Widge is Wandering Again

Widge

August 2024

So we head into another season and I'll be honest I had little optimism. I know the goalkeeper and defence are solid as hell, so we'll be relying on them to keep the goals out, as I fear we wont have the attacking quality in the squad to get any higher than mid table. I think realistically top 10 would be good season and one which I think would please the board and have my stock raise high enough to grab a decent job somewhere else. 

English Championship

image.thumb.png.c4fcdef36fa6e0119e9b53380d8e0294.png

So more wins in 4 games than the team managed in 19 last season!

Most pleasing though is the number of clean sheets, 4 in 7 games is an excellent return for the defence and was exactly as how I'd imagined we'd be. Luckily we also seem to be capable of scoring goals so far. Annoyingly Brewster got injured during the Brentford game and as a result is missing for 6-8 weeks. However Tyler Roberts has stepped into his shoes nicely and picked up 4 goals in the 4 remaining games of the month. Brentford we totally deserved to lose, Blackburn we definitely didn't. Roberts decided to have an off day and we lost due to an absolute screamer and a good change of formation from them.

Table looks like this..

image.png.09b6d6a74b14aaa9e4525c0eb8644b87.png

I'm only going to show the half of the table that we're in, otherwise it'll be far too long. Can't complain with where we're at and the only 2 teams to beat us in the league so far sit in 1st and 3rd, which must be a good sign.

English League Cup

image.thumb.png.79ced893bf54ff24c828a2a081ae8265.png

Got through the easy first round with a second string team and some debuts.

Never had a chance against Leeds, when their front line contained Ousmane Dembele who's on £155k/week!

Also signed Florian Balogun from Arsenal for £215k when Brewster got injured as backup and a bit of a project. Typically he injured himself in his first reserve game and was out for 3 weeks. Still it's all going a little too smoothly so far, something is bound to go wrong that's for sure. 

September - October 2024

So we'd started the season in good form and our defence is looking mean to say the least, I think the biggest issue is going to be a lack of goals and probably a lack of decent depth. I've got enough players in my squad to see me through the season, but when some of my starting XI are only 3 star rated, that kind of tells you all you'd need to know about the backup which I have at my disposal. On the plus side, it's only league games at the moment since we're out the League Cup.

I was thinking as we played these games, I'm not sure I'd want to get promoted. This though keeps crossing my mind, as I know deep down if we ever make the top flight, we'd get utterly rinsed and destroyed every game. My team doesn't come close to touching even the best teams in this league, let along the Premier League. 

English Championship

image.thumb.png.c713aa3533d4f63abb1da9b5530c8512.png

So just the one lose in there, ironically to last place Sheffield Wednesday. We were absolutely awful.

Best game of the month was either the total domination against a very very expensive Aston Villa team (who turned me down in the summer) or the comeback victory against a very good Crystal Palace. Props to Gylfi Sigurdsson for pinging in a 20 yard swerver to win us the points in that game.

As expected we're miserly at the back, we don't give very much up at all. However, we're having real issues scoring. Hopefully the fact that Brewster and Mowatt are finally fit can help us, although Gylfi is rolling back the years with all 6 of his pace and is very, very good when he's got bodies running off of him.

image.png.51787df9bf8b662f09855b8b2208a234.png

Again I'm only going to show the half which we're in. Sitting in the playoffs right now. Don't expect it to last, we're bound to hit a bump in the road. That being said the majority of teams in this league play a 5-3-2/5-2-3 variant for some unbeknown reason to me and my simply 4-3-2-1 seems to work pretty well against them as we're not over ran in midfield and it leaves our wingers high in space when the fullbacks push on. We're strong enough defensively that our fullbacks handle the wing backs and our centrebacks are a pair of pacy monsters who lose next to nothing at all.