Season a write off?

You know what will happen ,the decision will be put off again on the 1March for further review . Then it will be a bun fight over a 18 game season. Stop start seasons is useless to everyone and they should be working towards a start date for a new season with fans back at the games because all I know is football is pure pish without the fans.

9 minutes ago, Vodka Vic said:

You know what will happen ,the decision will be put off again on the 1March for further review . Then it will be a bun fight over a 18 game season. Stop start seasons is useless to everyone and they should be working towards a start date for a new season with fans back at the games because all I know is football is pure pish without the fans.

I completely agree. 
Scrap this season and concentrate on getting a new season with fans back.

This season is a sham and shouldn’t even have started. 

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Thought we were told before that it was the SFA's decision to suspend the semi-professional  leagues?

Increasingly looking that the very best we’ll get is once home and away. 

The SFA postponed the league fixtures last year and the SG gave the green light for professional football to resume, so nothing has changed. 

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

The SFA postponed the league fixtures last year and the SG gave the green light for professional football to resume, so nothing has changed. 

The SFA statement could explain this much better.  The impression was given when they announced the original suspension that the decision was theirs. 

Edited by EdinburghBlue

On 09/02/2021 at 19:29, EdinburghBlue said:

The SFA statement could explain this much better.  The impression was given when they announced the original suspension that the decision was theirs. 

Wonder what the would have happened if there had been no pandemic. There wouldn’t have been many games played in the lower leagues since Christmas. All is not yet lost, wishful thinking?

On 09/02/2021 at 19:29, EdinburghBlue said:

It was theirs. I imagine the Govt were pressuring for it and probably threatening to take a much more swingeing decision over their heads if they didn't though.

I imagine it's likely that with everything going on in January the Govt said they needed a step back from football and either the SFA took a decision to limit it to a certain level or they would just pause it altogether. They won't get clearance to restart those levels without Govt agreement though.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was theirs. I imagine the Govt were pressuring for it and probably threatening to take a much more swingeing decision over their heads if they didn't though.

I imagine it's likely that with everything going on in January the Govt said they needed a step back from football and either the SFA took a decision to limit it to a certain level or they would just pause it altogether. They won't get clearance to restart those levels without Govt agreement though.

Hardly think if I hold a pistol to your head and say if you don’t press the trigger I will that it’s your decision!  If you are correct - and you may well be - then a bit more honesty would be helpful!

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

A more swingeing decision such as shutting football altogether?

I imagine so. I doubt the Govt would, in the first instance, get involved in deciding levels and that's probably why the SFA dealt with it. I think in terms of football being allowed or not the Govt probably were only interested in "yes" or "no". I suspect (with no inside knowledge on this) that it was probably made clear to the SFA that if they didn't deal with it then the Govt would call a halt altogether.

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Hardly think if I hold a pistol to your head and say if you don’t press the trigger I will that it’s your decision!  If you are correct - and you may well be - then a bit more honesty would be helpful!

That's not a good comparison though. It's not the same decision if Govt would have been all or nothing and the SFA are able to take a levels decision. The shoot half or your own head or we shoot all of it comparison doesn't really work!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I imagine so. I doubt the Govt would, in the first instance, get involved in deciding levels and that's probably why the SFA dealt with it. I think in terms of football being allowed or not the Govt probably were only interested in "yes" or "no". I suspect (with no inside knowledge on this) that it was probably made clear to the SFA that if they didn't deal with it then the Govt would call a halt altogether.

Kind of adds a bit of credence to the argument that Leagues 1 and below we're offered up as a sacrifice, despite assurances from others who have tried to assure it was just because we were predominantly part time. 

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Kind of adds a bit of credence to the argument that Leagues 1 and below we're offered up as a sacrifice, despite assurances from others who have tried to assure it was just because we were predominantly part time. 

I don't think it does. Firstly I don't know anything about this so me saying it doesn't add any credence to anything at all. I could also say the Moon is made of green cheese but it wouldn't make it any more credible either.

