What has happened to Music for the last 30 years?

JayCrawford

Throughout the golden ages of music the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. There was so many amazing music being made every week, there were so many great records and the legends we had then and EVERY genre peaked rock, funk, soul, reggae, country. We had Michael Jackson, Prince, Donna Summer, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Barbara Streisand, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Queen, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, James Brown, Joni Mitchell and so much more musical legends that changed the face of music.

The 90s was when everything went downhill. Teen pop explosion, Europop, eurodance, gangster rap, the decade when R&B music were just sampling older songs and covering older songs, birth of autotune's, rise of the internet, the invasion of pop boy bands and girl bands who were either 1 hit wonders or didn't have talent. No standout golden age for a specific genre happened then which is objectively a fact. 

The 00s, don't get me started on that era. 

The 1990s and 2000s were two terrible decades for music. 

40 minutes ago, JayCrawford said:

Throughout the golden ages of music the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. There was so many amazing music being made every week, there were so many great records and the legends we had then and EVERY genre peaked rock, funk, soul, reggae, country. We had Michael Jackson, Prince, Donna Summer, Stevie Wonder, Dionne Warwick, Barbara Streisand, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Queen, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, James Brown, Joni Mitchell and so much more musical legends that changed the face of music.

The 90s was when everything went downhill. Teen pop explosion, Europop, eurodance, gangster rap, the decade when R&B music were just sampling older songs and covering older songs, birth of autotune's, rise of the internet, the invasion of pop boy bands and girl bands who were either 1 hit wonders or didn't have talent. No standout golden age for a specific genre happened then which is objectively a fact. 

This has literally been going on since the birth of popular music.

There was plenty of good music in the 90s and 2000s... every bit as much as there were in the 70s and 80s.

Go watch an old episode of TOTP on YouTube from the 70s or 80s and find me a non 'best of' single episode that has more than 2 or 3 good songs padded out by utter unknown, unheard of, long forgotten shite.

That's the thing about nostalgia, you only selectively remember the good parts and nothing applies more to that than in music. I'm also guilty of this like everyone else.

16 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

This has literally been going on since the birth of popular music.

There was plenty of good music in the 90s and 2000s... every bit as much as there were in the 70s and 80s.

Go watch an old episode of TOTP on YouTube from the 70s or 80s and find me a non 'best of' single episode that has more than 2 or 3 good songs padded out by utter unknown, unheard of, long forgotten shite.

That's the thing about nostalgia, you only selectively remember the good parts and nothing applies more to that than in music. I'm also guilty of this like everyone else.

I can find plenty of great songs that were on TOTPs throughout the 70s and 80s. 

The 90s and 00s had good music and every bit as much as there were in the 70s and 80s? 

You're seriously not trying convince yourself there right? 

1 minute ago, JayCrawford said:

I can find plenty of great songs that were on TOTPs throughout the 70s and 80s. 

The 90s and 00s had good music and every bit as much as there were in the 70s and 80s? 

You're seriously not trying convince yourself there right? 

"Here, son. Gonny play me some George Formby?"

giphy.gif.3ce9c80a67a0f19a2eca5d8517900a9c.gif

8 hours ago, JayCrawford said:

The 50s was when it all started to go downhill. 

Before then you had proper singers singing proper tunes. You could hear the words and the words made sense. 

That stuff there is all just shouting and noise. Give me a good pipe band anytime.