Season a write off?

League 1 & 2 clubs are trying their best to get the season finished by cramming fixtures into a tight schedule. So bottom of League 2 will deserve to be in a play off spot. However no team deserves a play off spot after only 3 games. That's mental. I'm all for the pyramid  but not like this.

3 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

League 1 & 2 clubs are trying their best to get the season finished by cramming fixtures into a tight schedule. So bottom of League 2 will deserve to be in a play off spot. However no team deserves a play off spot after only 3 games. That's mental. I'm all for the pyramid  but not like this.

They are not in the play-off because of 3 games, they are there because they are reigning champions and it's the only way to put forward a HL club into the pyramid play-off.

17 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

13 times Brechin City have been the worst team in the Scottish League structure in 81 seasons (not including this year), their day of reckoning is long overdue.

tick tock tick tock

Great stat.  When was the last time before last season?

They are not in the play-off because of 3 games, they are there because they are reigning champions and it's the only way to put forward a HL club into the pyramid play-off.

Eh. Not quite correct. They were awarded the title on a points per game for this season. Nothing to do with last season. They got awarded the title due to a better goal difference.

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Just have to see how it all pans out.  Hopefully we can avoid bottom spot , but even if we do, I wouldn't put it past   some to demand  that we are punished in some way  as that is how ridiculous the scenarios are becoming . 

theoriginalhedge, Don't think anyone should be punished, if any league is officially finished and a team finishes bottom then rightly so they will be relegated or at least in a playoff to avoid the drop.

In the current design of the Scottish Pyramid System, the team finishing bottom of the SPFL2 goes into a playoff but in reality I personally think it should be more, right now though, hmm not so sure.  All the teams in the SPFL have to realize, if it will be very hard to get out of the HL and LL if relegated, so the more promotion spaces available is helpful as a better chance of coming back up as in the years to come, I don't see any SPFL2 , if relegated coming straight back up in the current, promotion/relegation system because below the strength of teams is very high and more will be promoted up to the Lowland League in years to come from the EOSFL and the WOSFL and think there will eventually should be at least a straight forward relegation and a 2nd bottom place relegation playoff in place when most come to the same conclusion.

1 hour ago, Junior Pub League said:

13 times Brechin City have been the worst team in the Scottish League structure in 81 seasons (not including this year), their day of reckoning is long overdue.

tick tock tick tock

Wow, somebody from the SPL caring about the lower leagues. How nice.

59 minutes ago, onecowden said:

Eh. Not quite correct. They were awarded the title on a points per game for this season. Nothing to do with last season. They got awarded the title due to a better goal difference.

I believe you are correct, yeah I don't like this winning league after only 3 games, leaves a bad taste in the mouth, another league looking after themselves lol

But will say a couple of things, the HL can vote their league to go any way they see fit as long as all the other members have voted on it.
Even if the HL decided not to put anyone forward because of ONLY 3 Games, the Lowland league have put forward the correct winner due to the percentage of games, think they played 13 games so if anything the LL could put someone forward and if no acceptable champion came from the Highland league then the LL winners would go straight to the Playoff against the bottom placed SPFL 2 team

26 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

theoriginalhedge, Don't think anyone should be punished, if any league is officially finished and a team finishes bottom then rightly so they will be relegated or at least in a playoff to avoid the drop.

In the current design of the Scottish Pyramid System, the team finishing bottom of the SPFL2 goes into a playoff but in reality I personally think it should be more, right now though, hmm not so sure.  All the teams in the SPFL have to realize, if it will be very hard to get out of the HL and LL if relegated, so the more promotion spaces available is helpful as a better chance of coming back up as in the years to come, I don't see any SPFL2 , if relegated coming straight back up in the current, promotion/relegation system because below the strength of teams is very high and more will be promoted up to the Lowland League in years to come from the EOSFL and the WOSFL and think there will eventually should be at least a straight forward relegation and a 2nd bottom place relegation playoff in place when most come to the same conclusion.

I was being  sarcastic and pedantic after all the shite levelled at our club last season. 

