Season a write off?

The Times reporting today that the suspension of lower league football will continue for at least an additional two weeks to mid-February. If this doesn’t continue too much longer then we’re maybe looking at an18 game league season rather than 27.  But this extension already starting to create real problems for the Scottish Cup.

Watched 2 games online at the start then gave up - unwatchable IMO. I always went in at 2.40 and straight home at final whistle so not a big social thing for me. I will go back but I have been surprised that I have missed it a bit but really not massively.

off topic but - one of my main interests is cinema  - average over twice a week, withdrawals if I went 7-8 days without. I haven’t missed that as much as I thought either. After lockdown I’m planning to half my viewing, be more choosy. So if we are looking at the lockdown it has been a chance to take stock and review how we spend our time.

hope I’m wrong but wonder if crowds will be down after (somebody else said) a busy first couple of weeks as people mark the end of lockdown

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The Times reporting today that the suspension of lower league football will continue for at least an additional two weeks to mid-February. If this doesn’t continue too much longer then we’re maybe looking at an18 game league season rather than 27.  But this extension already starting to create real problems for the Scottish Cup.

We're out the Cup; scrap it!

12 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

We're out the Cup; scrap it!

I could understand the League Cup being scrapped; since neither Celtic or Rangers* can win it it’s clearly no longer important. But since both in the Scottish suspect that there will be a clamour to find some solution, probably by chucking out the semiprofessional sides. 

47 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I could understand the League Cup being scrapped; since neither Celtic or Rangers* can win it it’s clearly no longer important. But since both in the Scottish suspect that there will be a clamour to find some solution, probably by chucking out the semiprofessional sides. 

Scottish cup shouldn’t be too bad, think worse case could be carrying over later stage games into next season.

5 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

As someone who's team are in tomorrows semi final and who is lucky enough to be going I say keep the league cup,   I might change my mind at 7.15 tomorrow night .

Going by the president set last season we have until December to finish the cup so no need to scrap anything yet or eject teams. 

The priority should however be to get the leagues to a finish in some sort , be it 18 games and then have the play offs. 

1 hour ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Given the carry on with 2019/20, I think the SPFL will make it a big priority to have a finish and a semblance of a fair finish, e.g. in our division, play only twice.

I hope that you're right with this ending with an 18 game league, but fear that it will end up like an airport wait for a delayed flight where the bad news about further delays is drip fed every 30 minutes or so. Here tiers 3 and 4 would be on the receiving end of fortnightly announcements further extending the shut down of the lower leagues till it's too late to get going again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the BetFred continues as the semi finalists are from the premiership.

The Scottish cup could continue with all remaining teams below the championship thanked for their participation, with a suitable hand out depending on whether they were still in the draw or out at one of the completed rounds. Then the cup gets played out with the 20 remaining from the top two tiers, Alloa being the only side already out, and Morton - Dunfermline goes ahead to see which one will be in the next round, then 4 ties and 12 byes.

21 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Journalist Ewan Murray claiming on Twitter that League 1 & 2 clubs have submitted a plan for using PCR testing (expensive!) as a way to restart playing.

Seems sensible to me. Each Club has received a minimum of 150k from the Government and James Anderson. They surely can use this for testing instead of signing players or extending contracts to 2024!

It is a club-specific podcast, but supporters of other sides may find interesting the comments from Stranraer manager Steve Farrell and Vice-Chairman Shaun Niven on the lack of consultation on the suspension and when and how we might restart.

https://soundcloud.com/user-88135465/its-no-easy-106-the-unofficial