Turning off social media........and Covid

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

If you use social media correctly then it's been essential during the pandemic.  I have learned more from many armchair virologists than I would using any other medium.

It'd be interesting to see how the British government would react if thre was a major terrorist attack or we were in a war.  The last major conventional conflict was the invasion of Iraq in 2003 which was well before social media was so widespread, even internet usage was far less common then.  If the UK invaded another country now I'd bet that there would be significant restrictions, either tacit or openly.  I'm sure that troops would be briefed about this - there have been instances of breaches in operational security due to social media usage.  Russian troops were traced to Ukraine by their social media check ins and US Special Forces personnel exposed several secret middle eastern bases by using Strava to track their runs.

Without the technology enabling things, such as, social media. The pandemic would have been over in two months

Everyone would have gone about their business as usual having no choice

Scrolled down that Richard Grannon’s feed and, well, it looks like we’ve found our replacement for Jordan Peterson once Mikhaela finishes the job.

IMG_5318.thumb.jpg.c6d773164e37b41e8e449d56c19c7eb1.jpg
No idea about his views on that but he came up on youtube when looking up social media. As said that seems like a quote and maybe not necessarily his view.
His main topics seem to be on narcissism and doesn't come across as a crackpot to me.
Youtube can be really toxic as well. The comments are mental.

There was a live feed on Facebook that I inadvertedly caught hold of, basically howling at the moon about Covid for 30 minutes and how the hospitals are actually all empty etc, imploring everyone to take to the streets. 

The scary thing was the hundreds of folk agreeing with him and egging him on. Is there really a significant number of people out there that think that this pandemic is a massive hoax?? 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

33 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

There was a live feed on Facebook that I inanvertedly caught hold of, basically howling at the about Covid for 30 minutes and how the hospitals are actually all empty etc, imploring everyone to take to the streets. 

The scary thing was the hundreds of folk agreeing with him and egging him on. Is there really a significant number of people out there that think that this pandemic is a massive hoax? 

We will probably find out on Saturday as there is an anti lockdown protest, I'm betting the numbers will be less than 100

6 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I think Manchester was quite a major terrorist attack tbf. 

Im also sure there would be plenty armchair strategists and “soldiers” telling a us how things are going in the event of an invasion.

Users would all get military ranks. Captain Mullarkey, Private throbber, Field Marshallmallo etc. 

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

That's a fair point.  I was meaning if there was a multiple attack, like the July 7th bombings or September 11th with multiple major casualty attacks.  If there was a series of suicide bombings in London I'd imagine that turning off social media might be something considered.  Who knows what would really happen though.

They blocked phone signals at the time around London 7/7 so I’m sure there would be some such plans. Not sure if that was to stop the spread of misinformation or to hamper attacks (ie to hamper any coordinated attacks, phone activated bombs etc). 

Watch the Social Dilemma on Netflix its a good watch and an eyeopener even the CEOs of instagram and youtube were getting addicted to it.  During the civil unrest in iraq at the current time there is internet outages or they cut the internet for the whole country only access for your internet is if your a company with a VSAT downlink in another country other than iraq.  They usually cut all social media Skype, Facebook etc to prevent them from organising any more unrest in an attempt disrupt it if you have a VPN then you can get round it.  UAE and most middle eastern countries if you buy any apple product they dont have Facetime.

12 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

They blocked phone signals at the time around London 7/7 so I’m sure there would be some such plans. Not sure if that was to stop the spread of misinformation or to hamper attacks (ie to hamper any coordinated attacks, phone activated bombs etc). 

Standard procedure in a major incident to block all but essential mobile traffic over the affected cells. It's called MTPAS. Primarily it's to ensure that communication channels for the emergency services remain open.

Another reason in a terrorist situation is to reduce the risk of secondary explosive devices being activated remotely.

29 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Standard procedure in a major incident to block all but essential mobile traffic over the affected cells. It's called MTPAS. Primarily it's to ensure that communication channels for the emergency services remain open.

Another reason in a terrorist situation is to reduce the risk of secondary explosive devices being activated remotely.

Nice one - didn’t think I’d imagined that. Asda do a similar thing to force you to use their WiFi. 

• 1 year later...

I deleted Facebook a few years ago as I would find myself arguing with old friends after they posted something I didn’t agree with. I left thinking “w****r” whereas face to face we’d have agreed to disagree and probably had a wee hug.
I know I’m missing the OP’s point but my point is that it’s a whole different literary skill to properly understand social media posts. Irony and context are so often misunderstood that I wouldn’t trust anyone at the heart of our government to begin to grasp a sense of humour.

36 minutes ago, Tony Ferrino said:

I deleted Facebook a few years ago as I would find myself arguing with old friends after they posted something I didn’t agree with. I left thinking “w****r” whereas face to face we’d have agreed to disagree and probably had a wee hug.

I only joined Facebook 8 months ago. Today I had a dispute with friends about bread.

They were wrong obviously.