Season a write off?

6 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I just hope to hell they have all started training now then otherwise the first few games could be carnage . :lol:

Do you wash the training gear or are the players trusted with that?

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

13 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Do you wash the training gear or are the players trusted with that?

Don't know . I retired years ago . 

Going by experience though it's more sensible for all the kit to be in one place . Some right forgetful guys out there. 

14 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

I haven’t spoken to any Brechin supporter that wants the season curtailed again. We are sick fed up of the media fuelled s**t that was thrust upon us last summer and we don’t want that again. We’ve done some good business in January and there is optimism that we will pull ourselves out of trouble.

Bring it on.  Who gives a flying fk about what Kelty, Brora, East Stirling or Third Lanark think about why the season was curtailed.

With that said, I do think while we've made reasonable improvements, particularly in goal, there is still a bit of work to be done at the other end of the pitch to get us comfortably to safety.

However with the way the league is going to run (I imagine multiple games per week), it's just going to turn into a crap-shoot as to who gets the least injuries and it's going to have a massive impact on results.  Whether we finish the season or not, whether Brechin finish bottom or not, this isn't a proper season and should be treated with a massive asterisk against it.  To sign up for a 27-game season (already reduced from the normal season) then after playing a handful games change the goalposts and still promote/relegate teams is a farce.  But then again what else would you expect from Scottish football?

Edit: That's without even bringing player welfare into it.

Edited by Brechin City FC

Fed up with, this season should be treated with an asterisk. Granted it’s unique but every season throws up it’s unique circumstances for individual teams. It’s the same playing field for everybody this season. Some are better prepared than others. 

80+% of players want to play according to a recent survey from the players Union.

31 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Fed up with, this season should be treated with an asterisk. Granted it’s unique but every season throws up it’s unique circumstances for individual teams. It’s the same playing field for everybody this season. Some are better prepared than others. 

80+% of players want to play according to a recent survey from the players Union.

Better prepared 😆

17 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I know you are trying to be controversial  but do people  honestly think last season was halted purely to save Brechin City ?

Last year was halted to piss off Thistle and Hearts. Brechin were unintended winners out of it.

16 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Would have thought that with the players Brechin have brought in they would be desperate to play and get up the League. 
Get yourself more kit.

The weather's picking up. Just paint the players in team colours.

4 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

When is the decision likely to be made ?  The longer it is delayed the more unlikely all the fixtures will be completed. 

3 hours ago, The Phoenix said:

The League matches will commence on 20 March so there will be no delay in that respect. 

Even if they do, the fixtures currently listed for March 20th are still the original ones. In Home/Away terms they have all already happened once earlier in the season, so if we're going for 18 or 22 games we still need a new fixture list for March 20th. I suppose one option is just to switch Home & Away, but that seems like common sense so may not happen!

On 05/03/2021 at 08:17, Ben Reilly said:

What's the rationale behind 22 games rather than 18? At first glance 18 seems the obvious choice as everyone plays each other home and away and there is a bit of breathing room in the fixtures if needed. Plus the season can finish on schedule?
I'm not sure what the benefit of another 4 games is, unless some teams think those extra games are what they need to gain/avoid playoff places/relegation/1st place.
I would have thought clubs would want to minimise the expense of testing and so fewer games would be better, especially as there is no income from having fans in the grounds.
Or are they holding out hope that by extending the season there's more chance of having fans allowed for the final few games?

Is it clear yet if there is to be a relegation play off from L2?  If not the excitement generated by the games in L2 bottom 5 split will be off the bottom end of the chart.

The luck of the draw for home games after the split could well determine promotion and play-off places. To the 20 clubs there may be a rational basis for the suggested split, but it hasn't yet been explained.

Edited by AlbionMan

Dunno what Brechin are doing, maybe sticking their heads in the sand hoping the season didna start or finish while others were preparing a squad for whatever eventuality.

Brechin have already made 5 new signings since January - 4 of which vastly experienced and the other a young striker from Rangers who was apparently banging in goals for the reserves.

Not suggestive of a club burying their heads in the sand.

29 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Dunno what Brechin are doing, maybe sticking their heads in the sand hoping the season didna start or finish while others were preparing a squad for whatever eventuality.

How do you prepare for an unpredictable pandemic?  Teams tried to 'prepare' for any disruption by agreeing to reduce the season to 27 games without any backup plan if things went tits up.  It's now gone tits up and that's on every club in the SPFL, not just Brechin or Elgin.

To suggest any club should be better prepared for this is insulting to the staff who I am sure were working hard trying to cover every eventuality.

59 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Can you explain what you mean by that ?  Or is it just made up in your own head ?