I am well aware of the pyramid system and how it operates . I agree that straight relegation for team 42 might be a better option but as things stand it is a play off position .

Maybe try and educate some of the media goons , pundits ,  uninformed managers and chairmen of these facts so that they don't drag any more SPFL clubs through the gutter in the future . 

2 hours ago, charlie king mvp said:

Great stat.  When was the last time before last season?

Never mind bottom spot, last season was the first time we'd been in the fourth tier in 19 years.  Finished two places behind Accies the season before that.

16 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Beyond ludicrous.

But that's what everyone wants by all accounts . Brechin to get their "just rewards" for having the audacity of ending up as team 42  ..............after 19 years out of the bottom division. ................Bizarre. 

Nobody in the media have batted an eyelid .  It's obviously all perfectly normal practice in their eyes. 

16 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Beyond ludicrous.

I disagree 

21 hours ago, onecowden said:

They were awarded the title on a points per game for this season. Nothing to do with last season. They got awarded the title due to a better goal difference.

Factually correct, but...

21 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I agree.

22 hours ago, Mick1867 said:

no team deserves a play off spot after only 3 games. That's mental. I'm all for the pyramid  but not like this.

Brora were denied the chance of a playoff that they had earned from 24 victories out of 26 games last season. For every bit you (understandably) think it's unfair to earn a playoff from only 3 games, you must agree it's also unfair to not get a chance of a playoff when being clear leaders after 26 games in a curtailed season, especially when teams deemed Champions higher up the pyramid were awarded promotions.

Of course there is no guarantee that Brora or Kelty would have came up last season, and there is no guarantee they will now. Also, after having watched a much improved Brechin against Stranraer, I'd say there is absolutely no guarantee Brechin will even be in the playoff this season never mind lose it.

13 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

But that's what everyone wants by all accounts . Brechin to get their "just rewards" for having the audacity of ending up as team 42  ..............after 19 years out of the bottom division. ................Bizarre. 

Nobody in the media have batted an eyelid .  It's obviously all perfectly normal practice in their eyes. 

The previous 18 years are irrelevant - if you finish bottom you deserve to go down, and if you finish bottom two years in a row then you definitely do.

If Killie finish bottom this season, do you think we can just argue "ah, but we've not been out of the top flight for 28 years" and folk will say "ok, let's scrap relegation just this once"?

50 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Honestly I haven't got a clue what's going on here, I'm definitely missing something.

I'm not against Brechin or for them, same with nearly every team in Scottish Football.
I admit I was not enamored with the chairman's comments about the relegation last year but the same view of the chairmen of Stenny etc.. I felt they were just saying things to avoid relegation and by the way, I get that.

but the crutch at the moment is:
If a team finishes bottom of each division then they should be expected to be relegated or enter a relegation playoff. It should happen to any team in Scottish Football who finishes in a relegation place. The SPFL2 should be finished but there are a couple of methods for this to happen. Whoever the team are that finishes bottom then they deserve to be in the Playoff.  Brechin still have  a chance to NOT be that team in the playoff so they should just get it sorted and avoid it before the end of the season .

I will add again, in the future I expect there to be a straight relegation from the SPFL2 and the 2nd bottom in a playoff with the HL and LL at the very least

Example
SPFL 2 team 42 relegated to their area, (HL or LL)
Champions of HL and LL playoff to see who is promoted to SPFL 2
The 2nd bottom of SPFL2 face the losers of the HL/LL playoff to see who gets the final spot in the SPFL2

The standard now in the LL and HL and leagues below is very high so it add to excitement and interest to Scottish Football.

One thing I will say, Every Teams history has nothing to do with the here and now. Again if they finish in the relegation spot then deservedly they have to deal with it and the implications

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread
Adding Last Section

If we take the PPG from the last three seasons of the Highland League and two seasons for the Lowland League,( which is done in Argentina for Relegation iirc) we'll get a familiar picture.

