The Dubai Select XI's U23s vs Hibernian

6 minutes ago, Rammit Bawdeep said:

Think in the right team Turnbull is different gravy, the biggest shortcoming will be if he stays with them and becomes brainwashed like Mcstay Broon et al 

Give it 2 mins and G51 will be on stating how Armstrong was far better than Paul McStay.  

Just now, Rammit Bawdeep said:

Not sure I could see a formation where Turnbull and Christie would work for Scotland (which seems to need a bit tin in the middle). Both fantastic talents though.

Christie's the deputy for Fraser, so it'd look like

Jack - McGregor

Turnbull (for McGinn)

Christie (for Fraser) - Dykes

In our usual 5-2-3/5-2-1-2 formation.

4 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I see you wanted him subbed until he scored with one of only two touches of class in a poor game.  Of course both came from DT.    Thankfully the Celtic manager is on nodding terms with what's *actually* going on.  

There's absolutely no proof to suggest Fleck is good defensively, indeed a quick check to the 'Blades forum' will confirm you're talking pish.   McTominay, Gilmour, Jack are the best defensive midfielders.   

Perhaps you can come out of this with some credit and compare Armstrong v Turnbull over the last few months?    Or you can retreat into the long grass.  

Are you his dad?

I thought he should be subbed because he was blowing out his arse for the last half-hour. As he regularly is, because he isn't getting very good fitness coaching at Celtic. That's not his fault, but it's the reality of the situation. Hitting a great free-kick doesn't disprove that.

The proof that Fleck is good defensively is in his Scotland performances and last year at Sheff Utd. There's no doubting his quality.

You really want to do a comparison of Armstrong, who's produced the goods in the Premier League for a good while now, against Turnbull, who only got into the worst Celtic side in a generation a month ago?

5 minutes ago, G51 said:

Are you his dad?

I thought he should be subbed because he was blowing out his arse for the last half-hour. As he regularly is, because he isn't getting very good fitness coaching at Celtic. That's not his fault, but it's the reality of the situation. Hitting a great free-kick doesn't disprove that.

The proof that Fleck is good defensively is in his Scotland performances and last year at Sheff Utd. There's no doubting his quality.

You really want to do a comparison of Armstrong, who's produced the goods in the Premier League for a good while now, against Turnbull, who only got into the worst Celtic side in a generation a month ago?

You're flawed analysis would have led to a home defeat.   I guess they were delighted they had a interim manager instead of the likes of yourself and your level  involved.  

I'd love you to re-read the last sentence.   Stupidity on stilts.  

Edited by Erih Shtrep

Christie's the deputy for Fraser, so it'd look like

Jack - McGregor

Turnbull (for McGinn)

Christie (for Fraser) - Dykes

In our usual 5-2-3/5-2-1-2 formation.

McGinn has been playing the deeper role for villa through their good spell and has been excellent at it alongside Douglas Luiz, allowing Grealish the advanced role with wide men either side of him.

That for me is his strongest position, in the deeper two as a link man playing beside a destroyer. As much as I'm a fan of McGregor, McGinn is better in that position than he is.

Armstrong plays off the right or left these days for Southampton and I'm a fan of his as well. He rarely, if ever, plays centrally.

Depends on the shape played obviously, but in a 4-2-3-1 there's a place for all the players being discussed in the positions they play for their clubs and leaving a direct choice between Christie and Turnbull at 10.

In 3-5-2 like we've been playing, Armstrong is likely the one who misses out as we lose a wide player with Fraser (the other one) playing off Dykes.

TLDR: there's space in the Scotland team for Turnbull, who looks very good, if both perform the way they have been then at the expense of Christie, who would obviously still be in the squad.

3 minutes ago, Erih Shtrep said:

I think I'd go.  G51.  

