Season a write off?

49 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Not ignoring it which is why it's included. We just intrepret it differently.

So where is a club "failing to comply with membership criteria" that makes that rule remotely relevant to the HL (or LL) not finishing their season?  I'll give you a clue.  they aren't so that rule doesn't apply to this situation

I don't see how the HL can finish their season unless they're given a green light pretty much immediately.  I also don't see how they can declare a champion after 3 games.  The only logical result would therefore be null and void.  The playoff rules explicitly name champions, not candidates (iii a).

There is also no provision in the rules to automatically allow the LL champions to play-off against team 42.  You could say that's the fault of the SPFL (or SFA) but in fairness a situation where one league would finish and the other wouldn't was probably never envisaged when the rules were drafted.

I can't see any way within the rules (as they currently stand) that the trapdoor playoffs can take place unless some way is found to allow the HL and LL to finish some kind of a season.

Just now, craigkillie said:

And would be laughed out of the room just like the crack legal teams recruited by Hearts and Partick Thistle.

Totally different scenario.  Hearts and Partick were trying to circumvent the documented rules, hence they were laughed out of the room.

6 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Totally different scenario.  Hearts and Partick were trying to circumvent the documented rules, hence they were laughed out of the room.

Brechin would also be trying to invent their own rule in order to prevent the play-off being played, because there is simply no rule to cover this scenario.

31 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Brechin would also be trying to invent their own rule in order to prevent the play-off being played, because there is simply no rule to cover this scenario.

They really wouldn't be inventing a rule.  they'd be following the rules as currently written which don't have a scenario where the games can be played without two champions from the HL/LL

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Eh. There’s clearly an example where There is no HL vs LL play-off.

Not having a direct rule on a situation doesn’t mean that you can’t make a ruling on it.   Club 42 aren’t squirming out of this

No-one is empowered to make a ruling.  It would have to be a vote.  The clubs refused the authority before the season started for anyone to make rulings in scenarios such as these.  We all know that votes in Scottish football happen for the good of the game and not in self-interest so I'm sure the League 2 clubs will vote for play-offs to go ahead in this scenario if someone proposes it.

Guest The Phoenix

Clubs don't have a vote on the Play Off scenarios that may unfold. 

Also, as part of the pyramid, the Play Offs are not the sole property of the SPFL. 

What's the thinking behind the 22 game scenario?

18 Games would leave most teams with two or three midweek games and would finish at the same time as the top two divisions.

Also, which two teams would not be involved in the games after the split? Top and bottom?

13 minutes ago, The Phoenix said:

Clubs don't have a vote on the Play Off scenarios that may unfold. 

Also, as part of the pyramid, the Play Offs are not the sole property of the SPFL. 

Who gets to amend the rules then to ensure the playoffs go ahead if either HL or LL don't have a champion?  They also have the same wording in their rules.  No person or body has arbitrary authority to make changes.

This should all have been sorted out before the season started as there was always a chance it wouldn't get finished and it's going to lead to the same mess that happened at the end of last season.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

We are only 5 points off 4th but no we aren't pushing for promotion. We are very much in danger of being relegated. Yet, Dumbarton released a statement the other night saying they were delighted that the go ahead has been given and we'll be back training as soon as we can. That's because we're a football club who signed up to play football this season and we're good guys who are true to their word. 

Do you want to have another go?

Don’t think it’ll be too long before we’ll be playing each other again and not because I think we’ll be promoted. 

6 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Don’t think it’ll be too long before we’ll be playing each other again and not because I think we’ll be promoted. 

I did say we were in danger of being relegated in the very post you've replied to. Not sure this is the dagger to the heart you thought it was.

1 hour ago, JT1867 said:

What's the thinking behind the 22 game scenario?

18 Games would leave most teams with two or three midweek games and would finish at the same time as the top two divisions.

Also, which two teams would not be involved in the games after the split? Top and bottom?

Everyone would be involved.  Two groups of 5 after the split and you play all the other teams so 4 games.

29 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Everyone would be involved.  Two groups of 5 after the split and you play all the other teams so 4 games.

7 minutes ago, JT1867 said:

Epic maths fail by me!

Yes but in each round of games a team would sit out. You could have the ludicrous scenario going into the last week that teams in 3rd, 4th and 5th place are all on the same points with the team in 3rd place finished their regular season. The teams in 4th and 5th could have a week to know that a draw puts them both in the play offs.

8 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:

Yes but in each round of games a team would sit out. You could have the ludicrous scenario going into the last week that teams in 3rd, 4th and 5th place are all on the same points with the team in 3rd place finished their regular season. The teams in 4th and 5th could have a week to know that a draw puts them both in the play offs.

Another fine mess.