Season a write off?

7 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

I’d be mighty pissed off if we (Brechin) now only had 9 games to save ourselves from our position. 18 games for me is not enough to decide a season especially with so much at stake for those near the bottom. At least with the extra four games against the sides around about you it makes it a little fairer.

They can't just keep sparing Brechin every season. 

24 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I am  sorely missing attending games . The streaming is not the same though . I was an advocate for starting at any cost but having worked in the kit room for many years my thoughts immediately came to the logistical side of maintaining and packing kits and the difficulties of continual 2 games per week .  It then got to the effects on players fitness , attitudes at the testing , late nights  and driving everywhere on their own .  

The problems I highlighted are not restricted to Brechin . I am sure most part time clubs will be in the very same predicament. 

Ok for your full time guys who train for a couple of hours through the day and can quite easily find the time for testing without impacting on their personal lives. 

Understand that logistics could be a pain and part time players or volunteers getting getting to as many mid week games could be tough. 

Kits not so much, surely just alternate between home and away as much as possible.  

46 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I am  sorely missing attending games . The streaming is not the same though . I was an advocate for starting at any cost but having worked in the kit room for many years my thoughts immediately came to the logistical side of maintaining and packing kits and the difficulties of continual 2 games per week .  It then got to the effects on players fitness , attitudes at the testing , late nights  and driving everywhere on their own .  

The problems I highlighted are not restricted to Brechin . I am sure most part time clubs will be in the very same predicament. 

Ok for your full time guys who train for a couple of hours through the day and can quite easily find the time for testing without impacting on their personal lives. 

The weather's not to be too bad, you'll get loads of good drying days.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

2 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Understand that logistics could be a pain and part time players or volunteers getting getting to as many mid week games could be tough. 

Kits not so much, surely just alternate between home and away as much as possible.  

I take it you have not packed or maintained kits.

In my time there were at least four hampers full of playing kits (2 sets ) , warm up kits, track suits , cold weather jackets,  medical supplies, boots for the whole squad .   You have to get them back to the ground , wash and dry all the used kits in time for preparing for the next game whether it's home or away.  Replenish medical supplies , dry and clean boots .    Not quite as simple as just alternating kits . 

3 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I know you are trying to be controversial  but do people  honestly think last season was halted purely to save Brechin City ?

Not wholly, no, but the vibes from Brechin fans on here are that they don't wish for football to start again. Is that in the hoped they are saved once again?

Not really trying to be controversial to be honest. Having seen the work clubs have done to get games going, a longing to watch Stranraer again be it on a stream, over a wall or in the ground, it's crap reading football fans coming up with reasons not to get playing again.

Seen money used as an excuse, clubs were furnished with grants from the government, a gift from James Anderson and were able to furlough players and staff. With no training facilities to pay for, stadiums out of use surely outgoings can't haven't been all the great?  

2 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Not wholly, no, but the vibes from Brechin fans on here are that they don't wish for football to start again. Is that in the hoped they are saved once again?

Not really trying to be controversial to be honest. Having seen the work clubs have done to get games going, a longing to watch Stranraer again be it on a stream, over a wall or in the ground, it's crap reading football fans coming up with reasons not to get playing again.

Seen money used as an excuse, clubs were furnished with grants from the government, a gift from James Anderson and were able to furlough players and staff. With no training facilities to pay for, stadiums out of use surely outgoings can't haven't been all the great?  

I was just pointing out some of the actual difficulties facing most clubs.   Can't speak for the others but I would like to see Brechin get out of their current predicament on their own merit. 

6 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Would have thought that with the players Brechin have brought in they would be desperate to play and get up the League. 
Get yourself more kit.

That is correct . This is not just about Brechin though. 

Also you still have to pack and unpack the kit hampers no matter how many sets of kit you have . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

7 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

That is correct . This is not just about Brechin though. 

Also you still have to pack and unpack the kit hampers no matter how many sets of kit you have . 

I do have some sympathy for some added trouble part time clubs are going to face with the restart for the next month or 2.

But not wanting to play because you have to unpack some kit hampers twice a week. I’ve genuinely seen it all

That could cut either way. If you were team 41 after matchday 18 and ended up team 42 after matchday 22 you’d probably see it differently?

Not at all. I’d obviously be relieved if we avoided bottom but I’d have a great deal of sympathy for any club potentially going down after 18 matches. I simply don’t think it’s enough.

I haven’t spoken to any Brechin supporter that wants the season curtailed again. We are sick fed up of the media fuelled s**t that was thrust upon us last summer and we don’t want that again. We’ve done some good business in January and there is optimism that we will pull ourselves out of trouble.

1 minute ago, gm_1982 said:

Not at all. I’d obviously be relieved if we avoided bottom but I’d have a great deal of sympathy for any club potentially going down after 18 matches. I simply don’t think it’s enough.

Should have been agreement about shortened season before it started as it was fairly obvious it may happen.

6 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

But not wanting to play because you have to unpack some kit hampers twice a week. I’ve genuinely seen it all

We're not so bad now we are full time, but in our part time days a Saturday/Tuesday schedule meant a couple of hours washing on Saturday after the game (great fun if we were at Elgin or similar on the Saturday)  plus another three or four hours work on Sunday to get everything ready. Given that most kitmen at this level will be combining this with a full time job, a Saturday/Tuesday/Thursday/ Saturday schedule would be a real slog behind the scenes.

Not as simple as alternating kits, as theoriginalhedge listed. 

Guest The Phoenix
7 minutes ago, David W said:

Are players not washing their own kit due to Covid?

Only if you want them to come back a different colour and smaller. 

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

I do have some sympathy for some added trouble part time clubs are going to face with the restart for the next month or 2.

Be honest. You don't have any sympathy at all. :lol:

One concern I’ve heard is that 22 games will give central belt teams an advantage. Players based there but playing for far flung teams may not be able to get time off to travel to all games given the number that have to be played.