops now and tbh there doesn't seem to have been a new youth movement since the rave scene. Possibly because of lack of adversity and having everything instantly and at the touch of a button.
Theres still amazing music out there and on the flip side the Internet can make someone big very quickly.

1123341775_tenor(7).gif.607ba71985ac562889e2b2db62643277.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...