Season a write off?

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I've struggled to decipher this post, but have assumed that "game 36 per the original fixture list" actually refers to game 27 scheduled for 1st May.

Assuming this is what you mean, there are actually only 7 Saturdays between the scheduled restart date and the end of the season (20th March, 27th March, 3rd April, 10th April, 17th April, 24th April, 1st May). However, three of those Saturdays are Scottish Cup dates - alright, probably no more than one club at a push would be playing in the QF on 24th April, but several will be playing in R3 on 3rd April and probably at least a couple in R4 on 17th April.

Some teams in L1/L2 would still have 13 or 14 fixtures left to play under a 22 game schedule. A run to the Scottish Cup quarter-finals for any of these clubs would mean they only had 4 weekend league games and would have to play 9 or 10 midweek fixtures across the 6 midweeks left in the season. Even without any covid postponements that would be quite an undertaking.

I said fixtures, not Saturdays. There’s a full card scheduled for Tuesday April 20th. Again, all clubs have signed up to this and it’s starting on the 20th. You must be gutted they’ve gone ahead without your profound ifs, buts and mibbees. I work on facts, not pompous-arsehole assumptions.

I’m never impressed by posters with 13k plus posts. If you’ve nothing decent in your life don’t interrupt mine. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I said fixtures, not Saturdays. There’s a full card scheduled for Tuesday April 20th. Again, all clubs have signed up to this and it’s starting on the 20th. You must be gutted they’ve gone ahead without your profound ifs, buts and mibbees. I work on facts, not pompous-arsehole assumptions.

I’m never impressed by posters with 13k plus posts. If you’ve nothing decent in your life don’t interrupt mine. 

What a fucking pathetic meltdown to have.

They haven't "gone ahead" with their plan yet though, have they? The lower leagues will start on 20th March, that's the only thing we know for sure right now. We still don't know how many games will be played or when the season will finish.

The entire point of your original post was to complain that the SPFL had raised concerns about the clubs' plans, precisely for the reasons that I outlined. So in fact my "profound ifs, buts and mibbees" are front and centre of the whole debate about how many games will be played and how the season will end. Everything I said is factual, there's not a single assumption in there.

7 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Queens Park have changed since they went professional!

I see that Bonnyrigg Rose have a link to a Sunday Times article which some may choke on, especially those who want to scotch organised outdoor activities. Let's see what the SG and its' hard core Medical Advisers have to say about this.

Below is the intro extract but the headline is damning:

Experts find no evidence that Covid transmitted on field | Sport | The Sunday Times (thetimes.co.uk)

Experts find no evidence that Covid transmitted on field

Martyn Ziegler

Sunday March 07 2021, 12.01am, The Sunday Times

Not a single case of on-the-field transmission of the Covid-19 virus has been confirmed in football, rugby union, rugby league or American football during a full year of the pandemic, medical experts have revealed.

Detailed tracing of players who have tested positive for the virus has been carried out in all the sports but in every case the transmission was put down to off-the-field contact, such as in meeting rooms, cars and indoor activities.

The sports’ findings should provide a strong argument that outdoor community and elite sports can be played with minimal risk to the participants — and perhaps that grassroots and women’s rugby union can return without the need for the adapted rules that have banned scrums and mauls.

First Minister saying that lifting lockdown might be delayed by the vile and idiotic behaviour of Rangers* fans over the weekend.  Let’s hope that we don’t find that this delays restarting at our level as that would effectively kill the season. 

2 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

First Minister saying that lifting lockdown might be delayed by the vile and idiotic behaviour of Rangers* fans over the weekend.  Let’s hope that we don’t find that this delays restarting at our level as that would effectively kill the season. 

Well someone needs to be punished and it will certainly not be them. It's time the police enforced the law. In my view there should be an announcement that any large group breaking the Covid restrictions will be cleared by the use of water cannon.

16 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Well someone needs to be punished and it will certainly not be them. It's time the police enforced the law. In my view there should be an announcement that any large group breaking the Covid restrictions will be cleared by the use of water cannon.

Are we the only country in the world that doesn't have tear gas or water cannons? If the illegal gatherings are a threat to public health then they should have been broken up.

Tutting on Twitter isn't any deterrent!

33 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Are we the only country in the world that doesn't have tear gas or water cannons? If the illegal gatherings are a threat to public health then they should have been broken up.

Tutting on Twitter isn't any deterrent!

Arrests, fines and imprisonment. 

3 hours ago, spiders4ever said:

I agree but sadly, being in a namby pamby society the UK has sold all its water cannons. However the use of horses and dogs would have been effective. I am disgusted with the Scottish Police being told basically not to act like policemen because it might upset some sensitive little piece of scum.

14 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Bruce Forsyth Tv Times GIF - BruceForsyth TvTimes Neilsmiles - Descubre &  Comparte GIFs

3 hours ago, williebraveheart said:

I agree but sadly, being in a namby pamby society the UK has sold all its water cannons. However the use of horses and dogs would have been effective. I am disgusted with the Scottish Police being told basically not to act like policemen because it might upset some sensitive little piece of scum.

Strathclyde's finest were quoted as saying they found themselves in a difficult situation at both Saturday and Sunday gatherings.  

Just wondering what the difficulty was ? 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

2 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Strathclyde's finest were quoted as saying they found themselves in a difficult situation at both Saturday and Sunday gatherings.  

Just wondering what the difficulty was ? 

They couldn't get off shift to officially join in.

On 07/03/2021 at 12:41, craigkillie said:

Assuming every club is roughly equal in ability, a League 1 side will be promoted under the current system 75% of the time.

Changing it to just 9th v 2nd would reduce that to 50%.

Ah but any individual League 1 team has only a 1 in 4 or 25 per cent chance of being promoted under the current system.

That would rise to a 1 in 2 or 50 per cent chance of any individual League 1 team  being promoted if clubs opted for 9th in Championship v 2nd in League 1 as the playoff. The same would apply for promotion in playoffs between leagues 1 and 2.

And shorter playoffs would reduce fixture congestion.

I'm not in favour of the proposed split and think they should just pick up where they left off with the fixtures list and play on a Saturday Tuesday basis to fit in as many of the original fixtures list as is sensibly possible.

By pushing back the playoff date and shortening the playoffs to give additional league matchdays.

And using points per game as the Plan B contingency to resolve imbalances in final totals of games played.

13 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

They don't need to know that for at least the next six or seven weeks. What is important is who we play next week.

So go into the rest of the season, playing games back to back, with no idea of when the season is planned to end?

Not having a plan/structure in place at the start of the season created this mess.  If both sides can't reach an agreement what happens then?

38 minutes ago, theboke said:

Ah but any individual League 1 team has only a 1 in 4 or 25 per cent chance of being promoted under the current system.

That would rise to a 1 in 2 or 50 per cent chance of any individual League 1 team  being promoted if clubs opted for 9th in Championship v 2nd in League 1 as the playoff. The same would apply for promotion in playoffs between leagues 1 and 2.

And shorter playoffs would reduce fixture congestion.

This is absolute nonsense. The probability for the 2nd placed side increases, but it does so at the expense of the probabilities of the other clubs in the league. The probability of Montrose being promoted if they finish 4th under the current system is 25%, but that would drop to 0% if it was 9th v 2nd. The probability of a League 1 team being promoted decreases from 75% to 50%, which is what should matter to the league as a collective.

35 minutes ago, williebraveheart said:

They don't need to know that for at least the next six or seven weeks. What is important is who we play next week.

They need to know that straight away, because if it's a 22 or 27 game season they need to schedule midweek games straight away to fit all the fixtures in.