Season a write off?

I believe the teams had to sign up to finish the season; given all the acrimonious carry on last season, I'd be very surprised if the SPFL called a halt.

If it's ok for us to swarm into supermarkets like worker ants on speed, it should be ok for football to continue in a very controlled environment, even if it's without fans. The real concern, though, is teams running out of cash.

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

I believe the teams had to sign up to finish the season; given all the acrimonious carry on last season, I'd be very surprised if the SPFL called a halt.

If it's ok for us to swarm into supermarkets like worker ants on speed, it should be ok for football to continue in a very controlled environment, even if it's without fans. The real concern, though, is teams running out of cash.

Whilst I'm trying to envisage worker ants (or any ants) on speed and wondering how you know what that looks like, here's this. If Nicola pulls the pin the SPFL won't have a say. Now that she can enact law on a toss of a coin there ain't no stoppin' her now. But I sense the TV barons have the clout here really. Despite Cowden fans (they don't like it up 'em) desperately looking for a bolt for that trapdoor I'd be very surprised if this already stunted season doesn't complete simply because of advertising contracts and revenues for the telly. And if teams had to sign up to finish, one would like to think they were savvy enough to have a quid pro quo on that clause with the SPFL.

If QP get denied promotion again this season then we should just take the jerseys, balls, cups and goalposts back.

3 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Going to a supermarket - as much as some folk take the piss - is an essential activity. Holding an 'elite' level football match between plumbers and brickies in front of a bunch of committee men is not.

We're not really in a lockdown as the list of exemptions to staying at home is still a mile long. There's no credible argument for football continuing though and if (quite frankly when) the SG goes even further in the coming weeks then it has to go. It is the polar opposite of essential activity and no credible bubble can be formed among staff and players outside of the top flight either.

55 minutes ago, virginton said:

Going to a supermarket - as much as some folk take the piss - is an essential activity. Holding an 'elite' level football match between plumbers and brickies in front of a bunch of committee men is not.

We're not really in a lockdown as the list of exemptions to staying at home is still a mile long. There's no credible argument for football continuing though and if (quite frankly when) the SG goes even further in the coming weeks then it has to go. It is the polar opposite of essential activity and no credible bubble can be formed among staff and players outside of the top flight either.

But the streaming of games to the population, many of whom are isolated is an essential service and why most Clubs down to EoS league are doing it now.

9 hours ago, Neilly said:

I don't really understand how part time football is allowed to continue when the situation is as bad as we are lead to believe. There is no testing at this level. Why can't I play 5 a sides with my pals but lower and non league players can play football three times a week? What's the difference if there is no testing? I don't get how we can fall under a professional banner for sport when there is no testing.

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

I think it is because the risk of transmission when playing football is low (outside, contact is not constantly close), so, in an ideal world, they'd let outdoor sport continue regardless.

The problem is that injuries and so on will take up hospital places that may be needed for Covid isolation.

Elite sport is better equipped to deal with that sort of thing, either privately or with a club's own resources.   The average Sunday league team cannot provide much medical care beyond a magic sponge.  And that's on top of the risk with regular activities that people could be injured in car crashes just trying to get there.  It's all about keeping the hospitals empty rather than stopping transmission.

2 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

But the streaming of games to the population, many of whom are isolated is an essential service and why most Clubs down to EoS league are doing it now.

No it isn't, not even remotely. 

Question at today’s First Minister's press conference about whether football should be allowed to continue. Apparently Dalbeattie Star want to stop playing but don’t want to do this unilaterally as they fear being punished by the Lowland League. 

2 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

The answer was?

A threat that if clubs don’t behave the special privileges for professional sport will be withdrawn.

Might be ironic if the season had to be declared null and void because of Celtic’s Dubai trip. 

On 05/01/2021 at 07:43, Neilly said:

I don't really understand how part time football is allowed to continue when the situation is as bad as we are lead to believe. There is no testing at this level. Why can't I play 5 a sides with my pals but lower and non league players can play football three times a week? What's the difference if there is no testing? I don't get how we can fall under a professional banner for sport when there is no testing.

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Totally agree

On 05/01/2021 at 09:07, The Phoenix said:

I completely understand your concern Neilly and it could all go pear-shaped at any time.

However, whilst I cannot speak for Clubs outside of the SPFL, all Clubs (including Part Time) from the Championship down adhere to strict Covid Protocols, including reporting and recording of any symptoms and temperature testing before any access to training sessions or on a match day. 

To date, we have had one player test positive having contracted the virus whilst carrying out his "day job" and based on close contact two of our players subsequently self-isolated for 14 days. 

It's not perfect but the precautions taken and the adherence to protocols are undoubtedly a big step up from "social football with your pals". 

Let's hope we can all get back to some sort of group exercise sooner rather than later... patience is most certainly not one of my virtues! 

All the best, 

TP

Many, many businesses implemented far stricter protocols than part time football clubs have, and were instantly shut down across the whole country by politicians.