Season a write off?

What's the rationale behind 22 games rather than 18? At first glance 18 seems the obvious choice as everyone plays each other home and away and there is a bit of breathing room in the fixtures if needed. Plus the season can finish on schedule?
I'm not sure what the benefit of another 4 games is, unless some teams think those extra games are what they need to gain/avoid playoff places/relegation/1st place.
I would have thought clubs would want to minimise the expense of testing and so fewer games would be better, especially as there is no income from having fans in the grounds.
Or are they holding out hope that by extending the season there's more chance of having fans allowed for the final few games?

9 hours ago, Left Back said:

My understanding is they met and all agreed to end the season last season.  It won’t have been arbitrarily handed down by the league body.  They also agreed on no relegation which would have helped get the agreement.

The LL voted to end the season & declare Kelty as champions indeed. There is no reason to assume the same can't happen again. If the LL get the authorisation to restart (about which talks are ongoing), their aim is to finish the season when everybody has played each other once (not that many games needed for that) and then declare a champion.

9 hours ago, Left Back said:

Yes, by calling the leagues, which would require a vote, same as it did last season.  Good luck getting those votes through if no more games are played, especially in the HL.

If either/or are null and voided there is no champion.  Show me anywhere it states one can be elected (as seems to be another of the big misconceptions being bandied about here).

ETA rule 50 from the Highland League.  Anyone that thinks a champion can be arrived at in any other way is at it.

“At the end of each competition the Club scoring the highest number of points will be declared the Champion Club”

Goal difference is also covered under the same rule before people start firing in with that

There is nothing to stop the HL from having a vote on just declaring Brora champions again. It passed last year, they could use the argument that as Brora didn't get the chance to compete in the play-offs, it's fair enough to give them that chance now. Also, the HL isn't exactly full of sides desperate to join the SPFL, so I don't think that many teams would really object to it.

I’m not getting the let’s just declare champions because they won it last year and they’re unbeaten in a handful of games this year. I thought playing football in a particular season and collecting as much points as you can in that said period then that decided your future. Up, down or staying put. I do understand that we have a pandemic that has caused havoc with the schedule. I would say null and void before appointing winners.

10 hours ago, pipedreamer said:

Those same rules also state that the playoff can be modified by the spfl but can’t be cancelled unilaterally by one party of the agreement. The only reason the spfl got away with that shenanigan last season is the Scottish gov suspended all football indefinitely. Right now the games can take place with teams testing as per sfa/spfl rules.

Highland and Lowland League clubs are not currently allowed to play, with the exception of Highland League clubs still in the Scottish Cup.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Highland and Lowland League clubs are not currently allowed to play, with the exception of Highland League clubs still in the Scottish Cup.

They have been told by the sfa that if they were able to pcr test they would be able to play...

27 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

They have been told by the sfa that if they were able to pcr test they would be able to play...

That's good. In that case, even if the Lowland doesn't restart I can see a good case for allowing a champion (eg Kelty) to test specifically for the play-offs. The Highland is obviously a slightly trickier matter.

What's the rationale behind 22 games rather than 18? At first glance 18 seems the obvious choice as everyone plays each other home and away and there is a bit of breathing room in the fixtures if needed. Plus the season can finish on schedule?
I'm not sure what the benefit of another 4 games is, unless some teams think those extra games are what they need to gain/avoid playoff places/relegation/1st place.
I would have thought clubs would want to minimise the expense of testing and so fewer games would be better, especially as there is no income from having fans in the grounds.
Or are they holding out hope that by extending the season there's more chance of having fans allowed for the final few games?

I’d be mighty pissed off if we (Brechin) now only had 9 games to save ourselves from our position. 18 games for me is not enough to decide a season especially with so much at stake for those near the bottom. At least with the extra four games against the sides around about you it makes it a little fairer.

As much as I would like to see our leagues starting up again , it's not going to be as easy as most on here think.   

With the likelihood of at least 2 games a week for most teams , the logistics are going to be pretty tough on the players and the backroom staff.   As well as the testing  , players  and staff are going to have to travel to training and games on their own in single cars  as was mentioned a good while back. On testing nights some players won't be getting home till after midnight . This is bound to have adverse effects on performance . 

You also have the task of cleaning kit between games and packing for away games which is a real job  in itself . With two or possibly three games a week , this is going to stretch some clubs to the limit. 

Not saying it can't be done but it will take some effort from club staff to impose real working plans to ensure not only that the logistics are right but also that they are done safely. 

The costing aspect might become an issue as well . On top of the £1.2k  plus  per week for the testing , the travel expenses are going to rocket as well. 

