Season a write off?

2 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Can you explain what you mean by that ?  Or is it just made up in your own head ? 

Previous posts from Brechin supporters appear to have any number of excuses for not wanting to start the season. I thought with your new signings you would be chomping at the bit to get started and fly up the league. 

1 hour ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Previous posts from Brechin supporters appear to have any number of excuses for not wanting to start the season. I thought with your new signings you would be chomping at the bit to get started and fly up the league. 

I think we've all indicated that we'd like to have the chance to get out of the mire on our own . You mistake "excuses"  for potential difficulties to be overcome by most part time clubs not just Brechin. 

On 05/03/2021 at 05:36, EdinburghBlue said:

Still unclear whether we will play 18 or 22 games according to report in today’s Record.

C6B344EA-417B-4554-984C-23DC2A9C76FB.thumb.jpeg.cf056d4f84f0abc85f525d8e4c1a9f41.jpeg

Looks like, in order to approve  the 22 game option, all that the SPFL board want from League One and League Two clubs is consensus on a method of deciding how to deal with clubs who cannot complete 22 games.

Therefore, the clubs only need to assure the SPFL board that points per game will be used in such a scenario for the SPFL board to give the 22 game with split proposal their approval. 

34 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

FFS Just get on with it!

If negative tests occur then let's deal with it when it happens. I assume all 20 teams have been tested by now before training begins. How many negatives? If none or close to zero then stop the dithering and get the season restarted!

You mean positive tests right?

The other way to do it would be to seek the agreement of Championship clubs to reduce the playoffs to just 9th v 2nd, because this would save a couple of fixture dates and the split more or less gives head2head playoff matches anyway.

Can't see Championship clubs refusing fewer playoff games for their 9th place team, as it would be less risky for them than having to go through the usual 2 ties.

So - 22 games with split, push back the playoffs to give leeway for fixtures, and only have 9th v 2nd playoff finals since the split sorts out the best playoff candidate anyway.

11 minutes ago, St-ow! said:

The other way to do it would be to seek the agreement of Championship clubs to reduce the playoffs to just 9th v 2nd, because this would save a couple of fixture dates and the split more or less gives head2head playoff matches anyway.

Can't see Championship clubs refusing fewer playoff games for their 9th place team, as it would be less risky for them than having to go through the usual 2 ties.

So - 22 games with split, push back the playoffs to give leeway for fixtures, and only have 9th v 2nd playoff finals since the split sorts out the best playoff candidate anyway.

Why would the League 1 clubs reduce their chances of promotion?

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why would the League 1 clubs reduce their chances of promotion?

👇

5 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

In effect the extra games are the play offs otherwise you have the top 4 give or take playing each other again.

👌

7 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

In effect the extra games are the play offs otherwise you have the top 4 give or take playing each other again.

In this case there would be a split, then the play offs with the team finishing 55th dropping out. Am I getting that right?

Maths isn’t my strong point. All I’m trying to say is that with the concern of fitting in 22 games in time for playoffs don’t really see the point in having a split and the promotion candidates in particular all playing each other in a mini league and then going into a knock out tourney with 3 of the 5 teams. Seems unnecessary to me!

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In this case there would be a split, then the play offs with the team finishing 55th dropping out. Am I getting that right?

Think so.

All 5 teams would be involved in the head2head matches (that are effectively playoffs) but maybe you'd want the team in 5th at the split sitting out the final matchday (with an odd number of teams in each mini league of 5 after the split, 1 team has to sit out each matchday) because they would be least likely to be involved in the battle for 1st (automatic promotion) and 2nd (playoff v 9th from division above).

Not sure what they're actually proposing, though.

Edited by St-ow!
Blah

Assuming every club is roughly equal in ability, a League 1 side will be promoted under the current system 75% of the time.

Changing it to just 9th v 2nd would reduce that to 50%.

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Assuming every club is roughly equal in ability, a League 1 side will be promoted under the current system 75% of the time.

Changing it to just 9th v 2nd would reduce that to 50%.

It would be a 75% chance in a head to head this season though unless Alloa surge out of the bottom spot.  

20 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

Hopefully the Scottish Government and the SFA won't hammer us for all those senseless idiots that have been outside Ibrox this afternoon!

Arrests at political rally at Holyrood but none at Ibrox.  But then that club and its fans don’t have to conform to the same standards as the rest of us. 

On 06/03/2021 at 11:24, Brechin City FC said:

However with the way the league is going to run (I imagine multiple games per week)

If games start on the 20th that’s eight fixtures to game 36 as per the original fixture list. So we’re only talking about one additional round of games. Factor in that we’ve skipped Winter and the usual 2 or 3 postponements then we’re actually ahead of the curve. The SFA are waiting to see how things progress before deciding on the extra 4 games which would suggest they’ll be bolted onto the back of the season over a couple of weeks. Well do-able.

22 hours ago, St-ow! said:

Looks like, in order to approve  the 22 game option, all that the SPFL board want from League One and League Two clubs is consensus on a method of deciding how to deal with clubs who cannot complete 22 games.

Therefore, the clubs only need to assure the SPFL board that points per game will be used in such a scenario for the SPFL board to give the 22 game with split proposal their approval. 

Is anyone aware yet why they are so indignant about 22 games? I’m guessing it’s a money thing somehow. Or maybe QP v Elgin clashing with Champions League final?

The board don't think that the teams will manage to fit in all of the games if there's any Covid resurgence. And maybe that part timers are more likely to have Covid postponement issues.

So they're looking for the clubs to come up with a contingency plan. 

As I understand it.

If games start on the 20th that’s eight fixtures to game 36 as per the original fixture list. So we’re only talking about one additional round of games. Factor in that we’ve skipped Winter and the usual 2 or 3 postponements then we’re actually ahead of the curve. The SFA are waiting to see how things progress before deciding on the extra 4 games which would suggest they’ll be bolted onto the back of the season over a couple of weeks. Well do-able.

I've struggled to decipher this post, but have assumed that "game 36 per the original fixture list" actually refers to game 27 scheduled for 1st May.

Assuming this is what you mean, there are actually only 7 Saturdays between the scheduled restart date and the end of the season (20th March, 27th March, 3rd April, 10th April, 17th April, 24th April, 1st May). However, three of those Saturdays are Scottish Cup dates - alright, probably no more than one club at a push would be playing in the QF on 24th April, but several will be playing in R3 on 3rd April and probably at least a couple in R4 on 17th April.

Some teams in L1/L2 would still have 13 or 14 fixtures left to play under a 22 game schedule. A run to the Scottish Cup quarter-finals for any of these clubs would mean they only had 4 weekend league games and would have to play 9 or 10 midweek fixtures across the 6 midweeks left in the season. Even without any covid postponements that would be quite an undertaking.