Spoiler

2018-19 - Full Season
HL (34 games) - Cove 93pts, Brora 85, Fraserburgh 79pts, Formatine 72pts Inverurie 66pts;
LL (no Bonnyrigg)

2019-20:
HL - Brora (26) 72pts, Fraserburgh (23) 55pts, Rothes (23) 53pts, Buckie Thistle (24) 53pts, Inverurie (28) 59pts
LL - Kelty (25) 68pts, Bonnyrigg Rose (24) 62pts, BSC Glasgow (22) 51pts

2020-21:
HL - Brora (3) 9pts, Fraserburgh (3) 9pts, Buckie (2) 6pts, Formartine (2) 6pts, Inverurie (2) 6pts
LL - Kelty (13) 36pts, East Kilibride (12) 29pts, Bonnyrigg Rose (12) 29pts, BSC Glasgow (13) 30pts

Total PPG over 3 seasons: (excluding Cove)

Highland League 

1. Brora Rangers Pld 63 166pts PPG - 2.634.
2. Fraserburgh Pld 60 135pts PPG - 2.25
3. Formatine United Pld 59 122pts PPG - 2.06
4. Inverurie Loco Works Pld 64 131pts PPG - 2.046

Lowland League (last two seasons)

1. Kelty Hearts Pld 38 104pts PPG - 2.73
2. Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic Pld 36 91pts PPG - 2.53
3. BSC Glasgow Pld 35 81pts PPG - 2.31

So we've got the correct sides in the playoff. The Lowland League numbers are a bit skewed going back three seasons as there was no Bonnyrigg in 2018-19.

Edited by ArabAuslander

48 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The previous 18 years are irrelevant - if you finish bottom you deserve to go down, and if you finish bottom two years in a row then you definitely do.

If Killie finish bottom this season, do you think we can just argue "ah, but we've not been out of the top flight for 28 years" and folk will say "ok, let's scrap relegation just this once"?

Surely you mean we deserve the chance of a play off ? 

2 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Honestly I haven't got a clue what's going on here, I'm definitely missing something.

I'm not against Brechin or for them, same with nearly every team in Scottish Football.
I admit I was not enamored with the chairman's comments about the relegation last year but the same view of the chairmen of Stenny etc.. I felt they were just saying things to avoid relegation and by the way, I get that.

but the crutch at the moment is:
If a team finishes bottom of each division then they should be expected to be relegated or enter a relegation playoff. It should happen to any team in Scottish Football who finishes in a relegation place. The SPFL2 should be finished but there are a couple of methods for this to happen. Whoever the team are that finishes bottom then they deserve to be in the Playoff.  Brechin still have  a chance to NOT be that team in the playoff so they should just get it sorted and avoid it before the end of the season .

I will add again, in the future I expect there to be a straight relegation from the SPFL2 and the 2nd bottom in a playoff with the HL and LL at the very least

Example
SPFL 2 team 42 relegated to their area, (HL or LL)
Champions of HL and LL playoff to see who is promoted to SPFL 2
The 2nd bottom of SPFL2 face the losers of the HL/LL playoff to see who gets the final spot in the SPFL2

The standard now in the LL and HL and leagues below is very high so it add to excitement and interest to Scottish Football.

One thing I will say, Every Teams history has nothing to do with the here and now. Again if they finish in the relegation spot then deservedly they have to deal with it and the implications

My gripe is the assumption that for some reason Brechin should have been automatically relegated last season despite them being in a play off position  and the impracticality of play offs being  able to be completed due to the uncertainty at the time . Plus the fact that the whole of Scottish football was shut down then too .     Solely that.     I have no gripe with the process that the LL and HL came about appointing their candidates  ( calling them champions is a bit of a stretch)  for the play offs.  I don't, however,  hide my astonishment at their decision. 

The derogatory comments made by media , pundits and other clubs based on rumour and heresay were uncalled for at the time and still get brought up by ill- informed people as a matter of fact now. 

I will have no problem with a play off  this time round if our club finishes bottom as football has resumed at our level for the purpose of avoiding the nul and void scenario. 

It's not perfect but it resolves a tricky situation.