Season a write off?

BBC Report says: Some League One and League Two clubs still have 19 fixtures of their 27-game campaign to complete, and would face the prospect of playing every Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday for a spell to catch up.

Why cant we just extend the season until the middle of June, right before the Euros start?  All players contracts will be until June 30th so are covered.

Try to finish league fixtures on 29/30 May weekend,  then two weeks for the play-offs start of June?

8 hours ago, Tenkay said:

BBC Report says: Some League One and League Two clubs still have 19 fixtures of their 27-game campaign to complete, and would face the prospect of playing every Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday for a spell to catch up.

Why cant we just extend the season until the middle of June, right before the Euros start?  All players contracts will be until June 30th so are covered.

Try to finish league fixtures on 29/30 May weekend,  then two weeks for the play-offs start of June?

The Premiership needs to be completed as scheduled because of the Euros - players have to be released weeks in advance rather than for the start of the tournament - and the Championship needs to finish at the same time as the Premiership for their playoffs to take place, meaning that League One also has to finish at the same time as the Championship for the playoffs to take place.

I get that clubs have sat twiddling their thumbs for weeks just now but at least that's all clubs in the same division so in any restart you've got a level playing field with everyone in League 1 & 2 having the time off and the same need to build match sharpness up. If you have playoffs taking place when one of the sides involved has had a month off and all the others are still playing, that club is at a massive disadvantage. You could have a delay of a couple of weeks, but delaying the playoffs by a month or more just isn't going to work.

Not sure about contracts running to 30th June either. I can't speak for other clubs but I know Morton players' contracts last season all ran until the day the transfer window opened rather than the end of June.

If morton are in the relegation play offs and have a wait they can play friendlies with a c Milan or Barcelona (I hear they are short of cash). Failing that they can go on a training camp to the gulf states. That might help their players get used to conditions for the next world cup

Edited by true fan

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

The Premiership needs to be completed as scheduled because of the Euros - players have to be released weeks in advance rather than for the start of the tournament - and the Championship needs to finish at the same time as the Premiership for their playoffs to take place, meaning that League One also has to finish at the same time as the Championship for the playoffs to take place.

I get that clubs have sat twiddling their thumbs for weeks just now but at least that's all clubs in the same division so in any restart you've got a level playing field with everyone in League 1 & 2 having the time off and the same need to build match sharpness up. If you have playoffs taking place when one of the sides involved has had a month off and all the others are still playing, that club is at a massive disadvantage. You could have a delay of a couple of weeks, but delaying the playoffs by a month or more just isn't going to work.

Not sure about contracts running to 30th June either. I can't speak for other clubs but I know Morton players' contracts last season all ran until the day the transfer window opened rather than the end of June.

Technically you could have the Championship finish on time and just delay the league 1 and league 2 playoffs, meaning that only the 9th placed club in the Championship is having to play on the delay. Not sure that would fly though. Might need to just scrap the playoffs and do 1 up 1 down.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

Technically you could have the Championship finish on time and just delay the league 1 and league 2 playoffs, meaning that only the 9th placed club in the Championship is having to play on the delay. Not sure that would fly though. Might need to just scrap the playoffs and do 1 up 1 down

Would be very surprised if the Championship would agree to delayed play offs

17 hours ago, Spider Rico said:

I tend to switch off whoever I hear his voice now but noticed these comments today. Nothing definitive of course 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56224104

8 teams in each league required to vote for a reduced number of fixtures

He's not much of a driver, either.

A white hot hatch with LEITCH reg plate blasted by me near Holyrood one lunchtime a few months back. Gave me a real fright, so he did.

Obviously late for the daily briefing.

2 hours ago, ecto said:

Would be very surprised if the Championship would agree to delayed play offs

Did league 1 and 2 agree to being shut down? What’s this “agree” crap you are coming out with?

sorry if the delay gets in the way of Arbroath preparing for the world club championship of course

Edited by true fan

6 hours ago, true fan said:
Did league 1 and 2 agree to being shut down? What’s this “agree” crap you are coming out with?
sorry if the delay gets in the way of Arbroath preparing for the world club championship of course

The play-offs are already scheduled and it is up to Leagues 1 and 2 to complete their season in time to compete in them. If the clubs want to delay the play-offs then they will have to get the teams in the division above to agree, otherwise the previously scheduled dates remain.

Edited by craigkillie

I think it would be a matter for the spfl to decide, not relying on the noblesse oblige of a single tinpot championship club, whichever one it ends up being in 2nd bottom spot. Similarly we have heard that “the championship won’t allow” leagues 1 and 2 to play an 18 game season. As we all know no rules were put into place for the very situation we find ourselves in. Sorry to inform you but the championship are not the Supreme Court 

if it’s “up to leagues 1 and 2 to finish their season” let’s start next Saturday. Is that okay with the United Nations, sorry I mean the championship. Asking you as their spokesperson

Edited by true fan

8 minutes ago, true fan said:

I think it would be a matter for the spfl to decide, not relying on the noblesse oblige of a single tinpot championship club, whichever one it ends up being in 2nd bottom spot. Similarly we have heard that “the championship won’t allow” leagues 1 and 2 to play an 18 game season. As we all know no rules were put into place for the very situation we find ourselves in. Sorry to inform you but the championship are not the Supreme Court 

if it’s “up to leagues 1 and 2 to finish their season” let’s start next Saturday. Is that okay with the United Nations, sorry I mean the championship

I see you edited that. I'd love to see the version that didn't make it.

34 minutes ago, true fan said:

if it’s “up to leagues 1 and 2 to finish their season” let’s start next Saturday. Is that okay with the United Nations, sorry I mean the championship. Asking you as their spokesperson

Yes, exactly, granting an extension to the season would be decided by the SPFL by means of a resolution which would be voted on by all of the clubs. If the resolution failed then there would be no extension granted. The SPFL board does not have the authority to make this type of decision because the clubs voted down a resolution which would have allowed them to do so.

Leagues 1 and 2 are currently not being permitted to play by the Scottish government and therefore all of their scheduled matches are being postponed. If there is no successful resolution to reduce the season length or to extend the season then all of those rescheduled matches will have to be completed before the scheduled data for the play-offs. This is what was agreed upon by the clubs at the start of the season.

Edited by craigkillie