Even if I'm right, it's not quite the "offered up as sacrifice" angle. That might be the case if the SFA came up with it off their own back (which they may have for all I know). It isn't really the case if the Govt said "do this or we'll do more". Semantics maybe but there's an "SFA betrayed us" mantra in the sacrifice line which probably isn't fair. If they were for instance told all football stops unless you stop some of it then it's not a sacrifice as such. And make no mistake about it, as unfair as it may feel, part time SPFL clubs are a lot better off with the Premiership playing than with it not doing so (Championship is a more marginal question granted).

I don't think there's any doubt the part time thing is still relevant. It why the point of the line was drawn where it was. I don't think there was any other reason in that. For the sake of argument if say 7 or 8 League One clubs had been clearly full time I imagine the line would have been drawn below it. .

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I don't think it does. Firstly I don't know anything about this so me saying it doesn't add any credence to anything at all. I could also say the Moon is made of green cheese but it wouldn't make it any more credible either.

Even if I'm right, it's not quite the "offered up as sacrifice" angle. That might be the case if the SFA came up with it off their own back (which they may have for all I know). It isn't really the case if the Govt said "do this or we'll do more". Semantics maybe but there's an "SFA betrayed us" mantra in the sacrifice line which probably isn't fair. If they were for instance told all football stops unless you stop some of it then it's not a sacrifice as such. And make no mistake about it, as unfair as it may feel, part time SPFL clubs are a lot better off with the Premiership playing than with it not doing so (Championship is a more marginal question granted).

I don't think there's any doubt the part time thing is still relevant. It why the point of the line was drawn where it was. I don't think there was any other reason in that. For the sake of argument if say 7 or 8 League One clubs had been clearly full time I imagine the line would have been drawn below it. .

I don't think we've been betrayed, you need to be promised something to be betrayed, but folk went to quite the length to suggest we weren't offered up as some sort of compromise for the growing pressure on football at the time. It sticks in the craw a bit when it gets suggested that probably was the case now.

3 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Wonder what the would have happened if there had been no pandemic. There wouldn’t have been many games played in the lower leagues since Christmas. All is not yet lost, wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking - Absolutely.

Hands up anybody thinks that the season is likely to restart?

It’s done. Clubs would be as well going into hibernation as far as possible until a re-start with some fans present, is possible.

I don’t think there’s any guarantee that this will be in August, either. This is a grim, grim crisis for the lower leagues - and there is still no exit strategy that anyone can hold onto.

The lower leagues are caught between two bodies who really don’t care very much about their specific problems- the Scottish government on one hand and the SFA on the other.

I understand fully that the government have far more important things to worry about and have no issue with their stance. I’m not sure what the football authorities excuse is though. 

8 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Sorry maybe its me but I've read your post a number of times but I don't understand what you are saying here?

23 minutes ago, Blue Oktober said:

Sorry maybe its me but I've read your post a number of times but I don't understand what you are saying here?

He is suggesting the weather has generally been so bad since the mid January lockdown that most lower league sides would barely have played in a month anyway. Which is true but misses the point somewhat. Some would have been played and there is still another three weeks before you can even start training at best. Its not really directly comparable.

SFA now passing the buck to the Scottish Government, going by their statement.
Whole thing is a fuckin shambles 

Wow, imagine something happening in Scottish football being a shambles, it’s another in an ever-growing long list.

Wishful thinking - Absolutely.
Hands up anybody thinks that the season is likely to restart?

I think we are in an unlikely period but we are moving into the highly unlikely period, I'm struggling to see it if we get into March with the league still mothballed.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He is suggesting the weather has generally been so bad since the mid January lockdown that most lower league sides would barely have played in a month anyway. Which is true but misses the point somewhat. Some would have been played and there is still another three weeks before you can even start training at best. Its not really directly comparable.

Yeah thanks I sort of get that from the first sentence. I guess it is more specifically the first sentence I am perplexed  and cannot fathom .