Season a write off?

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Premier league players will be going to the supermarket or going to a petrol station every week / month despite being in a bubble. 

Its totally out of order going to  a house party (especially with the privileges they have) but I cant believe the actual first minister of the country is getting her knickers in a twist about two or  three lads going to a house.

My point to the left back was that his suggestion of going to the supermarket had no bearing on what we were discussing.

She's not. She was asked the question by the media and gave a sensible answer.  If anything it was our beloved media trying to make a huge issue out of it. 

Edit  It was also not about just 2 or 3 lads though.   Just saying . 

Edited by theoriginalhedge

Premier league players will be going to the supermarket or going to a petrol station every week / month despite being in a bubble. 

Its totally out of order going to  a house party (especially with the privileges they have) but I cant believe the actual first minister of the country is getting her knickers in a twist about two or  three lads going to a house.

First it was just a few players in an Aberdeen pub.

Then it was just one player nipping over to Spain.

Then it was just a couple of players at a party

Then it was just 60 players and staff flying 4000 miles for a piss-up by the pool

Then it was just a few players at a party.

Then it was just...

18 minutes ago, Elric said:

And how long is it before other halfwits say " If its good enough for them, it's good enough for us".   The problem is these clowns think they are untouchable. Football was permitted as a privilege it can easily be taken away. We have suffered through the cheeks behaviour in the lower divisions it would be hilarious if she stopped the season now for all.

That would be a real "world's against us"  popcorn moment . 

Maybe it’s about electioneering?

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

First it was just a few players in an Aberdeen pub.

Then it was just one player nipping over to Spain.

Then it was just a couple of players at a party

Then it was just 60 players and staff flying 4000 miles for a piss-up by the pool

Then it was just a few players at a party.

Then it was just...

.....avoid hammering those involved and shutdown any sacrificial lambs we can find....the lower leagues will do as we really don't give a f*ck about them!

Guest The Phoenix

Maybe it's about her being rightly outraged about footballers abusing the exemption provided to elite sports?

The outrage won't stop with her if SPFL1 & 2 Clubs are denied the opportunity to complete their season. 

The bigoted cheeks are an absolute pox on our society.

They should be shut down, all holdings and possessions nationalised, stadia demolished and turned into something useful, like affordable housing or an urban farm.

Our divisions got closed down because Celtic just had to go to Dubai and take the piss. Now this.

If Nicola closes down the season as a result no one can really have any complaints. With an election in the wind she won't, though.

For fans of the part time clubs in the lower two divisions this latest two fingers in our faces from 25-grand-a-week OF footballers really is enraging.

12 hours ago, Left Back said:

Are you honestly trying to say that footballers 24/7 are to isolate themselves from society?  They can’t even go to the local supermarket for their shopping?  Do you really think that’s what the bubble is?  Thankfully no authorities, football or governmental, agree with you.

I would think that outside football they will have to maintain social distancing, keeping within family bubbles, maintaining protocols at shops, wearing masks etc, attending house parties is in breach of government protocol so in the end a breach of club protocol.

Almost everywhere in Europe clubs suffer strict liability for the behaviour of their fans. Some politicians wanted to introduce this in Scotland, although it was argued to be unworkable in the case of two particular clubs.  But if we have strict liability for the behaviour of fans, then why not for players?  After all employers are now held to be responsible for the behaviour of their employees outside of work in some circumstances e.g. social events.  If an employer can be liable for comments made at a Christmas party then the case is even stronger when employees collectively behave in a way that could endanger lives.  So let’s make Rangers* responsible for the behaviour of their players.

But this probably won’t happen because we have an election coming up.

Maybe it's about her being rightly outraged about footballers abusing the exemption provided to elite sports?
The outrage won't stop with her if SPFL1 & 2 Clubs are denied the opportunity to complete their season. 

In what way does attending a party, something which is forbidden for absolutely everyone, correspond to "abusing the exemption provided to elite sports"?

Guest The Phoenix
20 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

In what way does attending a party, something which is forbidden for absolutely everyone, correspond to "abusing the exemption provided to elite sports"?

In every way you can imagine when it comes to SG making a decision as to whether or not to allow SPFL1 & 2 return to playing. 

1 minute ago, The Phoenix said:

In every way you can imagine when it comes to SG making a decision as to whether or not to allow SPFL1 & 2 return to playing. 

That didn't answer my question in the slightest. People from all walks of life who go to parties are arseholes. Every single one of them is breaking the law and should be punished accordingly. That's not any different whether you are a footballer, a cleaner, a politician or an architect. In none of those cases should the industry they work for be affected in any way, especially not for a handful of isolated cases across a 6 month period.

Guest The Phoenix
1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

That didn't answer my question in the slightest. People from all walks of life who go to parties are arseholes. Every single one of them is breaking the law and should be punished accordingly. That's not any different whether you are a footballer, a cleaner, a politician or an architect. In none of those cases should the industry they work for be affected in any way, especially not for a handful of isolated cases across a 6 month period.

Correct but cleaners, politicians and architects breaking the law won't have a potentially negative impact on the return to playing for SPFL1 & 2. 

4 minutes ago, The Phoenix said:

Correct but cleaners, politicians and architects breaking the law won't have a potentially negative impact on the return to playing for SPFL1 & 2. 

It won't have any potentially negative impact on their industry whatsoever, and the same should be true of footballers.

Guest The Phoenix
4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It won't have any potentially negative impact on their industry whatsoever, and the same should be true of footballers.

I don't disagree but then I'm looking at it from a totally different perspective than SG are likely to. 

Scottish Football was allowed to return  to playing.

Indiscretions by professional footballers took place.

SG warned of the potential consequences of a repeat. 

Further indiscretions by professional footballers have taken place... 

4 minutes ago, true fan said:

as a matter of interest craiglillie, are we to assume you support the instant return of leagues 1 and 2 to action?

Yes, I don't see an issue with them playing now if they are subject to the same stringent testing regime that the top flight players have been undergoing all season and which the Championship have now had in place for nearly two months. Like so many of the current restrictions, I believe the decision to halt it is based on optics (ie it doesn't look good to have people travelling up and down the country every week) rather than public health. As far as I can tell there has been little evidence of football or any other outdoor sport being a source of spreading the disease.

59 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Yes, I don't see an issue with them playing now if they are subject to the same stringent testing regime that the top flight players have been undergoing all season and which the Championship have now had in place for nearly two months. Like so many of the current restrictions, I believe the decision to halt it is based on optics (ie it doesn't look good to have people travelling up and down the country every week) rather than public health. As far as I can tell there has been little evidence of football or any other outdoor sport being a source of spreading the disease.

That is true  even when the lower leagues were playing , which makes the stoppage all the more frustrating.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Peiople making fewer needless journeys = reduced contact. Our schools are shut ffs while Tom, Dick and Harry play for expenses up and down the land. The amount of clubs permitted to play was a joke.

9 hours ago, Smokerson said:

She gets asked about these things and answers.