What has happened to Music for the last 30 years?

JayCrawford

23 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

The early 90s was a fantastic time for music.
Rave scene, madchester, fantastic uk and American hip hop. All peak times for those respective genres.
I think that streaming killed off the underground exposure and the majority of people now listen to pre selected playlists and like a smaller range of genres and bands.
Severe lack of independent record or cd shops now and tbh there doesn't seem to have been a new youth movement since the rave scene. Possibly because of lack of adversity and having everything instantly and at the touch of a button.
Theres still amazing music out there and on the flip side the Internet can make someone big very quickly.

Early 90s was decent and hip hop? You mean 90s rap when every rapper were playing the gangster gimmick and it cost them their lives? 

I mean if you think that's good music then I don't know what to say. 😂

21 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The rave scene may be the last "new" youth movement, in that it was different to anything that went before... but I'd say that Britpop and the landfill indie era were fairly significant youth cultures, even if the music was fairly derivative. 

Ah the shitty Brit pop from untalented bands like Oasis and Blur? No thanks I'd rather have Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and those 70s and 80s bands. At least they were innovative and had talent..

16 hours ago, JayCrawford said:

Oh be quiet you 90s baby 🤣

am i getting this right?  You have come onto the sub section of a Football Discussion website to berate folk for not been born earlier?  I know Lockdown is tough but surely there must be better things to do with your time..?  A w*nk maybe?

On 09/01/2021 at 18:46, GNU_Linux said:

The 2000s in regards to youth culture gave us  emo/scene or w/e you wish to call it. Also Vaporwave in the 2010s.

Emo seemed like a way for people to do fancy dress a bit like a goth while listening to music that was more cheesy pop-punk .

To be fair, that  was probably a lot more fun than doing it the other way round so that shouldn't be taken as a criticism

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Emo seemed like a way for people to do fancy dress a bit like a goth while listening to music that was more cheesy pop-punk .

To be fair, that  was probably a lot more fun than doing it the other way round so that shouldn't be taken as a criticism

I think Emo was probably the first rock subculture that i was too old to care about recognising. Still not very sure what an emo is or what their music is but your definition helps. I do like Emo Phillips but he's the wrong kind of Emo. 

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think Emo was probably the first rock subculture that i was too old to care about recognising. Still not very sure what an emo is or what their music is but your definition helps. I do like Emo Phillips but he's the wrong kind of Emo. 

I'm basically too old for "Emo" as well but it was insanely brilliant compared to Nu-Metal

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

'90's music was shite.'  f**k me.

LOL! Of course you'd say "f**k me" you were born in 1985. You missed out on the 60s, 70s and 80s. 

A perfect example as to why 80s babies who grew up in the 90s take on music will never matter to me. 

I feel really bad that you missed out. You missed out on the golden ages of rock, soul, funk, reggae and pop. You grew up with Spice Girls, shitty gangster rap and Nirvana.