1.  Scott McTominey 
2.  John McGinn
3.  Billy Gilmour 
4.  David Turnbull
5. Callum McGregor 
6. Ryan Jack 
7.  Stuart Armstrong 
8.  John Fleck
9.  Barry Bannan 
10.  Kenny Mclean   

@Carnoustie Young Guvnor 

In what formation :) 

I think I'd go.  G51.  

1.  Scott McTominey 
2.  John McGinn
3.  Billy Gilmour 
4.  David Turnbull
5. Callum McGregor 
6. Ryan Jack 
7.  Stuart Armstrong 
8.  John Fleck
9.  Barry Bannan 
10.  Kenny Mclean   

[mention=78729]Carnoustie Young Guvnor[/mention] 

I'd split it down further into the roles. One of the mistakes we've made for years with Scotland is trying to play all our best players at the same time and fitting square pegs into round holes just to get them all in the team.

Sometimes you just need to pick the best at each role.

Also think you're over selling Gilmore just now. Great talent, but you don't end up third in a list after half a dozen games, as promising as those have been.

In order of selection, for me:

6:
- McTominay
- Jack (under rated IMO and this one is close)

8:
- McGinn
- McGregor
- Fleck
- McLean
- Gilmour (he'll jump up with experience)

10:
- Turnbull
- Christie

7/11:
- Fraser
- Armstrong
- Forrest (when fit)

14 minutes ago, gaz5 said:

McGinn has been playing the deeper role for villa through their good spell and has been excellent at it alongside Douglas Luiz, allowing Grealish the advanced role with wide men either side of him.

That for me is his strongest position, in the deeper two as a link man playing beside a destroyer. As much as I'm a fan of McGregor, McGinn is better in that position than he is.

Armstrong plays off the right or left these days for Southampton and I'm a fan of his as well. He rarely, if ever, plays centrally.

Depends on the shape played obviously, but in a 4-2-3-1 there's a place for all the players being discussed in the positions they play for their clubs and leaving a direct choice between Christie and Turnbull at 10.

In 3-5-2 like we've been playing, Armstrong is likely the one who misses out as we lose a wide player with Fraser (the other one) playing off Dykes.

TLDR: there's space in the Scotland team for Turnbull, who looks very good, if both perform the way they have been then at the expense of Christie, who would obviously still be in the squad.

I don't really see us switching to 4-2-3-1, or indeed any other formation except the 5-2-3 because IMO it serves two primary purposes:

1) It gets Tierney and Robertson both in the team, in positions that they're comfortable in

2) It completely hides the worst part of our squad, which is our dogshit centre backs. There's a reason we've been able to put players like Gallagher and Considine in there and make them look like world beaters. It isn't because they've suddenly become international-class CBs, it's because they're only being asked to do what they're good at - header the ball away and when you get the ball, fire it long to a big striker.

When the 5-2-3/5-3-2 first came out, it looked a mess and I think we all thought it was a disaster. But it was a proper stroke of genius from Clarke. We should have just trusted him.

This is probably a conversation for the TA section now.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

Are we all in agreement that Erih Shtrep and Rammit is one guy agreeing with himself?

Yip,

Thought I'd clicked on the "annoying boring b*****d in the pub talking shite" thread for a minute.......

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

I don't really see us switching to 4-2-3-1, or indeed any other formation except the 5-2-3 because IMO it serves two primary purposes:

1) It gets Tierney and Robertson both in the team, in positions that they're comfortable in

2) It completely hides the worst part of our squad, which is our dogshit centre backs. There's a reason we've been able to put players like Gallagher and Considine in there and make them look like world beaters. It isn't because they've suddenly become international-class CBs, it's because they're only being asked to do what they're good at - header the ball away and when you get the ball, fire it long to a big striker.

When the 5-2-3/5-3-2 first came out, it looked a mess and I think we all thought it was a disaster. But it was a proper stroke of genius from Clarke. We should have just trusted him.

This is probably a conversation for the TA section now.

Tartan army threads for this pish.