It will be interesting to hear the players point of view on it all. 

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

That's good. In that case, even if the Lowland doesn't restart I can see a good case for allowing a champion (eg Kelty) to test specifically for the play-offs. The Highland is obviously a slightly trickier matter.

Not sure how many games the Lowland League were scheduled to play but they can't be far off half a season.

My own personal viewpoint is that if you get half a season in that should be enough to constitute a valid league.  Even if they aren't quite there surely something can be arranged testing wise to get to that point.

18 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

As much as I would like to see our leagues starting up again , it's not going to be as easy as most on here think.   

With the likelihood of at least 2 games a week for most teams , the logistics are going to be pretty tough on the players and the backroom staff.   As well as the testing  , players  and staff are going to have to travel to training and games on their own in single cars  as was mentioned a good while back. On testing nights some players won't be getting home till after midnight . This is bound to have adverse effects on performance . 

You also have the task of cleaning kit between games and packing for away games which is a real job  in itself . With two or possibly three games a week , this is going to stretch some clubs to the limit. 

Not saying it can't be done but it will take some effort from club staff to impose real working plans to ensure not only that the logistics are right but also that they are done safely. 

The costing aspect might become an issue as well . On top of the £1.2k  plus  per week for the testing , the travel expenses are going to rocket as well. 

Good points. I am not sure that many teams will have a big enough squad to get through this. Injuries are bound to be above average due to lack of match fitness if nothing else. What are the odds for guessing the number of goalkeepers having to play outfield at some point?

47 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

All 20 clubs put their name to a proposal to get back, they must have known that the logistics involved in playing would have been onerous before they did so.

I’m not sure the cost aspect will gather much sympathy either given the SPFL clubs were given £50k by James Anderson, to cover COVID related issues amongst other things.

Garner much sympathy among whom? The other 22 SPFL clubs really don't care either way if the lower leagues choose to continue or if they quite reasonably decides to null and void it instead. Nobody's putting a gun to their head and demanding that they play: it is the clubs (ostensibly all of them; in reality, I suspect, a few) who are putting these proposals together. 

1 hour ago, Big Dougie said:

All 20 clubs put their name to a proposal to get back, they must have known that the logistics involved in playing would have been onerous before they did so.

I’m not sure the cost aspect will gather much sympathy either given the SPFL clubs were given £50k by James Anderson, to cover COVID related issues amongst other things.

Those were just a few issues off the top of my head . Couple that with trying to get players match fit in two weeks and  you can see all sorts of injuries occurring , as Willibraveheart pointed out . 

Is it now just a case of starting up and to hell with the consequences and also with the possibility of covid  postponements   ,injury crises  etc ,     or putting the sensible head on and halting things to enable a full fixture season to start in August ?  

6 hours ago, gm_1982 said:

I’d be mighty pissed off if we (Brechin) now only had 9 games to save ourselves from our position. 18 games for me is not enough to decide a season especially with so much at stake for those near the bottom. At least with the extra four games against the sides around about you it makes it a little fairer.

That could cut either way. If you were team 41 after matchday 18 and ended up team 42 after matchday 22 you’d probably see it differently?

3 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

I’m sure all of that has been factored in. And the briefing note made reference to players keen to get the season completed. You’re just going to have to play football.

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Those were just a few issues off the top of my head . Couple that with trying to get players match fit in two weeks and  you can see all sorts of injuries occurring , as Willibraveheart pointed out . 

Is it now just a case of starting up and to hell with the consequences and also with the possibility of covid  postponements   ,injury crises  etc ,     or putting the sensible head on and halting things to enable a full fixture season to start in August ?  

Are you not missing the beautiful game? It’s almost like you don’t want Brechin FC to play. Why so?

9 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Are you not missing the beautiful game? It’s almost like you don’t want Brechin FC to play. Why so?

I’m desperate for us to play. I couldn’t put up with another summer of everyone moaning about how Scottish football is run for the benefit of Brechin City.

I also miss it despite the fact watching a stream is shite.  I think we will have enough to get out of trouble as well.

24 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

I am  sorely missing attending games . The streaming is not the same though . I was an advocate for starting at any cost but having worked in the kit room for many years my thoughts immediately came to the logistical side of maintaining and packing kits and the difficulties of continual 2 games per week .  It then got to the effects on players fitness , attitudes at the testing , late nights  and driving everywhere on their own .  

The problems I highlighted are not restricted to Brechin . I am sure most part time clubs will be in the very same predicament. 

Ok for your full time guys who train for a couple of hours through the day and can quite easily find the time for testing without impacting on their personal lives. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge