Season a write off?

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I refuse to believe that the elite sport exemption, designed for athletes across dozens of different sports at all sorts of professional levels, explicitly specifies the exact competitions in which those athletes are allowed to compete without quarantining.

You can refuse to believe it if you like, but it remains a fact.

See The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (International Travel) (Scotland) Regulations 2020, schedule 3A.  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/169/schedule/3A

22 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

You can refuse to believe it if you like, but it remains a fact.

See The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (International Travel) (Scotland) Regulations 2020, schedule 3A.  https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2020/169/schedule/3A

It doesn't set out a specific set of competitions for football - instead it has the fairly vague "International Football Fixtures", with no mention of which competitions this relates to.

On 22/02/2021 at 18:13, EdinburghBlue said:

“It estimated that between 17 July and 30 August, there were 46 "import events" into Scotland - 28 from England, 13 from mainland Europe and four from Asia.”

And from the FT:

FCDCB39F-F010-4462-A8CE-BB34DEE31561.jpeg

Just for you. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/tourists-england-not-covid-threat-23563127

On 23/02/2021 at 17:34, craigkillie said:

It doesn't set out a specific set of competitions for football - instead it has the fairly vague "International Football Fixtures", with no mention of which competitions this relates to.

Yes it does. You've missed paragraph 1

"UEFA Champions League and Europa League fixtures". That is pretty specific.

Para 2 is "International Football fixtures", and 27 is "UEFA Youth League fixtures".

So no domestic competitions, or friendlies, are included.

5 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

Yes it does. You've missed paragraph 1

"UEFA Champions League and Europa League fixtures". That is pretty specific.

Para 2 is "International Football fixtures", and 27 is "UEFA Youth League fixtures".

So no domestic competitions, or friendlies, are included.

Sorry, to be clearer, it doesn't set out a fully exhaustive list of competitions - it does list some specific competitions as you mentioned, but then "International Football fixtures" is incredibly vague. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the Greek league could be included in that since it is a) a football fixture and b) international given that it is in a different country.

I'll say again what I said earlier - I think it is very unlikely that the officials made this trip without permission from the Scottish government in some way or other.

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Sorry, to be clearer, it doesn't set out a fully exhaustive list of competitions - it does list some specific competitions as you mentioned, but then "International Football fixtures" is incredibly vague. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the Greek league could be included in that since it is a) a football fixture and b) international given that it is in a different country.

I'll say again what I said earlier - I think it is very unlikely that the officials made this trip without permission from the Scottish government in some way or other.

The meaning of "International" in a sporting context is well established. Your suggested interpretation would cover every game outside Scotland, which is clearly not what is intended.

3 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

The meaning of "International" in a sporting context is well established. Your suggested interpretation would cover every game outside Scotland, which is clearly not what is intended.

What is intended then? They were very specific about Champions League and Europa League, why not do the same with "International"?

What is intended then? They were very specific about Champions League and Europa League, why not do the same with "International"?
Actually you can rule out a domestic game in Greece being an International as the teams represented the same nation therefore it is not an International. In football it is quite clear that International matches are when the National teams from different nations play each other.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Why not indeed. Possibly the people who wrote the legislation aren't as clever as you or me.

However, I'd suggest the meaning of international football is clear and well-known and they didn't think it needed to be spelled out.

Are we not losing a bit of focus here?

I'm pretty sure that "international football fixtures" is not intended to cover participation of Scottish referees in domestic Greek matches (or any other nation). It's clearly meant to cover travel for matches either involving Scottish representative sides or officials officiating at other international games. It's not necessarily an exhaustive list though is it? It doesn't cover training camps in Dubai either (re-opens can of worms that has been parked to the side for a while) yet all parties have already conceded that that whilst potentially ill-advised, was not illegal and didn't break any rules. I imagine following the request from UEFA for a Scottish officiating team either a decision was made at the SFA to ratify that, or, if protocols require, a check was made with the JRG / Scottish Govt as to whether it was permissable.

The issue here isn't that they went, it's that it wasn't dealt with correctly when they returned.

For what it's worth though, UEFA should be taking a look at themselves here. Countries around the world are to varying degrees in lockdown, playing behind closed doors and limiting unnecessary travel. Why the Hell is it felt appropriate and necessary now to have a referee team from Scotland to do a Greek domestic fixture? That is in itself mental.

Given the comments by Leitch today I think that is the season over. Does not think that clubs should travel from Dumfries to Elgin and in terms of equality we should be thinking about getting woman's football back. Who is deciding what we do because it certainly does not seem like the government?

54 minutes ago, Elric said:

Given the comments by Leitch today I think that is the season over. Does not think that clubs should travel from Dumfries to Elgin and in terms of equality we should be thinking about getting woman's football back. Who is deciding what we do because it certainly does not seem like the government?

Who do you think is making decisions?

1 hour ago, Elric said:

He said he is “concerned” about clubs travelling travelling from Dumfries to Elgin for example.

Just now, Elric said:

He certainly has the FM's ear and appears to be very influential. 

As I understand it, Leitch gives advice to the Government who then make decisions. He seems to have enjoy the attention and volunteers for too much exposure in the media, but ultimately it's Government that makes the decisions.

At least the powers that be(down south) have showed some sort of interest in non league, grassroots football etc in trying to restart (with fans) even though it never came to much. Seems as though the Scottish government have almost too much on their plate, unwilling to make decisions about the game itself. Almost as if they don't want to be held accountable for any unlikely surges that occur IF the game restarted.

26 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Seems as though the Scottish government have almost too much on their plate, 

Gee you think so right now?

The idea that the league fixtures of Burntisland Shipyard are or ought to be anywhere near the top of the government's priority list right now is just baffling. Why can't Scottish football work out a solution for itself and just can whatever daft attempt to 'finish' this season without having a government minister to hold their hand?

Continue from July/August, declare it null and void, reconstruct - all of this could be put on the table without government participation. It is not their job to come running when Scottish football clubs want an exemption to play, in the same way that hairdressers and pubs do not have a direct line to Holyrood. 

The biggest thing on the Scottish governments plate at the moment seems to be the genitalia of one of our former first ministers (nice image that) and the recently alleged overuse of them. Seems keen to do to the nation what he was found not to have done to a dozen or so individuals.. if our league had to be shut down because of the pandemic so be it but the premier league and championship should have been shut down as well. Decisions (by whichever organisations were responsible) should not have been made in an arbitrary fashion and communication with clubs should have been better. Government extremely busy, football authorities not. Disappointing but not surprising. Election coming, opportunity for a political two footed challenge

Edited by true fan